16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Visitors , Aquaintance's , Friends , and the 16 GA. Society
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Wednesday evening the twenty first ( this was when I was getting ready to head out to the Dakota's, leaving the next morning).

I received a call that caused me to think of just how we all interact and affect others lives .

This gentleman by the Name of Tom Chester from around the Chicago area gave me a call , he ask if he was bothering me about calling ? Wanting to talk about Pheasant hunting , Standing Rock Reservation and the 16ga.

I said shoot no I would love to visit with him. Tom went on to tell me about himself and just how he came to give me a call.

Tom is new to shooting the 16ga and upland hunting and is learning all about his new adventure from ALL OF US ON THE NET , it appears that being a past Golf Pro that he has wandered over to a hobby of a lifetime , the addiction of upland hunting and now the 16ga .

Tom went on to tell me about the Hunt that he just went on in Mitchell SD. Telling me he wanted to expeirance a WILD BIRD HUNT, when he got there the Owner had a pen full of Phesants , the Lab that he rescued in the city didnt know what a fence was and bounced off of the wire .

Tom said this was only the start , putting a good number of people in line and marching across a sorgum field all day long ( this is appairently not what Tom had envisioned for a Wild Bird Hunt ).

Tom told me everyone got a limit of birds but he only shot one , he expressed the desire to Hunt Wild Birds not tame birds and this is what he just got Tame Birds.

Tom went on to tell me that he has followed everyone of my post and wanted to visit with me about the Marlin 90 the Wad , Shells , and most importantly the Standing Rock Reservation and Pheasant hunting there , he was concerned if this was a real wild bird place or more pen raised birds just as he was exposed to.

Tom also went on to tell me that he has just been a visitor to the site and not a member . Now that he got a chance to visit with me he said he was ready to join up with the rest of us who love the 16ga .

I think Tom has already joined the group I think I just seen a post from him with his handle ???

Tom if I got parts of the story wrong please jump in there and straighten it out for me.

How many more folks out there are interested in the 16ga , Upland Hunting , are not a member of this forum ??? How many want to visit with someone and learn something new ?? Make new Friends ??? Perhaps trade a hunt ??

I urge you folks that visit the site to join up and be counted , share your knowledge , make some new friends and promote the 16ga to eveyone you meet , soon we will be making a difference and bring the 16ga back to the rightful place as the choice of the upland gunner.

Please feel free to give me a call of an evening if you want to visit about the 16ga , shells, wads or hunting , if I am busy in the shop I will say so and will give you a call back or you can call me at a designated time that is good for both of us, my Cell # is 573-280-8548 .

Regards Charles
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Like other sites I follow there are lots of readers who never post. Just look at the number of times a string is read compared to the number of contributors. These sites are like an iceberg, most of the mass is not visible.

These "lurkers" enjoy reading the info but are shy about asking questions or trying to answer them. I think that there are enough other sites where a person that asks a novice type question results in an embarassing beating that they shy away from joining in the conversation.

Everyone should join in if only to say thanks when they read something that was particularly helpful, or to share a short story about a found gun or weekend in the fields. And if we make these guys welcome, they'll stay and become more comfortable with contributing.

Jeff
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Jeff :

I feel you are correct about this , I would urge all , Accomplished Shooters and the compleat Novice Shooter to exchange questions and information . I have a good time helping someone out that is just starting or someone that has been around for awhile and having some issues with something I know about and in return when I need help on something I will for sure ask for help , have a few things going on right now that others are helping me figgure out and I do appreciate this greatly .

Hey we all started out from scratch , some are just older and some practice more than others , but we all need to find a common ground and that is the love of what we do for Entertainment , Tradition , and the future .

Its about time EVERYONE is acknodleged for contributing to this fourm to make it what it is , we grow stronger by just our presence and small contrabutions that we can make to promote our PASSION . THE 16GA.

Regards Charles