16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  thoughts on keeping our dogs running
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

I just wanted to share some ideas I've put together to help keep our dogs running strong. I'd sure like comments.

First I have to admit that what I'm suggesing won't seem "macho" as we work with our dogs, but, I'm a "bottom line" kinda guy. I want my dog to be ready to work hard - all the time. Here goes... Idea

In thinking back about a buddy who's fine Brittney jumped out of his truck after a hard wild pheasant hunt in Montana; and, watching in dismay at my pudelpointer jump (and not make it!) into the bed of my truck after hunting all day. I put two and two together. My dog was OK. My buddys Brittney wasn't so lucky. His front elbow and/or shoulder soft tissue was damaged. after 2 expensive and failed surgeries he had to have his front leg removed. Let me tell you. That dogs' energy, skills and desire are the same, but, a three legged dog ain't half the dog he used to be. Sad

I don't want this happening to my dog. Heck, I was talking today to a gentleman back east who hunted his GSP - and after over an hour in the truck riding home his dog jumped out and sprained his lower leg.

So now, clean, wet, dirty or whatever I lift my dog in and out of his crate. The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Here's why. In the off season (hunting off-season that is Sad ) I am a competitive age group triathlete. I know that after a race or hard workout I'm not springy - actually quite stiff; until I warm up (if ever I'm springy Laughing ). Our dogs work like crazy, they get sore. The way I see it, it isn't worth it to risk the next hunt on my ego watching my dog follow my command up or down. If my dogs gonna get injured I want it to be while actually hunting.

Any comments Question

Wishing the best of the season to all Smile

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

I always made it a habit of carrying my dogs after I leash and e-collar from their travel crate. This applies to my former 75 lbs. labs to my current 35 lbs French Brits. Dogs are not like cats and do not know how to absorb the drop from the back of my pickup. Given the cost of join surgery and the possible loss of a good dog, it just common sense to gather the dog and place them on the ground. Since I hunt two dogs, I alway teather the calmer one first to my hitch and then get my crazier one out of his crate. I'm able to use one arm to hold on the leash while I grab my gun (laying on top of their crate), close the tailgate and rear window, and then grabbing the leash on my other dog. I walk several hundred yards away from the highway/road before I unleash my dogs. They're trained to whoa until released but I don't like to do it anywhere close to the road. I've seen too many close calls with oncoming cars that I want the distance before my dogs are off their leash. BTW, their e-collars have been activitated just in case they bolt back towards the road, I can stop them in a flash. Hunting with pointing dogs makes a few concessions to their behavior than compared to a lab.
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

I'm glad someone else has thought this through. Clearly much more than I have. Smile

Seems I've seen too many who seem to really enjoy watching their dogs go into or out of their kennels (crates) on command. Actually, it is impressive to watch a dog doing any command - I guess, even a command that MAY harm them. But, I won't do it.

Equismith
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:13 am  Reply with quote

Good post. Well thought out.

I'm glad you posted this. I have just gotten a Brittany pup and am just on the poorer side of crazy to try to train her myself. Viewing a few DVDs and reading a few books I see where up and down are common place among hunting dogs.

I'll attest this to an experience I had.

Running a 24hour fund raising event back many years ago I ran solid for my portion of the event. After running my part I fell asleep in my truck and was awakened hurriedly to run my final hour. It didn't work out quite the way I wanted. I had settled down and gotten stiff while sleeping. My muscles locked up like padlocks and didn't work at all. I ran anyway. It took me several days to recover. Not from the running, but from the sudden burst after allowing my muscles to stiffen and not stretching again.

I would think the dog's muscles would do the same. Riding a long truck ride after the hunt and then having to jump down from a 3' high truck bed probably ain't good on the stiff muscles. Or the stiffened joints/ligaments.

Bud

Last edited by Equismith on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Miss Libby
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:21 am  Reply with quote

My dogs are trained to use an access ramp on the tail gate. Back here I can't have a dog jumping off onto icy ground. Lot of people don't use common sense and its costs them a dog. Next best thing I might add is don't over feed hunting dogs. Just like people fat dogs wear out joints and are unable to move well. One of my dogs is a 13 yr. old Lab who will be 14 in Jan. He has used that ramp and not ate like a pig and I hope the oldtimer lasts another 14 yrs Exclamation Very Happy
sothere
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

I'm guilty.It's true I did and still do get enjoyment out of watching dogs enter and exit pick-ups on command and our family trains them to do it only with the tail gate down.If it's up then you don't get in or out with out a whuppin'.And telling the dog to get in the pick up thats a 1/4 mile away is impressive.
BUT!! I wholly agree with all that has been written here with Re. to the health and welfare of the dogs and will refrain from such behavior in the future to a certain degree.My labs are 14yrs. and a new 4 month old.Both of them need help and I don't mind.Dad's Springers will continue to fly in and out of the P/U and ride on the back of the 4 wheeler while going down the road at 60 in the same P/U.We've not had one go lame in 30 years but I think I'll keep the flying reserved for the end of the dock to the best of my ability herewith.