16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  FAIR Model 500
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

Now that nutcase has commented, I feel safe to say that I agree 100% with him!

28" bbls, imho, are much better than 26" barrels. Those extra 2" will help keep you swinging through the bird.

Also, imho, false sideplates defeat the entire purpose of having a boxlock. All that extra wood there to strengthen the head of the stock and they remove it for some engraver's canvas. Now, if the engraving was out of this world it might justify it, but if not, well then...

Best,

David
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Harry_Orwell wrote:
MGF, $1730 for a New 600 sounds pretty nice...mind telling where?

Was at the new Cabela's in Hammond, Ind., on VIP (club member) day. They wanted about $1,900, but I had a Cabela's Club Coupon I'd received in the mail, plus some saved up points. Also snagged it on a triple points day, so when those points got credited to my account, I went back and got 3 flats of 16 ga Estates in No. 8 for pretty much free. Even had $20 in points left over, so I grabbed some cleaning supplies.

My 600 Gold has 26" barrels, and I love it in the field. Although I'm familiar with FAIRs, I didn't even realize how good of deal that particular gun was. I just put it to my shoulder a couple times, then broke it down and inspected it and said, "This gun looks NIB." They said it was and brought out the maker's case and such. I plunked down my Cabela's card and went back the next day to pick it up (Illinois resident; 24 hour wait is mandatory.)

I shoot a LX 900 with 28" barrels at the club. On order: Dewings Prestige Limited in 16 w/30" barrels, mid-rib bead and extended chokes. It's going to be my 16 ga clays gun!