16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Camo guns.....advantage or not?
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Not a 16 gauge, but I recently won a NWTF dinner gun, 12 gauge Benelli Nova pump in full camo finish. It raised a question, never having owned a camo finish gun. Is there a real benefit to having your gun camouflaged, other than if you are in a ghilly suit taking out a foreign power? Seems it might be an advantage for waterfowl, but worth the extra bucks?

I'm curious because I have also been looking at a new muzzle-loader, available in a variety of finishes.
Rooster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

I believe there may be times when a camoed up gun might be an advantage, turkey hunting comes to mind first, however I think the whole idea is more a marketing ploy than anything else.

Read most of the hunting/gun mags, look at the catalogs, and if it is in the woods it should be camo. Underwear? flashlights? knives? The list goes on. Mostly marketing as I stated, IMHO.

All that said, my go-to bad weather duckgun is a full camo Beretta 390. I bought it used, not for the camo, but because it fit me well, is easy to clean and maintain, and takes a lot of muddy abuse well. The Nova should do the same for you if it fits.

Rooster
henrybelton
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:35 am  Reply with quote

Looking at a Cabela's catalog, it's hard to believe that anyone ever shot a deer before 1990 (that is, before mossy wetlands timber advantage oak extreme, blah, blah, blah).

Our fathers and grandfathers seemed to do ok afield without such attire (and camo guns).

I'm waiting for this fashion fad to go the way of the liesure suit and platform shoes.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:55 am  Reply with quote

I once saw a poster on Shotgunworld preach you HAD to have a camo gun for turkey hunting. I guess that all those turkeys killed in the past with blued steel and walnut model 12's and m37's and 870's etc must have wanted to commit suicide and used that hunter to do it.

The black Benelli Nova will account for as many turkeys and ducks as the camo model and will be cheaper to boot.
budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:37 am  Reply with quote

WE shot deer, ducks and geese before camo was around. I do use camo clothing for waterfowl, turkey and doves and do believe that there is an advantage. None of the guns I use has camo and I seem to shoot waterfowl, turkey and doves quite well. Oh yes, I use it for squirrels now.
There is nothng like a shotgun with good bluing and attractive wood to hunt with and admire when things get slow. Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
BTW 95% of what is out there is designed not to help you hunt more effectively but is designed to relieve you of the contents of your wallet!-Dick
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Seems like everyone here is on the same page as me. I've always admired traditional guns with nice wood and finish. This Benelli I won in the drawing is completely covered with camo, even the barrel. You would probably have some searching to do if you set it down in the woods!
smashdn
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:22 am  Reply with quote

some times it is better to have the camo on the gun as it puts a finsih on the metal that makes it darn near impervious to rust. That then will raise the question; why not just a solid black gun then? the difference is the metal. I have found that the parkerized or matte black finish on solid black guns rusts about the same time that it comes in contact with air. My reasoning for having a camo gun is not so much the camo finish but just the finish in general. My stoeger 2000 does not have surface rust on it even though i take it out in the rain and then just put it back in its case. if i do this to a blued gun it would get rust spots.
laxcoach
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I'm of the old school (and a tightwad to boot) when it comes to admiring the fit and finish of my guns during slow times in the field. But, having said that, all my waterfowl and turkey guns are camo--- the tape kind that came in rolls one found in sporting goods stores. Have you ever been in a deep water blind and seen the guys next to you 500 yards away swinging on real or imaginary birds? Looks like the U S Army Signal Corps ! I have a Beretta AL-2 mag that has had probably 6 applications of camo tape over the years-- when the tape gets slick and dull I peel it off and put on a new application and, guess what--- no rust under the tape !!!!
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:44 pm  Reply with quote

All I know for sure is don't buy a camo pocket knife. They can be a real beech to find if you drop 'em.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:26 am  Reply with quote

I don't own a camo gun, only own 1 matte black shotgun and I seem to do just fine on deer and birds. In fact my matte black 11-87 has accounted for more deer than some peope will take in a lifetime. Very Happy

mes228
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Camo anything is ridiculous, in my personal opinion. I have hunted all my life with a relative amount of success for the area I live in (Virginia) without any. I don't buy a piece of the stuff, with the exception of a backpack that I like in other respects. I also received a Browning Duck Commander coat in camo as a gift that is very warm and well made. I wish it was just a solid color. I think actual test show that gray is superior to any color in being invisible to animals.
Camo is a fad and a sales gimmick. Our forefathers hunted in knickers, white shirts and ties. Just my opinion.
MGF
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:54 pm  Reply with quote

IMO, the best thing about camo clothing: No one knows when you've spilled your coffee on it.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:23 am  Reply with quote

No camo guns here. Camo clothes for goose,duck,turkey and bowhunting. Everything else is just Carhartt overalls Smile
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Just don't set that camoed gun down and walk off to go take a wizz. You might never find it again! That's one reason my hunting knife is blaze orange...I can pick it up again after I put it down on the ground or leaves.

crowkiller
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:13 am  Reply with quote

Camo sure helps when crow hunting.I refuse to take anybody crow hunting that is not camo from head to toe.Including face mask and camo gloves.