16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  M1 Garand
saw557
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

I know it's a bit off subject but this board seems to be user friendly and has a wide taste of guns. I was wondering if anyone here as any expierence or opinions on the M1 Garand.......I was thinking about getting one just because. In particular does anyone know anything about the "Civilian Marksmanship Program" they sell surplus M1's. I am not looking for a safe queen just a honest shooter and a piece of American history
Thanks
Scott
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

If you're into milsurps, the Garand is the pinnacle, IMHO. Fun to shoot, and the distinctive "ching" as the clip ejects is way cool.

BUT, they're not easy to maintain. Do some research--get one of Scott Duff's books (or one by one of the other gurus) and study it.

Yes, CMP is good, but I'm not sure what their supply of M1s is like these days. Many other places to find them. From just plain old shooters, to National Match grade. CMP has good ammo, too. Just follow their instructions to the letter.

Much, much info, advice, instructions, etc over at http://surplusrifle.com/

Have fun.
16crazy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

The CMP is a great organization and I have been very happy in dealing with them. Here is the website: http://www.odcmp.com/

The grades of the rifles have changed since I have last made a purchase but IMHO the Service grade would be your best choice as a shooter. Also do not be intimidated by the 60-90 day wait. The price of $595 is well below the going rate for M1’s at gun shows.

I disagree slightly with 662 in that I feel the M1 is easy to maintain. Just feed it the correct ammo and lubricate it. Scott Duff does have an excellent book on the M1 explaining the care and feeding of the M1 called The M1 Garand :Owners Guide.

This is his website http://www.scott-duff.com/

I think the CMP is your best choice for an initial purchase. You will get a good functional rifle at the lowest possible price. Unless you are well armed with knowledge it is too easy to get ambushed at gun shows by the kind of people that peddle junk M1’s with a new stock set. I would not buy an M1 at a gun show without a throat erosion gauge and several other inspection tools. The CMP already does this for you.

Also by their very nature the supply of M1’s is finite. The CMP will not run out of them today or tomorrow but they will in the near future. SO an M1 is not the kind of purchase I would labor over.

Oh and by the way I started out wanting just one shooter M1 also!
saw557
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Well I knew I would get some helpful replies here thanks for the info and keep it coming
Thaks
Scott
jrothWA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Buy it!

I shoot the Service rifle matches with my M1. No problem, you just need to know how to make repairs.
Attend a match and ask / listen we love to help.
wingshooter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
just a honest shooter and a piece of American history

Can't go wrong with the Garand with those parameters. While I don't have as many "guns" as a lot who post here, of all I have (dare I say even the 16?), it is my fave to shoot. The correct ammo comment is important: it was not made to digest current off the shelf 30-06 ammo. Also, don't spare the grease. My baby:

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
pbeaver
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:23 am  Reply with quote

There are a few hoops you have to jump through. If you don't already belong to an affiliated club, I suggest joining one that supports your rights and lobbies for you. Here in Indiana, that is the State Rifle and Pistol association. Nothing against the Garand Collectors assoc. There are plenty of choices now for the marksmanship part, so it usually isn't a problem. There is only one concern...If you use it to shoot a high power match, you may become addicted, and your wallet will shrink.
16crazy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

There is only one concern...If you use it to shoot a high power match, you may become addicted, and your wallet will shrink.

ONLT TOO TRUE Very Happy
saw557
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I've gone to the surplus rifle site and the CMP site and read about 15 pages on the Garand fourms and it looks to me like there alot of junk Garands out there. If a person were to get one from CMP would you be avoiding the pitfalls I've read about like excessive ME and TE or a welded reciever. What I would like is a service grade rifle that has matching or close to matching wood and looks decent. Is this too much to expect?
Thanks
Scott
16crazy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Buying via the CMP will avoid all the problems of rewelds, excessive muzzle and throat wear, out of headspace. bent op rods etc. The CMP inspects and grades their guns.

However wood is wood and dont expect the stock to be anything other then functional. The Army was never concerned with matching wood so the stock set could be a mix of different wood. The stock WILL NOT look like wingshoooters picture.

Below is the CMP explanation of a Service Grade:

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)

Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color or type of wood; bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.
wingshooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
The stock WILL NOT look like wingshoooters picture.

I hate boring wood, so I restocked it in a nice piece of juglans nigra.

Saved the original though.

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers