16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Beater shotgun
caplock
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Just curious. How many here use an old beater for bad weather, & or tough hunting conditions instead of the gun you realy want to use? I'm torn between keeping my best guns for a better day & life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

caplock

birddog
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Caplock,
That's all I use is ugly guns, they're a tool and when worn out I replace them. Still trying to wear out that M37 Ithaca, while the new Dehaan gets it's daily thrashings also.
I've bought all mine to use and will put all of the father in laws in the safe.
He's the collector Razz Besides if I look at any of them to long, I just have to pull their trigger Rolling Eyes
Sorry man I'm probably no help, but just can't come to buying the VS model and then not use it Wink
Charlie
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

caplock,
I have been told I am a good example of a poor example but, here is my thoughts. I have a couple shotguns I use when the weather is good. Good means it is not pouring down rain. In all other cases I don't worry about the shotgun in the field. Wet weather a simple boxlock or my Rem. 11 or 11-48 goes to work. I just don't like to soak a sidelock if I can keep from it.
Best,
Ron
chorizo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

I use CZ ringnecks in either 12 or 16 ga as my foul weather guns. Usually that means rain/snow is highly likely.

Last edited by chorizo on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Even my best guns go out in snotty weather.

With good wood finish and careful drying of the metal parts there is no reason not to....and a good gun looks so nice leaning in the corner of a weatherbeaten duck blind with a few beads of water and dog hair all over it.

Jeff
Stack16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Caplock,

My beater is a Sears model 20 pump gun 16 ga. Don't know who made it for them,as it looks somewhat like a mod. 12 in the reciever,safety in front of the trigger(crossbolt),but the mechinism that feeds the shells from the magizine tube up to the chamber looks and acts just like a mossberg. All the 12 ga.s that I've seen were J.C. Higgins.
The 16 is marked with 2 astreiks for mod. choke. The bore mikes at .668 and the choke mikes out at .650 (.018). The bore is the best looking part of the gun. The reciever has a lot of shallow surface pitts and frekles all over. The barrel looks a little better, a few scratches here and there. No checkering was ever on the stock or forearm, just plain jane, but it shoots where you point it. It throws a slug pretty good too. I used it last weekend for the extended anterless season as it was rainey and trying to freeze. I will use it tomorrow as it is snowing right now. Expecting 6-8 inches by morning.
Best of all, I gave 50 dollars for it about 6 yrs. ago.

Griff
berg
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Stack16
Your Sears model 20 was made by High Standard. I've never shot one in a 16, but a High Standard 12 ga. was my first and only shotgun for about 20 years.

berg
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

One man's "best" is another man's "beater". My "best" guns are Fox Sterlingworths. I have Stevens 5100's which my "bad weather" guns. Now, to some folks, my old Sterlys would be the beaters. And so it goes...

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
rayb
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Some folks would clasify most of my shotguns as beaters,,

but thats their opinion...

they are my pride and joy..

rayb

budrichard
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:06 am  Reply with quote

No beaters here, but if waterfowling will use either a Rem 332 or if its really going to be muddy an 870 but they all are treated with care.
The one thing I won't do is let someone purchase my guns that have been unused when I an dead!-Dick
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:13 am  Reply with quote

My Merkels go to field no matter what the weather. I can always dry the wood off, clean and lubricate the metal parts and have it ready to go again. My 1620 got wet so many times earlier this year I thought I was going to clean the blue right off the barrels. Laughing

For deer hunting I use my T/C Encore with walnut stock/forend. Only time I change there is if we are driving in heavy brush etc. Then I put my Rem 1187 to use with a buckshot barrel on it. But it's got nothing to do with the weather.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with budrichard on this one. Since passing the 1/2 century mark, I figure that I'll be the guy that puts the unintentional ( though all too common) marks on them. If they get wet, so be it, I'll be just as wet as the gun. Besides, half the fun of using guns is learning what makes them work and how to care for them. If a guy is uncomfortable about carrying a gun on an ugly day, he probably ought to leave it at home on a nice day too.

chorizo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I have passed that magical half century mark also and I would disagree with Fred. Nothing wrong with using a beater. Most of my guns until just recently were beaters. But I see no sense in taking a $3,000 gun out in crappy weather when I have a $700 gun that will do just as well and not risk screwing up a fine piece of workmanship. Do I need it often, well only when I don't have a lot of time to clean for several days my good guns or when it is really wet out.

Why do I have $3,000 guns....I appreciate the fine workmanship and handling, pride of ownership for short. Can I use somethings less, hell yes, or I wouldn't have hunted for the last 50 years. Do I want to rust out a fine gun I could pass on to my grandsons? You make the call.

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

caplock wrote:
Just curious. How many here use an old beater for bad weather, & or tough hunting conditions instead of the gun you realy want to use? I'm torn between keeping my best guns for a better day & life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

caplock

The key for me is to have really good beaters that I enjoy almost as much as my more expensive guns. I have nothing so great that it can't get wet or take a nick, but I really don't want to mess up my 1620 or a 54 year old mint finish on my Sweet Sixteen when I can grab my BUL and not worry in the least about the gun on a tough hunt. The BUL has about as much workmanship as a crescent wrench, but it's a hell of a tool when you need it! I've also got an old Rem 11 that I bought for a song and refinshed myself, so I don't mind using that one and most importantly, I can shoot it and the BUL to the best of my abilities.

Furthermore, if my better guns gets truly soaked, I'm not skilled enough with screwdrivers to take apart a nice SxS or valuable A5 without buggering the screws, but I can take down a modern repeater and clean it up no problem.

There's no right or wrong on this. We just do what we're comfortable with or what makes sense to us. My pendulum has swung a little away from guns and back toward my dogs and training, so I don't care quite so much about what I'm shooting as long as I can shoot it well and it's fairly easy to carry.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

My "beater" is a high condition M-37 16ga. I intend to use it for a little duck hunting this season using T/M shells. I have a couple of Sears Model 20s in 12ga (father's and grandfather's) that don't seem to eject modern shells well. My father bought both of them in the 50s when paper/roll-crimped shells were used, and I guess were a little shorter than the crimped shells that we use now. Or maybe they need a good cleaning. I have used my Merkel 1620 and Jeffrey BLE guns in less than ideal weather. But the Jeffrey is 95 yrs old and needs to be handled with care. I have read that Merkels are "rust magnets" but have not found that to be the case with my 1620.