16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Of Primers and Broken Firing Pins
rpm
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

I've been reloading 16ga now for a couple of years, not because I'm a high-volume shooter but because I like to control the loads I shoot. Anyhow, after last year's season-ending hunt I was cleaning my Citori when I noticed the lower firing pin was badly chipped and rusting, so I ordered a replacement from Browning and swapped it out. This happened in January.

Today a buddy and I paid for some birds as a preseason warm up to shake off the rust from both ourselves and the dogs. I'd been checking the primer dimples for holes when I removed them the gun and noticed one had been pierced. There looked to be a big chip in the lower pin but I wiped it off and it turned out to be a small piece of metal though it did reveal a smaller chip in the new pin. All eleven other shells seemed fine and I don't know which was fired from the top or bottom although at least seven were singles from the lower barrel. Of course I've read plenty about lower firing pins in Citoris and their proclivity for damage due to the extreme angle.

I've owned said Citori since before I began reloading - at least five years - and I also own a 12ga Citori and Superposed. When not collecting cobwebs, the 12ga guns see only factory loads as the 16ga used to with never a broken or chipped lower firing pin. Are my primers too hard or could it be something else with the gun that is off kilter? I bought 1000 pre-primed shells from Ballistic Products and I've got about 250 remaining.

Needles to say, I'd rather not continue to replace firing pins. Any insight you guys could provide would be appreciated.
Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:27 am  Reply with quote

I've owned about 7 different Citoris over the past 9 years or so, and still have 4 of them. Three of these are primarily sporting clays or skeet guns, and those I reload for, using Winchester 209 primers. I've had no problems with these guns whatsoever.

But the fourth is a 16 ga. Lightning Feather, and I have had problems with the bottom barrel firing. I use this gun mostly as my primary upland gun, and I shoot only factory ammo through it. I shoot mostly Remington Game Loads and Winchesters, with the Winchesters now being my preferred shell. I recently got my gun back from my smith who had replaced the bottom firing pin and two springs. The end of the firing pin had sustained some deterioration.

I have read of many others also having similiar problems with their bottom barrel not firing in their 16 ga Lightning Feathers. I don't know if the problem is the gun or the ammo I am using. But I do find it interesting the gun having problems is the only gun I shoot factory ammo through. Also this gun, being used primarily as an upland game gun, shoots a MUCH MUCH lower volume of shells than my clay guns do !!!

When my smith called Browning, Browning of course denied having any problems with these guns.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:08 am  Reply with quote

I have heard of the same problem with the Lightning model Evil or Very Mad As far as Browning service goes Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 am  Reply with quote

rpm wrote:
I bought 1000 pre-primed shells from Ballistic Products and I've got about 250 remaining.

I'd been checking the primer dimples for holes when I removed them the gun and noticed one had been pierced. There looked to be a big chip in the lower pin but I wiped it off and it turned out to be a small piece of metal though it did reveal a smaller chip in the new pin.

rpm,

If these primed hulls from BP are Cheddite.... (which a lot are) This could in fact be your problem.

Cheddite primers have developed quite a reputation for piercing with certain lots of them and certain guns as well.

The oxygen rich burn of the shell firing is not good news when a small slit in the primer cup directs the flame right onto the firing pin tip.

This may be your problem, rather than a mechanical problem or even the gun's fault for that matter.

Slidehammer
rpm
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Slidehammer - good information; how does one know if they are Cheddite? Here's one of the offenders:

Will any other primers fit the Cheddite hulls?
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

HMMMMMM! Stars on the base make me think it's definately a cheddite. Others, more experienced, can confirm.

Matt
longwalker
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Most Cheddite hulls have the "star" on the headstamp. Some Cheddite hulls to not, ( Canadian IVI Imperial hulls, and new Australian Winchesters) but I have not come across a "star" stamped hull that was not Cheddite.

Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:43 am  Reply with quote

rpm,

I concur with the comments of both CitoriFeather16 and longwalker.

Your picture is a Cheddite 16 to my eye and the primer appears so as well.

Look inside one of your new still primed 16 hulls at the face of the primer. Cheddite usually lacquer seals across the whole primer face with a red clear lacquer.... This may be further proof..

The primers are a standard 209 size.... BUT, sometimes the European made ones that run a little large. If American makes of primers seem a little loose in these hulls, then try the Fiocchi 616 primers... They should seat tight.

I gave away the last of my Cheddite primers as several of my vintage guns with their hard hitting firing pin strikes were almost piercing every Cheddite primer they hit.

Hope this helps...

Slidehammer