16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ammunition Outrage
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

We all have heard and experienced for months the increase in price in regard to reloading components and ammunition. We have anticipated with dread and foreboding the predicted increase in costs and the attendant angst this may cause, unless you are wealthy. Friends, that time is here.

For Christmas, some very thoughtful people had given me over $110 in gift cards to Gander Mountain. They do not know the shooting sports, but do know I love to shoot and that a Gander store is close by their home, where my family and I would visit come Christmas. I was excited to visit the store yesterday and see what ammunition was in stock that I might use. "Dismay" and "Disgust" are words which do not begin to describe how sick I was to note the following:

--The lowest priced shotgun target shell of ANY type was the Federal "hi power"promo load: 1 1/8 oz of #8's for $4.99. AA's or STS's were over $9.00/box in 12 ga.

--Of course I looked for 16 ga. shells---they had Rem Express 1 1/8 oz. green/yellow hi brass loads for--can't believe it--$17.99/box !!

--Winchester USA promo .44 mag loads: $35/box of 50 !

--plain-jane Federal Champion .22 LR 40 gr. solids for $22/brick !

--Bismuth 12 ga 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz. #5 loads: $35 for a box of 10 !

I could go on, but I can't make myself, if you know what I mean.....what really enrages me is that I know there are price increases coming---but they simply marked up what was already in stock (purchased at much lower cost than what's coming in) and the gal at the check-out stated that ANOTHER price increase is expected right after the first of the year !

I note the following:
I did not get off the last load of watermelons that came to town; in fact most who know me would state I am a brutally realistic businessman--I know Gander is in business to, in the vernacular, "MAX PROFITS".

But, say what you will about Wal Mart, in disgust and fury I went there next and found the following:

The green/yellow 16 ga. Rem Express loads were "only" $10.70/box there. The Rem. ,44 mags, per 50, were only $28.99. They had --get this---Remington 12 ga (no 16's) 1 oz. #8 Game Loads for $3.00---YES, $3.00--per box. The Federal Champions were $10.70, not $22.00, per brick. All at that store we love to hate, right??

I ask you: How will lower middle income and "poor" people be able to shoot at the Gander prices? Why stick it to someone just because you can? How the hell will the young kids and their parents ever be able to really burn the powder it takes to be a good shot? And why the hell are Gander's prices so punitive, so early? What the hell is Gander Mountain's problem? I'll tell you this, they can take their stupid redneck graffiti clothing which insults hunters, and their high priced ammo and stick it sideways 5 miles up their ass!!

You all do what you want, I've spent my last damned dime at Gander Mountain; Wally World may be many things, but the highest price they're not---and with these increases, that's going to be more of a factor than ever before. I'll stick by those who stick by me! Oh, by the way, Happy New Year everyone.....

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

The great thing about is competition. I've never been a fan of Gander Mountain and when I receive their catalogs, they immediately go into the thrash. I buy alot of my stuff via the catalog and internet and always shop for the best price. I like doing business with the "mom and pops" that can provide good service and great prices due to the internet. Just think what those small businesses couldn't exist several years before the internet. I like to give them my business just to keep them going because of their low prices...

My $.02 for today...
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

I've never read a post by Wolfchief where he was so infuriated Shocked His makes a very valid point----Don't shop at GREEDY MOUNTAIN Exclamation
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

There must be some children on this site (age wise that is).

Back in the early 1980's when we REALLY had inflation on EVERYTHING (interest at 19% on mortgage loans) this was routine.

Retailers raise the price on in-stock merchandise because they NEED THE MONEY to buy the replacement stock.

Welcome to the real world. Lead and tungsten prices are through the roof - expect more price increases as the manufacturers use up their old stock. There is some indication of price stability/reduction so maybe the increases won't continue too much longer.

Maybe if your boss didn't raise his prices as costs increase he'd just fire you and be done with it. If your boss doesn't make a profit he doesn't need you. I'm a CPA and employer and, yes, I've fired employees who didn't make enough money for me - simple capitalism.
vero
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

I tried to make a meaningful reply but this thing beats the hell out of me. Its discusting to experience this gouging but what are we to do. Groups such as 16ga.com will help. I for one will not spend a dime at Gander after reading this entry. I did follow up on good buys at Dicks and found a one and only skid at $38.00 of Rem GL. So I keep reading maybe this will help things to our survival.

