16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Hunter!!!
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Meet "Reina", my new GSP puppy! She is 7 weeks old today. We picked her up Friday night. So far, she is doing really well with crate training, potty train, she fetches, and is learning "come".

She found some old pheasant feathers in the backyard and went nuts following the scent. That was really fun to watch.

I need some recommendations though for a good book on training her. I am re-reading my old copy of "Gun Dog" by Wolters and I have his new book "Game Dog".

What else do you guys recommend?

Also, if anyone has some info on classes or trainers in or around Sacramento, please let me know!

Thanks,

david

chorizo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Saludos desde Boise

I recommend the book by Ben O Williams, "The Instictive Training Method" especially if you are going to have La Reina as a home dog and not trial run the dog. I used that method on my last two and I have a pair of dogs I am very proud of. Would they win trials? No, but they find, point and retreve birds and it was so easy for me and them to train them. And they are my house dogs also. One is at the wife's feet and the other in his bed at mine.

What a beautiful pup, enjoy her!

We are headed to Espana for Christmas and spending 10 days. I am going to haunt the gun stores in Madrid and see what I can find!

un abrazo,
Miguel.

nossman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

That's a good looking pup!

I have a 2.5 yr old Brittany (1st bird dog) and used a little info from a few different sources. Things have worked out pretty well. Rusty wont win any awards, but then again, neither of us care about that. We both have leared a lot and learn more on every outing. I put Rusty through a few training sessions (intorduction to birds) with Jessie at Olive Hill Kennel. They also own the Quail Point Hunt Club. When Rusty was 6 months old, I left him with the kennel & Jessie for a week of training 'introduction to the gun'. I also got some pretty good info from a DVD 'Training Pointing Dogs" by George Hickox. I like the DVD a lot, as you can see his methods, including how he trains with the e-collar. I still refer back to the DVD (various portions) occasionally. The only thing I wish I would have done different (learning curve on my part), was to get him started with birds sooner.

Good luck, and keep the trianing sessions fun for both you & Reina!

Rob

Last edited by nossman on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Miguel,

Thanks! I ordered the book and its on its way. I love to read as much as I can about what I am doing --especially when I can't afford to make too many mistakes.

I have been reading the dog forums and found that Wolters is not too popular. As I re-read certain sections I can certainly see why (Last time I read this book, I was in high school). But his main point, that you can start training a dog early, I think is right on. Kinda like Freud --got some things right, but screwed up on a lot of others.

España eh? Hang on to that wallet!!! Its gonna be expensive. But, hey a good Rioja o Duero, some jamón haburgo, a little tortilla, manchego, and lechal for dinner, a sorbete de cava for desert with some good Jerez (Duque de Alba) to finish it off... Oh my, I am hungry!!!!! And still worth the effort to do a day trip to Eibar and special order a 16 ga. gun! Hey, its the dream of a lifetime for me! Once you get back, we can work out the import details --lol.

Damn I'm jealous! Have a good trip and don't eat too well mi amigete.

Recuerdos,

david
Newly O'Brian
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Is that the Easter Bunny she has pinned down?
gsilber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:51 am  Reply with quote

If you plan to train your pup yourself and would like to have some one-on-one expert guidence with scheduled sessions and plenty of bird exposure (upland and duck), I highly recommend joining the local chapter of NAVHDA (North American Versitile Hunting Dog Association). It consists entirely of owners such as yourself that all own and train their pointing dogs. You will end up with a finished hunting dog that you will be very proud of.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck and enjoy your pup.

I got this from the NAVHDA site.

California (Sacramento)
Chapter name: Great Central Valley
Michael Shirk
384 Chelmsford Drive
Brentwood CA 94513
Phone: 925/240-6496
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I had good results using the book "Speed Train Your Own Birddog" by Larry Mueller, the dog editor for Outdoor Life. Used it on my last two GSP's. His method starts at 8 weeks of age.

Dennis
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Great looking pup. I would also suggest NAVHDA if you join they will send you the green book it is a step by step training manual for versitile dogs. Chuck Johnson has a new book out also about training Versitile dogs. Don't worry you have pleanty of time to train her. Your job right now is to socialize her extremely well. Intruduce her to new things and build her confidence build that bond between the two of you. She needs to see you as the boss who is always fair and just and the guy I always have fun with. You can look NAVHDA up on the web.
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

Rob --I have a card at Quail Point and have spoken to Jessie and may put Reina through a few sessions with him out there --especially for the introduction of the gun part. I do not want a gun shy dog. Were you happy with the work they did? Also, I will look for the DVD.

gsilber --This really sounds right up my alley. I found my breeder via the NAVHDA website.

pudelpointer --I have heard a lot about the "green book". Can you talk a little more about it? We are working on the socialization and the housebreaking part right now. Hope to have the housebreaking part down in a week or so...

Square --Will look for that book too... thanks!

Newly --Yes! That is the Easter Bunny!!!! We are working on breaking all the myths early! --That starts by hunting down the Easter Bunny and killing it!!!!! --lol
nossman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm  Reply with quote

David,
I have not bought a card this year, yet. Been stomping around public land.
As for the training with Jessie. Yes, I have been happy with the training he did. I started with a couple of sessions (intro to birds, etc.), then a little later, I left Rusty with him for the intro to the gun training. I had to go out of town for work, so they had Rusty for 2 weeks. The first week, he did the intro to the gun and the 2nd week, he basically hunted over him, along with getting him started with the e-collar.

After this initial training, I picked up the DVD and an e-collar. The methods George uses in the video compliment the training that Jessie did.

If I need to travel for more than a few days, I take Rusty out to the kennel for a week of training (Pre-Season Tune-up).

Whenever I pick-up the e-collar or my gun, Rusty gets excited! I swear you can hear him say Whoo Hoo!
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

You will receive the green book when you join NAVHDA it is simple step by step written by Bodo Winterfelt. He was the founder of NAVHDA in North America. Its great for beginners it makes the whole process of training a Versitile dog understandable and gives you a place to start and end. I have adjusted my training on the 2nd dog but still refer to it often. Another step by step book is "training the sporting dog" by Donald Smith & Ervin Jones it is the orange book. As far as gun shyness once your pup is settled in and building confidence introduce loud noise when you are doing something she likes. The old trick of banging pots when you feed them works. Start slow and build. When she is running in the feild or retrieving fire a cap gun just read her its all part of proper socialization. It your #1 job to socialize her and build confidence in her this is the ground work and building blocks for later training. A confident dog that can be put into different situations and be happy will learn and become a great hunting companion. The most important part of her life is right now and in your hands. Introduce her to ever person and dog you know. Take her every place you can think of show her water and fields,birds and cows I mean everything. This will be more important than your formal training method later build that confidence. House training should take a few days with a smart dog like a shorthair just take her outside to the spot you want her to use everytime you get her out of the kennel, when she wakes up or after she eats. Give her a command word like potty or something and after a week she will go on command. Ok well I rambled on enough you'll figue it out.