16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite Hulls: Tips for good crimps
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:54 am  Reply with quote

I've been cooking up some pheasant loads for an upcoming trip. But, I've been fighting the crimp on Cheddite hulls (Win. SuperX). I use a MEC Sizemaster. It does a fine job with RGL's.

Going slowly on the final crimp seems to help, but some are still kind of ugly. Maybe I just need a little more practice with the Cheddites...I've only reloaded 1 box so far.

Any suggestions?
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:31 am  Reply with quote

When I switch between RGL's and Cheddites on my sizemaster, I have to make an adujustment with the cam as described in the owners manual. The manual has a picture of several crimp problems and how to fix them with the adjustment. If you don't have that manual p.m. me with your e-mail address and I will send that part of it to you.

Matt
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:09 am  Reply with quote

I have the manual and will check it out. Thanks for the tip.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:45 am  Reply with quote

They are hard to get adjusted. If you have a factory shell look how deep the crimp is. The Cheditte hull is slighty longer than the RGL. Also it is thinner in the side wall. I have never been able to get a good consistant crimp. I load them once and pitch them. The RGL's are much better. Once I reload all the Chedittes no more, too much work.
sothere
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

H&H wrote

"Going slowly on the final crimp seems to help, but some are still kind of ugly. Maybe I just need a little more practice with the Cheddites...I've only reloaded 1 box so far."

As I read that 3 roosters took off outside the back door,Some might call it cackling,but I believe it sounded more like laughter.
Don't forget to bring a Foreman cooker this year as I'm gonna slay a deer this weekend or next and let it cure at 33 degrees till you guys get here.
See ya in a month there superman Very Happy
P.S. I did'nt get an e-mail,try my PM if you need to get in touch;M
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

LeftyDude, don't pitch those twice fired Cheddite hulls! Save them and I will buy them from you if the price isn't too steep. I'm not picky about my crimps so I get quite a few loadings out of them.

Tim
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:27 am  Reply with quote

sothere wrote:
As I read that 3 roosters took off outside the back door,Some might call it cackling,but I believe it sounded more like laughter.

Well, I'm guessing that box I have reloaded may be enough shells for the whole trip. I don't even need to shoot a bird...as long as my old pointer is strong enough to spend the day with us and my nephew keeps canning them with that little 20...I'll be content. It'll also be the first time in quite a while that I'll get to spend some time with the Captain.

That old birddog and I have been putting a hurt on the grouse. I'm leaving for 3 days of hunting this afternoon and suspect there's going to be 15 less grouse in the northwoods come Sunday.

There's definitely some sort of vortex in the email universe...isn't technology wonderful?!