16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Sales of 16 Gauge Shells
gold40
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Other recent threads have addressed the relative popularity of the 16 gauge (or lack therof). Clearly there is at least some current resurgence. That kind of raises a related question:

Are more factory 16 gauge shotshells sold today than in the past? Or was the peak sales year back in the 1940's or 1950's?

Perhaps we have a board member that works in the shotshell industry that could provide a quantitative answer.

JERRY
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Jerry, I'm no expert. My guess is that thanks to Web sites like this one, there may be a small uptick in total 16-gauge sales rather than a continued incremental decline. Just judging by commercial shell availability in my area, things have gotten worse, not better here in spite of guns like the Remington Express and the BPS. I'd love to hear otherwise!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:11 am  Reply with quote

There is certantly a wider selection of shot sizes and types of shot now but many places overlook the 16 and keep a limited inventory or none at all Evil or Very Mad
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:09 am  Reply with quote

I think those who are enthusiastic about the 16 misjudge the popularity of the gage. I can walk into my local Wal Mart or LGS and buy 28 gage and 410 bore shells. I can't always find 16s.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I think those who are enthusiastic about the 16 misjudge the popularity of the gage. I can walk into my local Wal Mart or LGS and buy 28 gage and 410 bore shells. I can't always find 16s.

Pudelpointer you are correct. The problem with ammunition availability lies totally with the wholesalers and retailers and their stocking policies. There are certainly many many more 16 gauge gun languishing in the back of closets than 28 gauge guns. Dicks can't keep 16 gauge ammo in stock, Cabella's can't keep 16 gauge ammo in stock, Bass Pro Shop can't keep 16 gauge ammo on stock. You would think that they might be abel to figure out if you ain't got it you can't sell it. People bitch about the way the government runs but private industry ain't too whoopy either. In the military we procured items based on use not on outdated misconceptions.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 am  Reply with quote

One of the great things about the Internet is you can get a group of people that are interested in a particular topic and talk it to death... The Internet has also affected the way that I purchase things. In the past, I would be dependent upon a few people on their view of a interested product that I wanted to purchase. Now I can go online and get reviews and product reliability. I also use the Internet to check product avability and pricing. In the last few years, I've purchased most of my ammo online. Granted I have to pay a shipping cost but given the $3.00+ @ gallon cost of gas in Calif., it's a push. I have a few vendors that provide the ammo that I want at a reasonable price and I give them my business. If someone doesn't want to carry something that I want, I give my business and money to someone that can meet my needs.

My $.02 for today....
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

In my opinion, the problem with 16 gauge ammo distribution and with the popularity of the gauge as well is the mindset of certain big gun and ammo companies and their marketing strategies. They want the gauge to die and have for decades now. That they haven't been able to kill it off is a testimony to its utility. Now that the gauge is making a comeback, especially in the upland arena, the big ammo manufacturers are conflicted. They want the sales, but still don't want the gauge. In short, they are acting like idiots--which in truth, some of them probably are. Laughing

The big box stores like Walmart buy what the big ammo companies push and buy it at the lowest price they can demand. There is a certain incestousness to the whole arrangement. These two entities view the buying public as a great mass of uninformed folks willing to buy whatever is the least expensive item of reasonable quality.

They also believe they can actually control the market with their strategies. In a lot of cases, they can too. For example, I always buy my socks and underwear from the big box stores. They always seem to have the best prices and a decent stock of these things. I just go there and buy what I need, whenever I need more. I don't usually think about it. the convenience is just too good and the prices are always near the bottom. What's to think about? I guess you could callme a moron in this case, but it works for me.

However, people who knowingly choose the 16 as the best upland gun do not fit into the view or the marketing plans of Walmart or the big ammo companies. We know too much and use that knowledge and intelligence to find alternatives to fill our needs, often at much lower cost than these business folks would accept.

So don't get all bent when you walk into the average Wally World big box store and can't find loads for your favorite gauge. Complaining to them won't work either. They aren't listening, and they would not get it if they did. Use your time and intelligence to your own advantage. Like Terry said, find another source and use it to find 16 gauge ammo, or reload like many of us do.

Buy your socks and underwear at Wally World. They usually have the best prices. Forget the ammo. And don't get your undies in a bunch--unless you can buy them on sale that way. Wink
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:44 am  Reply with quote

I can't see any difference in what is on the shelf today as compared to 10 years ago. I think some 16 ga guns are being sold but I don't think it translates to shells on the shelf. Most places sell 12 and 20 ga but not 16 gauges. Dicks sporting goods has a sale on Stoeger Condors, 12 and 20 of course. Not a 16 in the store. I went to Wall-Mart yesterday to buy shells. I like to shoot Federals and Wally World is one of the few places in our area that handles Federal. Lots of 12 and 20's. They had one box of 16 ga 1 1/8 oz #6. I asked why they didn't carry more and the kid said he just doesn't sell many. I told him I could understand why if he only carries one size of shot in a high velocity load. I told him if he would carry 1 oz of 8's, he would at least sell me a few cases a year. He simply didn't understand. They all think the 16 is obsolete. Maybe thats the way they want it.
powderburn
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:59 am  Reply with quote

My observations on 16 ga shells:
Like most of you I have run into the same shell buying issues. Recently at a sportmens warehouse the guy told me it's dove season and we have sold tons of 12s& 20s but little of our 16's. He had about 1/2 pallet of high base #6's in 16's. I pointed out that he didn't exactly have a good dove load and he looked at me like I was crazy.
I too suspect that today more 16's are sold than in years past and it would be interesting to see the totals compared to the 28 and 410 though these two may be bouyed by skeet shooting. I am sort of surprised that the ammo makers do seem to ignore the 16 like they do stating that demands is not high enough yet I see full page ads claiming that they have introduced 3 new loads fo the 416 rigby or some other such cartridge.
Finally I am always a bit amazed by the 16 ga shooters themselves. Basically I feel that our needs are met quite well by 1 oz loads of 6, 7&1/2 and 8 shot for the uplands and maybe high base 6's in 1&1/8 for phesant crows and maybe the occasional turkey, and the slug for the 1 gun deer hunter. Yet to listen to the debates on a board like this we whine incessantly about the difference between 1200 fps and 1250 fps and 1 oz vs 34/36 oz of shot etc. etc. My old boss had a good saying when someone would get all fired up a start bit------ abourt something hae would patiently listen and then when they would leave he would comment " They wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a brand new rope".

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:41 am  Reply with quote

Scolari wrote:
They had one box of 16 ga 1 1/8 oz #6. I asked why they didn't carry more and the kid said he just doesn't sell many. I told him I could understand why if he only carries one size of shot in a high velocity load. I told him if he would carry 1 oz of 8's, he would at least sell me a few cases a year. He simply didn't understand. They all think the 16 is obsolete. Maybe thats the way they want it.

I worked in retail before moving to manufacturing and I was always amazed at how customers think they know what sells, or doesn't. Items are discontinued for many reasons, but poor sales is probably number 1.

Yet, whenever a customer would ask (and I knew the anwer) why something was discontinued and I would say it was due to slow sales I would have to listen to the person explain to me for five minutes why that was the most popular product in the world.

And notice the complaints here are about Dick's and Wal Mart. Your chances of getting someone to carry 16's would, I speculate, go way up if you bought from your LGS on a regular basis. But, if you only talk the talk, and don't show up to buy 16s don't be surprised if your LGS refuses to carry them.

This past Sat I was window shopping in the LGS and saw two full flats of Rem Game Loads in the left over dove ammo pile. I didn't ask but I would wager those were the only two flats purchased and they are still there. I will ask this Sat if I can remember.