16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wad filler contraption almost free
Dads A-5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:53 am  Reply with quote

In my efforts to remain the "simple man" in reloading......................

I wanted to use but one wad. It seems the Remington SP16 is the most available so it was chosen. I found a powder that produced low PSI, with adequate velocity, a readily available hull and a popular primer. I am perfectly happy with the 1&1/8 ounce load but I have began to think and search out a way to load, using the same components, a 1 ouncer. Their are times in the field and on the range when a 1 ounce load is more than enough, in fact the 3/4 and 7/8 crowd make a lot of sense too.

I didn't want to add a cost of wad fillers to my reloads, things cost enough already don't they?
I took a 5/8 quality hole saw bit and sharpened the cutting end smooth. I left the internal edge smooth. The outside was tapered to form a cutting edge. I then found a bolt that would thread into the top. I can now take low pile commercial, outdoor looking, carpet scraps and cut wafers to drop into the bottom of the shot cups. It only takes one firm tap from a hammer on a solid surface and a wafer is cut. You cut about 15 to 20 in just seconds and un-thread the bolt and push them out with a screwdriver. You can make a pile of them in short order. I took a Remington 1 ounce load apart to look at the wad and it looks like the Blue 1 ouncer that Remington makes on the special runs. The wafer fills the cup to exactly the same depth as the 1 ounce factory wad.

Photos below hope it helps someone. Wink

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Your solution is an improvement over the antique punch I have sitting on a shelf.I am lucky enough to get my spacers free from another shooter-I just have to blow the cardbard"dust" off before using.Spacers are the only way to go sometimes and of course stretch that bag of shot out for several more boxes Wink Cool Very Happy
Dads A-5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Is it ok to add a spacer to a shot cup to fill it up so it will crimp correctly?

The listed load does not show a filler but the crimps look so much better with the filler.

Just don't want to do something wrong.

Please advise.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

You will be just fine--I put mine on top of the shot then start the crimp-this avoids the chance of plugging up the shot drop tube when putting them at the bottom of an empty wad Wink
SageRat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Stryafoam from meat containers bought at the grocery store also work very well for those over shot fillers. Easy and cheap with the same process used.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:34 am  Reply with quote

The 1 ounce wade you recovered from the game load is the R16 wad we have been buying from Recob's Target Shop. Remington was providing them on a bulk purchase basis. I think you can still get them if you want to avoid fillers for 1 ounce loads. The R16 also makes it easier to load the 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads by rwequiring fewer filler wads.

Sage Rat has given you a valuable tip. Styrofoam meat trays are cheap to get (free), and are also very easy on the cutting tool. They are also lighter in weight than carpet, easier to compress so they are more forgiving crimpwise, and will not absorb moisture either. Oh, did I say they were free. Free is good. Very Happy
Dads A-5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Great idea.

I have heard about the meat trays but had forgotten that.

I will get some ASAP and chunk the carpet idea.
Buckeyechuck
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

I used a piece of cherrios cereal, it worked just fine. I put most on the bottom of the shot cup, also a few on top to attempt spreader. May try more in the future.