16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington black hull loading problem
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:23 am  Reply with quote

As a second barrel choice behind a flushing dog I am looking for a 1 1/8 oz. 16 ga. load and recently acquired a good supply of Remington Game Load 16 Gauge shotshells. The hulls are black and were originally loaded with 1 ounce of shot.
The 2004 Alliance Powder catalogue gives a 1 1/8 oz. load for Rem.- Peters SP plastic shells with plastic base wad specifying 27 gr. Blue Dot Powder, Rem. 209P primer and a Rem. SP16 wad. The Rem hulls with the above load would not crimp because there was not enough room. Both shot and powder were weighed and I tried pressure to the wad with no success. Any help would be appreciated.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz I don't know what your problem could be I have used a load very similar to the one listed but it used the WAA16 hull and it crimped just fine with about 30 pounds of wad pressure. I sorry but I don't have any Blue Dot on hand so I can't replicate your load. Is there any chance that you got a R16 wad mixed in with your SP16 wads?
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz,

I had the same results with the Blue Dot 1 1/8 oz load, it didn't fit. I have loaded 1 1/8 oz loads using HS6 and Win 571 (HS7) and have had good results. HS6 and HS7 are denser powders and fit fine. HS7 has been discontinued but there is still a lot of it sitting on dealer's shelves. You need to find a load with a Win209 primer that has about 10,00 psi to ensure consistant cold weather performance. As stated, Longshot should work great too, if you can stand the higher noise level. There's a reason it has earned the nickname "Loudshot" Shocked .

Mike C,

Remington uses this same hull but with green plastic tubes in their Express and Pheasant loads with an 1 1/8oz of shot. I have no idea what powder they use.

TB,

Did you load your 1 1/8oz loads in the Win CF hull with Blue Dot? I tried it and had the same results as the Rem GL hulls, couldn't close the crimp no matter how much wad pressure I used. This was with the SP16 wad.

Dennis
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Yes Dennis I used 27 grains of Blue Dot, Remington SP16 wad and 1 1/8th ounce of shot.

Just for grins last night I tried a little experiment using a .403 powder bushing ( this is the same powder busing that throws 29 grains of blue Dot by volume) only I substituted Unique for the powder. These should have the exact same volume as the 29 grains of Blue Dot, SP 16 Wad and 1 1/8th ounce of 7 1/2s in a Remington SP hull and everything fit giving a really nice crimp. Go figure. By the way I immediately cut apart the shell with the Unique load.
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

I called Alliant Powder this morning and talked with a tech. rep. who could not answer my questions about the above load. He told me that there will be no new loads for 16 ga. in their 2007 manual. He also said that the 16 ga is for traditionalists and that manufactures will not be making new new guns in 16 ga. and ammo selection may even get worse. Might be a good idea to buy a lifetime supply of your favorite hulls and components. I will use the black hulls for a 1 oz load and try some Federals for a 1 1/8 oz load. Thank you one and all for responding.
SIXSKB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Chiming in late here, the Wichester promo hulls also load fine with a 1-1/8 oz load of #5. Just won't fit in the black Remington.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:45 am  Reply with quote

I've never tried loading a 1-1/8 ounce load in a Remington GL16 hull with Blue Dot. Remington uses denser and faster powders as well as less volume of them for a 1-1/8 ounce load in their hulls. The SP-16 wad works very well in a GL16 hull for a 1-1/8 ounce load using Unique, Herco, and 800X very well for me.

I'd save the Blue Dot for very high velocity 1-1/8 ounce and standard velocity 1-1/4 ounce loads using a Federal or Cheddite type hull. It's too slow for a standard velocity 1-1/8 ounce load.

I suggest you try 800X for fairly fast 1-1/8 ounce loads. Its really good stuff. But weigh all your charges, because it does not meter well out of a standard volumetric measure. I use an RCBS powder measure set to throw a bit light. I correct the charge with a balance and a powder trickler. This way, I can throw and correct the powder charges to a uniform weight very quickly. It works very well for a box or two, which for me is at least a season's worth of hunting loads. I also use the same trick to load any maximum velocity or magnum loads. It's a good way to ensure both safe high performance hunting loads and uniform results to boot. Works for me.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

You might want to try some brass 16 gauge shells, they will last a life time. Wink
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:34 am  Reply with quote

[quote="jschultz"]As a second barrel choice behind a flushing dog I am looking for a 1 1/8 oz. 16 ga. load and recently acquired a good supply of Remington Game Load 16 Gauge shotshells. The hulls are black and were originally loaded with 1 ounce of shot.
The 2004 Alliance Powder catalogue gives a 1 1/8 oz. load for Rem.- Peters SP plastic shells with plastic base wad specifying 27 gr. Blue Dot Powder, Rem. 209P primer and a Rem. SP16 wad. The Rem hulls with the above load would not crimp because there was not enough room. Both shot and powder were weighed and I tried pressure to the wad with no success. Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

page 218 in the 4th edition Lyman Shotshell Reloading book has 5-1 1/8oz recipes for the Rem. hull using SP16 wads. Including 1 w/4756 powder moving out at 1231fps. That wouldn't be a bad follow up shot. Before finding the advantages of shooting 16ga I was all in on 20ga for upland and found 4756 to be the most elastic, dense (left alot of room for other stuff in there), acurate metering and clean burning powder. Luckily 4756 works great in the 16ga also. Page 75 in the 4th edition BP High performance Loads For Clays has 2- 1.125oz loads for the Rem. hull but uses the SG16 wad that is designed for closer (20-45yrd) work, although they may work with the correct choke for your follow up's. Hope this helps.
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Putz463,
Thanks will look into the data.

Lefty Dude,
I just returned from a week pheasant hunt in SD or I would have responded earlier. Your suggestion to try brass hulls is something that I would like to do, but I'm unsure as to how to close the hulls. Roll crimp? Special tooling? Please advise.
Jim
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:07 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
Putz463,
Thanks will look into the data.

Lefty Dude,
I just returned from a week pheasant hunt in SD or I would have responded earlier. Your suggestion to try brass hulls is something that I would like to do, but I'm unsure as to how to close the hulls. Roll crimp? Special tooling? Please advise.
Jim

Jim, with brass hulls, all you do is glue an overshot card in the hull.
You can use Duco or a hot glue gun. The overshot card can be most anywhere in the hull. It doesn't have to be right at the top. If you have a 1/2" of brass sticking above the card, no problem. Just glue it in and shoot.
Personally, I find them to be a pain in the rear to load. Wink

Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:42 am  Reply with quote

The brass shells are more time consuming than loading on a press. I load them by hand. BP makes the tools, I made mine. You can use a MEC or reloader for some of the steps, such as powder & wad install. I just do it all by hand.

http://www.circlefly.com has the wads, over powder card & over shot cards.
http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com make the brass shells with the same internal dimension as plastic shells, plastic wads work in these. I have the hammer Double shells.

I use fiber wads under the shot column to adjust the height of the internals. I adjust to with in 1/8" of the top lip of the case. The overshot card is installed and I fill the remaining with Elmers glue. The glue is filled and domes up at the top. When the glue dries it shrinks back down in the case and is level or slightly concave. The glue dies clear and you can write on the over shot card to ID the load.

If you need or want specific custom loads this is the way to go.
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Lefty Dude,
Thanks for the information. I’m going to load some brass hunting loads. As luck would have it, I just returned from Cody, the home of Rocky Mountain. No big deal because I’m just an hour away. I would have never thought that common glue would be the medium to hold everything together. Would any published low to medium pressure recipes for plastic or paper hulls using one piece wads or fiber wads in brass be okay for a modern 16 ga.? I’m not sure how much additional pressure would be developed by adding fiber wads to an existing recipe, that is one that did not call for fiber wad spacers.
Jim
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

I use Unique and a 1 oz load of shot, sorry thats as far as I can go on a receipe.

Usually a modern low pressure receipe will work.

What works for me may not for you. Wink

Call Craig at Circle Fly he may give you some ideas.

I did alot of research before I started brass reloading.

And was luck enough a friend of mine gave me a grocery bag full of Alcan wad & cards for brass 16 gauge in there original boxes. Then I was at a local Gun Show and found another bag of 16 gauge Alcan wads for $5.00.

I have a life time supply of Wads & Cards for 16's.