16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ruffed Grouse hunting Tips
steve mealman
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:48 am  Reply with quote

Guy's
I don't want anybody to give away their best-kept secrets, but I was wondering if I could get some late season grouse hunting tips from you guys.

I used to hunt grouse a lot in Bemidji Minnesota where I went to college, but all I did was walk-logging roads, and really didn't look at any specific habitat.

I am going to be hunting around Two Harbors, MN, in early December. I was wondering if there is some certain habitat I should concentrate on, should I just walk through the woods and avoid logging roads?

I would just like some general help on hunting these guys in early December.

Thanks
Steve Mealman
Mod 97
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Can I jump on here, too?

How does snow cover affect grouse hunting?

I'm fairly new to the game, but I would look for aspen/balsam mix. Also, anywhere a conifer stand meets aspen or hardwoods. Think upland/lowland transition. I think late in the year they start looking at aspen buds for food, so look at more mature stands. BUT, the key is: adapt - if they aren't in one cover type, try another!

I'm not a fan of walking trails/roads. I just beat the brush. Got a dog? Following the dog is the best bet. Only the nose knows for sure.

Good luck!

NR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Mod 97 hit it you need to look for the food source they will be close. Then you need to find the thickest cover close to that food source. I have found quite a few Grouse in open woods when the snow gets deep I think they want a clear exit from their snow roost. One last piece of advise late in the season you will flush multiple birds together alot of the time at least in my neck of the woods. If you hunt with out a dog pause a few seconds every 10 or so steps they tend to flush wild or hold fairly tight in late season. If you find the birds concentrated on a food source show some restraint and leave a few for seed. Good luck and good hunting and please support the Ruffed Grouse Society.
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Steve:
I gave you a reply on doublegunshop so I will not repeat here. My comments were pretty well covered by Mod97 and Pudelpointer.
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:12 am  Reply with quote

A lot depends on how much snow cover you have. I love hunting grouse when we have just an inch or 2 of snow…preferably fresh, fluffy snow. If you can cut a fresh track, just follow it and pay close attention when you’re getting close to a clump of pines/cedars. Those grouse like to run to the other side of those clumps and then fly…leaving you without a shot. A slow, steady pointer will be a huge help.

One place to look for when conditions are like this is southern facing slopes with a mix of poplar/alder/birch and pines/cedars. Those southern facing slopes will likely have less snow or no snow at all. The areas under the pines and cedars will almost certainly be free of snow. The grouse will use these areas to soak up some sun as well as forage for food on the ground. Creek bottoms and beaver ponds are likely to have this sort of cover.

Remember, once the ground is covered with snow, the grouse will be feeding exclusively in the trees on catkins and poplar/birch/alder buds. The only other thing you need is good overhead cover and wind protection. That means pines and cedars. Find a good mix of those or a transition from one to the other.

Hopefully I can kill a deer tomorrow morning and get back to chasing grouse.
steve mealman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the advice. I have a Very nice lab that holds tight and points. I use him as my guide dog for pheasant hunting in South Dakota. He picks up about 750 pheasants a year. I used him as a young dog at college for grouse, but he was a little wild. Now that he is 8 I think he should be much better.

Thanks
Steve
www.firewatersd.com
MunsterMan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

food and protection,

especially for late season,,, pretty much sums it up here in lower michigan.., i typically find both along overgrown winding creeks, river bottoms..,, not familiar with MN habitat..

best wishes,

kevin
Mattson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have had luck around Pine City on state land, mostly hunting around the edges of swap/marsh areas, which is just about the entire area. I try sticking within 25 yards of the edge of the marsh while walking in the poplar/birch/alder. As the snow gets deeper get closer to the marsh edges. I echo the rest above, find the food source, in this area (Pine City) there are lots of berries, almost too much food to narrow it down. always follow up a shot, even if you think you missed, you might be surprise to see you didn't.