16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  I'm a newcomer! (To this site)
Floating Chamber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Hi, this is 'Floating chamber from the UK. I'm 60 years old and have been reloading since 1962. (I load 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410)

Married with son who recently took part in the British Open Skeet Championship at Bisley. (He's after some 16g Briley tubes!)

My main interest, other than reloading, is the Life, times and patents of David Marshall 'Carbine' Williams. (I own a Model 50 and a Model 59 Winchester.)

I am a 'major' reloader of shotshells and recently took delivery of 9,000 primed 16 gauge Cheddite hulls in 65, 67 and 70mm length.

My favourite load is CX2000 primer, 18.5 grains Vectan A1, B&P wad and 401 grains of my homemade shot.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

Carbine Williams talking about the Model 50 Winchester, 1962.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

FC,
Welcome to this menagerie of maniacs! Wink

You should fit in just fine, though the powder and primer in your load is Greek to me.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Good to have you on board. It will be nice to get your views on shooting and 16 gauge related subjects.

Marsh "Carbine" Williams was quite a personality. I remember seeing the movie with James Stewart many years ago. I need to see if I can find a copy on CD and watch it again.

Sounds like you have all of the bases covered as far as reloading goes. In your post you mention that you make your own shot. Do you use a Little-ton shot maker? How is the price of lead in Europe these days, We are paying close to $2.00 a pound these days?
Floating Chamber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hi! TB,

Carbine Williams was never released on video or DVD and was shown only once in the UK. That was 1967. It changed my life!
I obtained a 'pirate' copy, 38 years later - TCM show it regularly over on your side of the pond. You can see the flaws in the story!*
Over the years and good ole telephone, I have got to know his family, including his brother, now over 90 years old. His daughter-in-law, agrees that the film is 'mostly Hollywood'.

To get a better insight into his fascinating life, get a copy of his biography, 'Carbine' by ROSS. E. BEARD, Jr. ( a man I can call my friend.)

The third reprint is out in paperback.

There is a DVD available called 'In the Sights of a Weapons Genius - Carbine Williams', by K. Martin Hill and the late Harry Joiner. It is fascinating. It's worth getting a copy.
You see and hear the great man describing and demonstrating his inventions.

We must never forget what he did.

You'll find it on Google!

Lead is the same over here. Where I live ( and elsewhere) it is being stripped from churches and houses by thieves and sold on to unscrupulous metal merchants - then it goes to China I believe.
My son's shells have increased in price by over $60/1000 in two months. (We cannot use reloads over here in registered shoots.)
Mid Wales Shooting Ground has begun 'digging up' shot and selling it back to shooters. I bought 110 lb last week at $0,50 a lb. I spray it with auto-primer then graphite it. The paint coats and protects it and gives an increase in volume. I get a 28 gram bush throwing 24 gram. That suits me fine!
For more on me, go into 'Pigeonwatch.co.uk' Bullets and reloading - reloading - homemade shot.
Regards,
FC

Carbine Williams talking about the Model 50 Winchester, 1962.
NCTOM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:44 pm  Reply with quote

Great website here! I was looking for some good reload info for my Fox double and ran across people talking about my family!
It is very nice to see that my Great Uncle has respect from shooters so far away! I noticed someone mentioned Ross Beard the author on here as well. He is a super nice gentleman and has the most amazing collection that Marsh gave him over the years. We eat lunch together and the day always ends much too soon! If you like this subject, Google SC National Guard Armory Musem. Ross has set up a huge collection of prototypes and one offs that Marsh signed and gave him. There is a video clip too.
Just in case you are tempted, Please dont support the sale of the video that is available on Carbine. According to Ross all of the footage was stolen from him by the "scalleywags" who are selling it. They were the sound and camera guys. It is called "Carbine Williams. Through the eyes of a weapons genius" Ross has much more footage being put together and it will be available "soon". (I hope)
NCTOM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to say...
'In the Sights of a Weapons Genius - Carbine Williams', by K. Martin Hill Harry Joiner.

Not to take away from my Uncles acomplishments, I just dont want to support the profit of thiefs. I had bought it before I knew myself. The footage is awesome. The stuff Ross still has is even better!