16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  1903 Remington 16 guage sxs Ammunition???
Capt. Dave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

I got to shoot an old Remington 1903 16 gauge sxs the other day. A wonderful gun I am considering. We shot modern Remington skeet loads and when it was cleaned, a small amount of particles came out of the barrels on the cleaning cloths. The barrels look fine and no worse for the wear upon close inspection. If I aquire this gun, what brand/type of ammo would be recommended for upland gunning?

Many thanks in advance for your replies...
M D Christian
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

I'm assuming you mean a Model 1894 or 1900, made in 1903, as Remington didn't make a model 1903.. You didn't say what kind of barrel steel, Damascus or Fluid Steel, not that it realy matters as long as you keep the chamber pressures at 7,500-8,000 PSI. I would try Poly-Wad or Kent..The model 1900 was a cheapened version of the 1894, not having quite the fit and finish or wood quality, The easiest way to tell the difference, is the forend ,, The 1894 had an Anson type release and the1900 was a Friction type,, The model 1894 is serial numbered in the 100,000 range an the 1900 is in the 300,000 range.. Since Remington stopped production of SxSs in 1910, they were still in the era of the 2 5/8" shot shell for 12 bores, I would have the chamber length checked..If the gun was a Hammered model 1889, forget all the above..MDC
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:06 am  Reply with quote

Capt. D
Thats a nice old SxS and I have one here I use some during the year. I would say the particles your talking are plastic and some lead. Not a big deal just clean it as your doing. You do not want to put that off the selve ammo through this gun either buy / reload you ammo so its low pressure and recoil. The recoil busts these old SxS's up. What have you got 1894 / 1900 ? ejectors ? Good luck and if its in good shape don't miss it buy it. Smile
Capt. Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies Capt. Billy & MD Christian. The information your supplied is most helpful.

It is a model 1900 16 gauge with ejectors, fluid steel, friction-type forend. Condition is very good good, but not "new in the box." As far as chamber length, I don't know, I did not have the chance to measure them. But the old-timer has been using 2 3/4" and we shot a few boxes of 2 3/4" through it while trying it out. I will have the chambers measured before taking ownership of the little gun. I will shoot Kent or Poly-Wad as you recommend. If the chamber length is 2 5/8" can I buy ammmo of this lengthfrom Kent or Poly-Wad or does it have to be hand-loaded?

What is the worth of this gun based on its "very good" condition? I know that is very difficult without holding it in your hands...

Capt. Billy - is your 1900 a 16 gauge and does it have 2 5/8" chambers or 2 3/4" chambers?

Thank you again for all your very helpful information!
M D Christian
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Capt. Dave: It sounds like you have a nice one.. Value is difficult, as you say, The 16 bore Remigtons are somewhat on the scarce side, I would say between $500-$700, If the Remington 1900 and 1894 have a short coming, it is the Fitting of the stock head, so many of them have cracked or repared stocks... You can get the low pressure shells in 2 1/2" length, which will work fine,,,Enjoy It..MDC
Capt. Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, MD.

One more question: If the chambers turn out to be 2 3/4" instead of the 2 5/8", can I still shoot 2 1/2" poly-wad of kent through them without any concerns? I have never shot 2 1/2" ammo through any of my doubles, new or vintage. Aslo, I did examine the wood and there are no imperfections anywhere in it. The fit to metal seems very tight and clean as well.

Thanks for your kind reply to my ammo question re: the 2 1/2" ammo.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Capt. Dave
Sounds like your on your way with a good old SxS Smile Mine is a 1894 in 16 ga. with ejectors and 2 9/16" chambers. Don't sweat the 2 1/2" no problem in your gun. Let us know down the line how she patterns with whatever ammo you use. Enjoy that gun Very Happy
Capt. Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 am  Reply with quote

I just found a Remington historical site phone number on the Remington website, and called them up to get some info on this firearm.

I gave them the serial # and all they could tell me is that it was made in New York in 1900. I asked about steel, chamber length, ammo recommendations, and if they could provide any more info on where the gun was shipped to, when it left the factory. They told me they had no other information on the firearm. Frustrating and strange...

She said to take it to a good gunsmith to have it checked out. I asked for a recommendation of a certified Remington gunsmith in Massachusetts to do that and she said they have none in this state. The closest she came was a gunsmith in Michigan! With a little more proding, she said she did have an owners manual for the model 1900 and will mail it to me... You folks here at 16ga.com are way more helpful than this woman I spoke with, at the Remington Historical number listed on the Remington website.

I am going to seal the deal and will pick up some 2 1/2" kent or poly-wad ammo and head for the club to do some shooting. Opening day for pheasant, grouse, woodcock, rabbits, etc., is Saturday and I hope to hunt with the gun opening day.

Thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted on my success in the field with this sweet, little gun made in 1900...
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:39 am  Reply with quote

You may want to check out RST for shells also.
They are low pressure and great loads.
http://www.rstshells.com/shells-best.htm

Capt. Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you Dave M.!
I just ordered a case of 2 1/2" from RST and they are on their way. Thanks for the website. They were very nice folks and very helpful, just like all of you on this site. I told them who sent me and they were delighted.

Good Gunning!
M D Christian
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

The lady at Remington don't get out much. I think Mike Orien is in Amherst..But any decent smith could check te bore and barrel wall thickness..MDC