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

As the line from the Godfather where they ask the Don for protection and to receive a bill for those services; and their other bosses agree "that of course, we are not communists". If someone like XYZ company but the other person rather shop at ABC, who's to complain?? Cabela is not the cheapest in most products but almost everything I have purchased from them has been of top quality. If I have any issue with any purchased product, they have always gone far and beyond to make me happy. That said, do I buy my ammo from them?? No way... they charge too much for it and I can find other places to get a better deal. I believe it's a valid point that some of the major catalog and internet companies charge too much for their ammo and you can find other places that provide the same product at a significantly lower price...

More $.02 from me...
m856021
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Gander Mountain has built many mega box stores. Their stock has tumbled recently to $4.79 from a 52 week high of $16 following another loss [2] [3]. Their product prices have risen steadily to a level well above the rest of the market in an already competitive outdoors market

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gander_Mountain
Equismith
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

While at the local Grabber Moneyin', I happened to see a leather Winchester dog collar. The Winchester suggested retail price was still on the tag. $7.99. The rest had the Win price tag torn off.

Gander's price on the hook....$9.99. You know at $7.99 they're making some money. At $9.99 they're disguising what some would call a rape of the consumer.

And fwiw, the 16ga BPS 26" Hunter was $549.

Gander won't get my $ for ammo or much else. Dick's is better on ammo and Wal-Mart is about the best retailer for non-sale prices.

Maybe we should flood the Gander in-box with a form letter.

Or just give them a link to this thread Laughing

Miss Libby
prairie_smoke
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Just to add a little fuel to this fire, GM's price for a box of 1 1/4 oz 16 ga magnums was (inhale) $34.99!
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I would not place too much stock in Wal-Mart ,

I have a sneaking feeling within the next 18 months that these folks will disconitinue the firearms sale entirely , I am not sure about the munitions but can only venture a guess that this will follow.

Regards Charles
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

As for the "capitalism" routine, I'm a bank president so I helped write that book; every month at our Board Meeting I get graded on how well I satisfy our stockholders...I'll just say that a business can always charge what the traffic will bear...but it has no basis for complaint if that traffic suddenly becomes rerouted !!

Check out the price differences in ammunition/components/bullets ($34.99 for a 100-pack of Sierra 52 grain MatchKing .224 bullets??) for yourselves as some of the above respondents have done...Gander isn't the only one raising prices, but it's not just being capitalistic---they're flat gouging us; no other way to say it.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

I was in GM 2-3 wks ago and there were as many employees in the store as customers. Apparently they need to jack up their prices to make up for their lack of customers. This, of course, continues the downward spiral. In general, their product selection is lame and they cannot compete in the Denver area with Sportsman's Warehouse. We also have a Bass Pro Shop and I personally don't find it too inspiring either. BPS has a complete catalog selection, but our local store is lacking in meaningful hunting and shooting inventories. Cabelas just signed an agreement to start construction here in '08. I have never been in one so have no opinion about them. But they do have a complete catalog with excellent in-house branded products.

I can only imagine what these prices are doing to the clay shooting sports. Lead at $50/bag or $9.00/box for AA 12ga. Using the AAs would compute to $61/round for sporting clays or skeet at my club - - OUCH!!

Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:29 am  Reply with quote

It constantly amazes me in this age, especially for people who participate in forums like this one, that anyone still buys ammo from a brick and mortar store.

Other than food and some clothing, if it ain't available on the net, I'm probably not gonna buy it.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:15 am  Reply with quote

As another example, I just this morning visited a Meijer store (general big box discount store) and purchased a box of 50 .22 mag Remington 33 gr. Premier rimfire shells to shoot in my Winchester 9422 mag. The cost at Meijer was an even $10.00. These same shells I priced at 2 different Gander mountain stores on Wednesday. Gander's price for the identical product? A whopping $22.99 !!

skeet16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

I just returned from a nearby wally world and the winchester speed loads that I use for sporting clays jumped from $39.99 to $56.99. Look out people, I think were in for a real new year ammo suprise. Sad