16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Remington GOING PINK AGAIN.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Those hulls look red to me! :)

I would still like to know where Charles got his info and I mean no offense by that. If he saw a sneak pick at a 2008 catalog or price list I would like to know. OTOH, if he got his info from a "rep" then I'll wait until the catalog comes out to verify since "reps" are responsible for more BS than fact.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

clayflingythingy wrote:
Those hulls look red to me! Smile

I would still like to know where Charles got his info and I mean no offense by that. If he saw a sneak pick at a 2008 catalog or price list I would like to know. OTOH, if he got his info from a "rep" then I'll wait until the catalog comes out to verify since "reps" are responsible for more BS than fact.

I'll run by favorite shop as soon as I can. If the catalog has been issued, they'll let me see it.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

Go to your magazine stand , get a copy of the Remington guide put out by shooting times , go to the back pages and look for your self.

Look and see WHAT YOU DONT SEE.

This came from the Horse's mouth.

Their is more but at this time I am not able to share.

Regards Charles
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Charles,

I'm confused. I just went over to Remington.com and downloaded the PDF of the 2008 catalog and 16 gage Remington Game Loads are still listed along with the Express 16.

Clay
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Just got back from Barnes & Noble where I saw the Remington Guide put out by Shooting Times. The ST Guide did not show ANY game loads, Shurshot loads, or Express loads.

The 2008 Remington catalog PDF shows all of the above, 16 included.

Looks to me like someone at ST left out a page.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Nothing left out , websites are changed all the time to reflect the moment and updating is sometimes not done with any degree of accuracy due to current events.

As I said this comes from the horses mouth ,

Regards Charles
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,
Happy New Year. You are a great addition to this board and have done things that others only talk about. I appreciate what you have done and believe in what you say. I find no reason to doubt you and look forward to the new year and any information you find it appropriate to share with us.
Best always,
Ron
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:31 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,

I've been putting off personally thanking you for all your efforts for the sake of us all (I'm an awful procastinater at times). I can't delay any longer. Thank You. Your effort with the new wad is nothing short of altruistic and amazing. And, when your ressurection (I don't know how to use the spell check here without losing my post) of the model 90 happens it should be named the "Hammack model 90" or if Bill Hanus is involved maybe the "Hammack- Hanus" or "H&H"!

Now guys, if the RGL goes the way of the dinasaur, what is the next closest thing available to try to match it? After much tribulation and trial and error, I'm all set up for this hull. I've got plenty of R16's, sg20l's and card wads ready to go and I'm finally happily living in my 16 ga. world and crushing more clays than I deserve. I don't want to have to start a hard search for a different "go to" gun or gauge. After 37 years of shooting other guns and gauges, me and the 16 ga. model 12 I've been shooting for about three years have damn near gelled. I truly feel I'm close to getting to the next level of becoming a consistent decent shooter. At least that's my goal and I don't feel like quitting.

What are your thoughts on how we are to adapt, those of us that use this hull exclusively or primarily? And if Charles or someone else really wants to accomplish a one of a kind, never to be matched feat...will we ever have a 16 ga. compression formed hull equal in quality to what's available in the other gauges?

I do not wan't to give up shooting the sweetest handling gun I ever owned, switch gauges, or end up with an obsolete, barely usable masterpiece from an era we'll never again see!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Shades of Joe McCarthy!! You mean to tell me Remington has gone over to the Commies? Shocked Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Laughing

Remington has been using the Chinese made Cheddite hulls with the star on the shell head face for their promo 12 ga loads for nearly a year now. They are identical to those used by nearly every company I've seen like Rio, the original Estate shells, Winchester, Etc. We've seen this coming for nearly a decade now.

The hulls are safe and reloadable. They are also relatively cheap. I'd not get too upset here folks. It had to come sometime. Besides, the last batch of black GL16 hulls I got split after one or two reloadings, so we've not really lost a thing.

The plastic base wad could have an extended internal wall or shoulder that would allow the use of the R16 and SP-16 wads. Anyway, I would not panic until we see what's in the offing here.

Thanks for the heads up Charles. Now, back to the playoffs. Go Pats!!!
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

I thought Cheddites were a French product?

Or is it a French company that manufactures their hulls in China?

Since the PDF of the Remington catalog still lists the 16 gage GL then Remington must have a large inventory left if they have indeed discontinued them. Or, they are loading GL with a new hull (Cheddite?). Or, they are rebranding an foreign ammo. Or, they haven't been discontinued.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.cheddite.com/indexENG.htm

Click on history.

This implies they are manufactured in Europe.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 am  Reply with quote

clayflingythingy wrote:
I thought Cheddites were a French product?

Or is it a French company that manufactures their hulls in China?

Since the PDF of the Remington catalog still lists the 16 gage GL then Remington must have a large inventory left if they have indeed discontinued them. Or, they are loading GL with a new hull (Cheddite?). Or, they are rebranding an foreign ammo. Or, they haven't been discontinued.

Lot's of ORs in there. Very Happy Covering all bases?

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

the hulls look identical to the old Texas based Estate cartridges from almost a decade ago. The heads have tha same single star stamped on them. The old Estates were definately made in China. It said so right on the box.

I'm betting the French are having them made in China. France has been doing business with the Chinese far longer than the USA has. They were not involved with our old China policies. France has always done what is good for France, regardless of the USA and its wishes. They have a certain amount of experience and wisdom we are still learning. They made most of their big national mistakes long before we did. However, they will probably make whole new ones as we will. And so it goes.
Trigg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Regarding the issue of whether Remington will be making the RGL's in 2008, I wrote an email to Remmington and asked if they wouold be making 16 gauge RGL's in 2008 since I was wanting to order a few cases and my dealer was out of them. They wrote back yesterday that they would be making the RGL's in 16 guage for 2008 in shot sizes 8,7.5, and 6. This is good news to me, assuming the people that answer questions for Remington actually know what Remington is making these shells will apparently still be available.

Trigg
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:20 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
the hulls look identical to the old Texas based Estate cartridges from almost a decade ago. The heads have tha same single star stamped on them. The old Estates were definately made in China. It said so right on the box.

I'm betting the French are having them made in China. France has been doing business with the Chinese far longer than the USA has. They were not involved with our old China policies. France has always done what is good for France, regardless of the USA and its wishes. They have a certain amount of experience and wisdom we are still learning. They made most of their big national mistakes long before we did. However, they will probably make whole new ones as we will. And so it goes.

One star?

All the Cheddite's I have examined have four stars on the base. This includes the 16 gage Gamebores I have on hand.

Could "one star" hulls be a knockoff?

Trigg,

Since the GL's were listed in the catalog PDF I was reasonably certain they would still be offered. The real story is if they have switched hulls or are rebranding imported ammo.