16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Fall Gobbler this evening.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

[img][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=521524&c=526&z=1"] [/url]

[/img][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=521523&c=526&z=1"] [/url]

This evening and didnt have anything pressing in the shop so I decided to pick up my farm tags on the way home for Archery, Firearms Deer and Firearms Turkey.

As you can see from the photo I found some birds this Gobbler was shot at 20 yards after I crawled up on the bunch the were feeding on the clover in the bottom field , I made a few Jake calls and they made their way toward me over the course of an hour , I crawled the extra 60 feet to get within range ( now on your belly it is hard to judge distance looking over a rise with tall grass , get to with in range then get 10 yards closer ) when I shot I didnt realise that I was so close .

Dean this is the Marlin 90 that you sent back and I fixed up a bit , take note that it does not have a Prince of Whales grip anymore , I sure like the Straight grip with double triggers , still not done with it by a longshot but I did get the wood presentable with a few coats of Poly acryilic this is all this ole gun is going to get on the wood now I will rust blue the thing when I get some time , This is one of the guns going to the Dakotas with me on Friday for the Pheasant opener on the Indian reservation.

And yep it was shot with, You guessed it 2.5" 3/4OZ 7 1/2 shot @ 1400 fps

Regards Charles
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention that I was attempting to give instructions to my 90 year old mother cocerning the camera and I sure do look like a dork , I still have my work pants on just grabbed a BDU top and headed out . but turkey is in the pot none the less .

Regards Charles
birddog
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,
Looks like it worked out just fine. Congrats on a fine bird, and enjoy the rest of the season.
Just busting clays here waiting for something to open.
C,Ya
Charlie
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Be coming thru there on Friday night pack up your gun and go to the Dakota's with us then you wont have to wait so long for someting to open.

Regards Charles
Yentzen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

BRAVO, Well done. I have hunted Turkeys for may years but never in the fall. Long Beard in the fall. BRAVO
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

[img][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=523456&c=526&z=1"] [/url]

[/img][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=523457&c=526&z=1"] [/url]

I was visiting with Larry yesterday and told him that I thought I would go shoot the last bird of the fall , so I went out yesterday evening and found a batch of adult Gobblers could have shot one of those but will save them for the spring season dont want to shoot all the Gobblers out there.

Then I found a flock of Jakes so I passed on those as well , I knew several groups of hens and young ones were around and sure enough caught them in the field feeding just on the other side of the first 2 groups hopped in the creek ditch that run adjacet to the field and made my way down to the bunch of birds ,

Made a few calls and here the group came my way and entered the creek with me I shot the bird at 13 steps with the Marlin 90 16ga that 16'er sent back to the dealer and I purchaced after the fact used the 3/4 OZ of 7 1/2 to dispatch the bird ,

Dean thanks for the gun as you can see I cut the prince of whales grip off and made a straight grip out of the old thing and went ahead and put a bit of finish on the wood while I was at it , one of these days I will get around to bluing the thing .

Regards Charles
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats Charles! Making good use of the Marlin. The 7 1/2s just kill me. Laughing So much for turkey loads.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Highcountry:

You know its real funny how people come to conclusions , This is a question that ole Ben ask Mike Jordan of Winchester fame one time when we were at a shoot .

Mike you being in the lab so much what is the most effective longrange turkey load that you have ever tested ???

Now Mike Jordan and Ben Felton grew up together in ILL. or this question would have never been answered in this manner .

Mike looks all around to see that he is not overheard by anyone else , He quietly says .

THE FINEST LOAD EVER TESTED FOR LONG RANGE IS A BUFFERED 1 OZ OF 7 1/2 SHOT AT 1400FPS FOR TURKEY'S.

Now Mike also said that was not to be repeated because that was not what the Industry sold.

Now that Mike has retired from Winchester with 30+ years I can tell this with out causing a rift with anyone.

This is the very stuff that is not let out but a few people found out anyway and poor ole Ben had a bet with me at the time that it was going to be the slow loads that were the best and all these years I have told him to the contary it was a light load of 7 1/2 shot at High Velocity that done the trick at all ranges .

Now conventional wisdom says otherwise but you know what all the Turkeys , Pheasants and other gamebirds would argue the point with the conventional wisdom theroy folks .

Regards Charles
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Charles: For those of us with old (real old) guns, what pressure are you generating with these high velocity loads?

Matt
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Citorifeather16

The load we are shooting is checked by Tom Armbrust

Cheddite hull 2.5"

18gr Rex-1

Gualandi 1618 or 1621 wad

3/4 OZ of 7.5 shot

Velocity 1410 FPS

pressure at 75 degrees

9200 PSI

I am shooting for a faster load with a pressure in the neighborhood of 10,500 PSI just have yet to send them off to Tom for testing

Regards Charles