16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shotgun sight beads
16's & setters
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:32 am  Reply with quote

I have always left the tradional brass bead at the end of the shotgun barrel. I have recently been shooting a new Citori which came with a white bead. This white bead appears to be much more obvious on the bird when shooting in the field. Anybody have any opinions on using the different types of beads that are available?
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Don't pay too much attention to the bead-you will miss the bird. Your eyes can't focus on the bead and the bird at the same time, so concentrate on the bird.

When I switch from a brass bead on my double, to the Raybar on my Ithacas, if I think about about the difference during the shot, I miss. Someday, all the Ithacas are going to get plain, brass beads as well.
Best,
Ted

Trigg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:09 am  Reply with quote

I essentially agree with what Ted said. A bead on a field gun is traditional but really should not even be noticed. I read one article that said while they were traditional you should really do just as well without any bead. I know I lost the bead on one of my guns and it took me a while to notice and I did not worry about replacing it for quite awhile. I can see where beads have some use in some premounted target games but not necessarily in the field.
longwalker
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot better on quick close in shots by concentrating on the bird only, and the bead in those situations is irrelevant. BUT I find I must pay attention to the relationship of bird and bead for consistent long distance pass shooting.
On a 16 ga. I don't like the small mid rib bead sights, or orange or white front beads because they can be distracting on close quick shots, but on a dedicated waterfowl gun I find they don't hurt and may actually help. To each his own...

fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Last year I picked up a 16 Sterlingworth that the previous owner had installed a green Hi Vis bar on. Just for fun, I tried it. Looked like my barrels had a dog turd on top of them, but in all honesty, it didn't help or hurt shooting the gun. Since then, I've gone to a silver bead that looks correct on the gun. For upland birds, it probably makes no difference. I do like the white Bradley beads on my duck guns though.

Rooster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

More than likely a sin to speak of it here, however it goes with the story.....

I have a camo Beretta 390 12bore that is my bad weather, slough-sloppin, beaver run fallen-into, rough country duck gun. It is equipped with a simple brass bead and I have always shot it well.

Last year I decided that one of those little Tru-Glo tube beads would be just the ticket to help keep track of the barrel on those foggy early morning woodies as they slipped over the skyline and into the cypress brake.

I've never really thought that I paid much attention to the barrel of my gun, just concentrate on the bird, but the back of my head kept telling me that little glow worm would help. I put it on and immediately started missing almost every shot. I was shooting under everything I pointed it at.

One trip was enough, the Tru-Glo came off, and I was back to hitting my normal percentages again. As an aside, the height of the two types of beads was of insugnifficant difference.

My story, My 2 cents worth.

Rooster
Rooster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

And my spellin is almost good as my shootin!
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Its good to hear others have tried the new and better sights and gone back to the simpler ones. I have gone back to normal front beads and now only change because of looks. I really like the looks of the Bradley front sights. I also like the looks of double white(ivory) beads on high end shotguns that I use for game and target. They don't improve my shooting but they are pleasing to my eyes.
Best,
Ron
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

On a shotgun, stock fit is absolutely critical as it becomes your sight. You shouldn't notice what is on the end of your barrel when swinging on a bird or clay. I do agree with Ron about the double ivories but that is just window dressing as far as shooting. And like Ted, one of these days I will replace the Raybar on my M37.