16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Beater shotgun
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

My two beaters are a 80's Spanish 20ga double and my old chopped Flues 16ga.. If I'm hunting in the rain or snow I don't have to worry about them. When I get back to my vehicle a quick wipe down with a towel and into a gun sock. When I get home hang them up in the basement and make sure my dehumidifier is on. The most care they get if a snake down the barrel once in a while and a good cleaning at the end of the season. With the dehumidfer never a spot of rust. Now with my nice guns that's another story and a real pain when your wet, cold and every bone aches.
Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I have real beaters by anyones standard in 16, 20, & 28 gauge that ranged in cost between $265-$350. The least expensive of them is a sixteen gauge Ithaca Western Arms gun I got two days before hunting season started this year. So far I have used it more than anything else.

Skip

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

this is a great post - fun to read.

I've also noticed that my "best" is a "beater" to most guys.

This year I added a Citori grade 3 to my collection; already had a superlight which is/was my "baby". On one of my hunts in MT I had a very light mist that threatened rain, so I grabbed my '60's Rem 110 (mod choke) and went out w/my "beater." Stopped misting and never did rain - that day I shot better w/that "beater" than my Citori. I think I was more relaxed, or whatever? One Mallard, one hun, 2 sharpies, and a rooster - dog was pooped but not a bad morning with my "beater." Go figure? Smile

caplock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:09 am  Reply with quote

manofthewoods wrote:
this is a great post - fun to read.

I shot better w/that "beater" than my Citori. I think I was more relaxed, or whatever? One Mallard, one hun, 2 sharpies, and a rooster - dog was pooped but not a bad morning with my "beater." Go figure? Smile

Interesting, this has come up a few times here. I'd say we might be trying so hard to make our "best" gun perform, [ perhaps to justify the $s invested] that we just blow it. Hmmm, the local gun shop has a couple 16s under 200 bucks.

trust me
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

All the guns passed down by my father show years of use and even abuse. I wouldn't have it any other way. Every scratch and ding tells stories of days afield in simpler, better times.

Had he passed on a mint gun, (which he didn't), that item just wouldn't mean much to me. All it could speak of would be many forlorn years in a guncase, looking pretty but doing nothing worthwhile.

All my guns would be called beaters. My hunting gun could be used as an aid in climbing a steep muddy bank trying to reach a point, or as a means to part a briar tangle. If the finish suffers, so be it. If it enables me to enjoy a day afield to the fullest, it's worth it.

Stack16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Ref. Highcountry,
On the Sears model 20 12ga. that doesn't seem to eject modern shells properly.

Ref. Budrichard,
Model 20 that must be pumped vigerously.

On my model 20 16ga. I have found that it too will bind up when trying to pump out the empty hull if I pump it like any other normal pump gun. The trick is to hold the forearm forward when shooting it, it doesn't take much, then pump it out, or after the shot push it forward then aft. it will spit it out like a auto. Don't know why. Hope it works you guys.
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote

some may consider me crazy for camo dipping a sweet sixteen but it has been worth it. No rust or scratches to the bluing is a beautiful thing!
fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Stack16,
You are correct on your observation of the forward motion release. Believe it or not, that is the way most pump actions are designed. Because of the recoil of the gun, the forward motion occurs without you noticing it in most guns. The model that you note must need just a bit extra to get it going.
FRED

BK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

I was of the opinion that if I have a gun I like, I'm going to use it. Until... I managed to screw up the finish of my BPS in one day hunting for waterfowl at a reservoir in eastern Oregon. In the time it took for the hunt, and drive back to town, the finish was toast. Now, if I know I'm going to be rolling around like a pig in the acidic mud of a desert lake bed l'll use a Remmie 870 Express.
psubowhunter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

caplock wrote:
Just curious. How many here use an old beater for bad weather, & or tough hunting conditions instead of the gun you realy want to use? I'm torn between keeping my best guns for a better day & life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

caplock

My original 11-87 which I purchased it 1987 its one of the first Remington shipped, If it can survive going 15 ft deep in the Chesapeake bay while sea duck huntin then it can go anywhere in any conditions. It's taken untold #'s of doves, pheasants, ducks, geese, and deer with the slug barrel. When the going gets tuff this is the meat gun I pull out.
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

BK- Why worry about closing the barn door when the horse is already out? Smile