16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A very unlikely gun dog...
MGF
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:54 am  Reply with quote

I find mini, noisy poodles hard to tolerate, but the standards I've been around have been great dogs. You two gentlemen who posted pics have some fine looking dogs. I'd say train Sasha up, love her up and keep having fun!
mrosspa
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

Now that is a familiar dog! I've a black standard I run. There is a hunting poodle group that is a great resource, but they have moved from geocities.

They Hunting Poodle group is part of Yahoo Groups.

I could talk forever about hunting with poodles, more importantly, congratulations on a successful hunt.

Keep me posted on Sasha's success.

gmbeebe
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

I was given a large standard Poodle, about 10 wks old in the early 70s. I realy wasn't thinking of him as a bird dog, but on fly fishing trips in the Eastern Sierras (I lived in LA at the time) he exhibited definite hunting instincts. I used Richard Wolters book on Gun Dogs and "Chumbley" became a hunting fool. We hunted Chucker, Pheasent, Valley quail and he was a monster on geese & ducks. Chumbley was a clown but unless there was a horse to chase he was a pleasure in the field and won the grudging admiration of my hunting buddies. If there was a horse in the vicinity he was a menace!

In the middle 70's my company transferred me to Rochester NY in January and in the middle of the worst winter in several decades. The airlines decided at the last minute that they couldn't ship Chumbley because of the weather so they put him in a kennel. They kept him in that kennel for almost 4 months, in spite of our protests.

When they finally shipped him to us he was a wreck. An entirely different dog. Totally undisciplined and un contrilable. We lived next to a thoroughbred farm and on two occaisions he got loose and chased the horses at breakneck speed around the pastures. On the third occaison, he slipped past a baby sitter and headed for the pasture,. The breeder shot him and I couldn't blame him. There wasn't a horse worth less than $30,000
on the farm.

Chumbly was a great dog and i miss him today, the old Chumbly not the nightmare we got from American Airlines!
mrosspa
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:11 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your dog.

It's interesting about being put up in a kennel. The hunting poodle group I belong to has a few members that feel separation from their owners is a problem for the dog. These people feel the poodle does well as a family dog, not living in a kennel. If sent to be trained by a pro for many months, it was also felt sending the dog back to the owner helps with progression. Some feel that the dog doesn't do well unless it gets to go home with their owner for 1-2 weeks every 2 months.

I don't know how true that is, and it may not be all the reason your dog had trouble. It was the first thing I thought of when I read about your dog.

HIGH$TRAP
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

mrosspa,
I have no problem believing that seperateing a Poodle from his pack will cause problems. They are very intelligent, and attached to their owners. Their desire to please is one reason I believe they are so easy to train. Our two will watch out the window for hours until we return.

Here's our boy Riley this weekend in upstate PA not 10 minutes out of the truck. The looks we got from a passing truck load of hunters was hilarious, they about twisted their necks off to get a second look!

Have a great day afield! R Rambler