16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hornady 366 conversion
NV Guide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

I am gathering information and parts to convert a 366 to 16ga. I purchased a used Pacific DL-250 for parts. I plan to use the sizer on the first station. Use a 20ga decapper on second station. Station 3 primer should be the same. Station 4 powder, same. Station 5 wad, Will I need a 16ga wad guide holder? or will that other size (punt gun) work with the correct wad fingers. Station 6 same. Station 7 pre crimp off the DL. Station 8 crimp off the DL as well as the taper for station 9. I plan to cut my own shell plate from a 20ga model.

Does this sound correct? What am I overlooking? Are there any other things to consider?

Thanks

Dennis
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:36 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Will I need a 16ga wad guide holder?

The wad guide holder is standard on all Hornady/Pacific shot shell loaders. You will need to get a set of 16 gauge wad guides. Hornady sells them for $4.33 for two on line.
NV Guide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I know that the wad guide holder on my 28ga 366 is not the same as the one for the punt gun. Perhaps the 20 16 and PG are the same. I found the crimp starters and wad fingers on line.

Thanks

Dennis
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Every so often a 16 ga conversion kit for the 366DL goes up for grabs on Ebay or one of the gun auction sites. This might be easier than trying to recut a 20 gauge shell plate. But that would work too. I have a 366 DL in 28 and a .410 model. I've come to love the .410 unit. it just took me a while to master it. I use a 28 gauge MEC Grabber for 28 gauge shells more often than the 28 gauge 366.. The Grabber is quicker and easier to use and resizes the heads better IMO.

One thing you might want to think over. The Grabber resizing station is adjustable and the collet type resizer does a much better job of squeezing steel shell bases down enough to avoid feeding problems in repeating guns.

I've had a few shells sized on a MEC junior not fit easily in one of my break opens. Ring type sizers like the ones on the JR and the 366 don't always do the job with steel. They were designed for brass bases which are far easier to resize. The rings are not adjustable either. All new 16 ga shells now have steel heads. So we are probably stuck with the problem for good now.

MEC makes a 16 ga. Grabber. The last time I saw a 366DL conversion set go on Ebay, it went for more money that a new grabber brings. Might be your best bet to look at a Grabber before making up your mind for keeps. Anyway, good luck with it all regardless of how you decide.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
I know that the wad guide holder on my 28ga 366 is not the same as the one for the punt gun.

Sorry I didn't realize Hornady was making re-loaders for punt guns.
NV Guide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Isn't that what that other gauge (12) is???
spunky16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

I purchased a 16 gauge shell plate from Hornady not more than 4 months ago. They probably can save you time.
David Wile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:17 am  Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I purchased a new 16 Ga Hornady 366 about 15 years ago. I was in a gun shop when a Hornady rep came in to talk to the owner. I asked why they did not make a 366 in 16 Ga., and he informed me that they did make one - they just did not advertise it in their annual catalog for some unknown reason. He gave me the part number and told me to call Hornady to order one through my local gun shop. When I called Hornady that same day, the first person told me they did not make a 366 in 16 Ga. When I gave that person the part number, they came back and said they did in fact have the 366 in 16 Ga. and that they also sold conversion kits in 16 Ga. for the 366. I did not want a conversion kit; I wanted the whole press so I would not have to be changing things. I ordered my 366 and picked it up at my local gun shop a week or so later. That made two Hornady 366s, one 12 and one 16, and I also had an older Pacific 366 in 20 Ga. I think they are good machines.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile