16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Leave original or not
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

wabahockey wrote:
I'm going to side with the minority. I buy old guns because I like the quality and finish of real walnut and blued or case hardened steel. No plastic nor stainless in my gun safe. I get excited by pictures of the guns when they were new and will restore each gun to its original glory of the day it left the factory. What would you think if new gun catalogs showed pictures of a gun all battered up from field use? Whoud you buy a new gun with "character"?

I'm on your side as I stated earlier. Do I want the gun as my grandpa saw it when he looked at it for the first time or do I want it after it has been misused? Not me, I hope I have it so that I can feel that he is looking down and we are both thinking I want to buy that gun. We're both thinking of that sears store he walked into and decided to buy the gun. He couldn't afford it, but he bought it and now I have it. Do I want it to look beat up or do I want it to look like when he first saw it? I just hope that somday whem my grandkids ar going out for a hunt, they will stop and rack the pump and say great grandpa's gun still looks nice.
Fluesy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Jed Welcome to the Group, You are absolutely making the right decision to leave the gun as is. I am blessed with owning my Late Dad's J.C. Higgins, every mark and scratch were put on the gun honestly, they represent the times afield he spent with the gun. They are marks and reminders of his impeccable character, his infectous laugh, his soothing voice and hard earned wisdom. I would trade all the nice shiney new guns I have for one more day with my Dad. The marks are honest proof of a gun used, not abused and they are priceless. I'm hoping to pass this gun on to a son or grandson with maybe just a couple more marks on it. To do any less would be a disservice to his memory.
My $.02 Worth
Chet

TJ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:52 am  Reply with quote

From the description it seems that the honorable wear that your grandpa acquired on the gun didn't seem to bother him any. Otherwise wouldn't he have had it refinished? Maybe he enjoyed the 'character' his favorite shotgun developed.

Once a gun is redone all that character and signs of it's history are gone forever. You can't undo that so think about it carefully as regret lasts a long time.

I'd leave it alone other than a good cleaning and oiling. Enjoy it for what it is, a treasured family heirloom.

TJ
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

First and foremost, I would consult with Gramps and see what his feelings are on this issue. On second thought, first I would check with the family and find out if Gramps knows they are giving his stuff away before talking to him about it.

Regardless of what others tell you, go with your heart and have the gun the way you want it. But if you do have it restored, please send it to the very best who has a national reputation for restoring Model 12s back to the the way they looked coming out of the factory. In my mind, Les Hovencamp of Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, NY is THE man to send Ithacas to. But not being all that familiar with the Model 12s I have no idea who Les' counterpart with the Model 12 would be. But I sure would be researching it to find out just who to send it to for the restoration, if that is what you decide to do.