16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ammunition Outrage
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

In keeping with this same topic, we all know what has happened to shot prices in the last several months. My club got some #8 1/2 and #9 "Eagle" brand magnum shot, made in Peru the bag says....I bought it for $38/25# bag which is very high but lower priced than I can find it anywhere else....

PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

This afternoon I went to Cabela's in Rogers, MN to kill some time. I've never been impressed with their shell selection over the last couple of years (that would be while I was shooting my 20ga and 12ga). This year they seem to have a good selection of 20ga and 12ga - I assume it's because the price is out-of-control and hunters are purchasing less. Today was different as it was my first time looking for 16ga shells. As you can imagine it took my some time before I even found a box of 16ga shells. Although I shouldn't have been surprised after reading this BB on selection at retail stores it was less than impressive. Price for a box of Fiocchi GP #5 was $15.49 and Federal Ultra-Shok #4 was listed at both $20.99 and $21.99 (I couldn't figure out why they had two price points). I couldn't find any 16ga shells for clay shooting. They also had a couple of boxes of Gamebore #6 for $10.99 and Estate #6 for $6.99. They had maybe 10 total boxes.

I guess I'll need to purchase on the internet and pay for shipping.

And for the record I drove right by the GM store which was closer to home but based on the reports on this BB I figured it was not worth going there.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

PatrickB wrote:
Price for a box of Fiocchi GP #5 was $15.49...

My hunting partner visited the Hamburg, PA. Cabelas prior to Christmas to buy himself ammo for our pheasant hunt. He also paid $15 something a box for the Fiocchi GP #5's.

gspchip
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I recently picked up 6 boxes of 16 gauge Fiocchi GP#5 at JAX Sporting goods store in Ames, IA for 10.99 per box.... sounds like a good price...I am going back this week and pick up some more if they are still at that price.....
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a link to B&P's webpage for their 16ga ammo. They sell by the case and shipping is free. I use their 2.5" 12ga shells and they are outstanding. This might be one of the better ammo buys around right now.

https://www.bandpusa.com/Shopping/index.php/cPath/1_10_12

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:37 am  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
PatrickB wrote:
Price for a box of Fiocchi GP #5 was $15.49...

My hunting partner visited the Hamburg, PA. Cabelas prior to Christmas to buy himself ammo for our pheasant hunt. He also paid $15 something a box for the Fiocchi GP #5's.

He's lucky he even found any there. The last 2 times I was out there they had none at any price.

Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I was in our local Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday. Only had one box of 16 gauge Remington Game Loads on the shelf. Asked a clerk to check the price. It was $3.94 per box. It was cheaper than the 12 gauge and 20 gauge Game Loads. Bought the box but wished they had several flats. Dicks has been slow in restock all shells in general and 16 gauge in particular.
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

I noticed on the B&P web page that the flat of 16 ga. only has 200 shells to a case as opposed to 250 for the 12 ga.

Is that because they only put 8 boxes in a flat or are they 20 shells per box?
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Art Sorrentino wrote:
I noticed on the B&P web page that the flat of 16 ga. only has 200 shells to a case as opposed to 250 for the 12 ga.

Is that because they only put 8 boxes in a flat or are they 20 shells per box?

I noticed that also. I assume that is not a typo, but maybe it is. Everything else appears to be 250/case. Some years ago the big American ammo companies started selling promo ammo in boxes of 20 which has since gone back to 25. B&P sells premium grade shells so if it is 200/case, still not a bad price. The 12ga 2 1/2" shells that I buy from B&P are 250/case - in fact, I just ordered another case yesterday. I roll my own 16ga shells so I haven't bought any from B&P. Keep in mind that B&P uses European shot sizes which are about a 1/2 size smaller than American shot. See table in this link:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3428

vero
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can purchase a slingshot? Okay, a 16ga slingshot.

Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

B&P 16 gauge shotgun shells come 25/box, 8 boxes/case. Have 10 cases in the basement. All of my 12 gauge B&P cases are 10 boxes per case (250 shells).
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:33 am  Reply with quote

Saw nearly the exact same pricing at the Joliet, IL, Gander Mountain the other day. They were asking ridiculous prices on even commonplace 12 and 20 gauge target loads. I got a flat of Top Guns for $1.70 less per box not 30 minutes away (Big R, Morris IL).

When even the nearest Cabela's (Hammond, IN) can undersell you on shells over the counter, something is wrong!
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:04 am  Reply with quote

gspchip wrote:
I recently picked up 6 boxes of 16 gauge Fiocchi GP#5 at JAX Sporting goods store in Ames, IA for 10.99 per box.... sounds like a good price...I am going back this week and pick up some more if they are still at that price.....

JAX also has a store in Ft. Collins, CO. While not a huge selection of 16ga definitely better than most. Best prices you could find on Fiocchi and Kent 16ga shells.

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Don't know about the rest of you, but I noticed this year between Christmas and New Year's that there was an unusually scarce number of year end "clearance sales" on any kind of ammo from the local Dunham's Sports, Big R, Rural King, Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's stores, all of which are located within a 55 mile radius of my home. We'll just have to see what develops but I intend to be all over any decently priced ammo that turns up near me---I'm not expecting miracles though....

mtjim
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the B&P tip. I have two flats on the way. Smile