16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cutting Shells-Photos
David
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 am  Reply with quote

I like the way Dave M cut his shells and the adjustment he made for different sizes and shells. He has more patience than I have. It seems if I can't get it motorized I put some things off.
Anyway here is a rig I made using a piece of 2"x3" and putting a slot in it to hold a box cutter. Put the dowel in my drill press chuck, luckely mine has a 3/4" capacity, and set the depth so that I cut right under the crimp. I think it works great. I do a bunch and then stop, so as not to heat up the motor too much with all the stopping and starting.
Dowel is .590 probably a 5/8" dowel (.625) and fits shell snug. Finished shells wind up to be 2.380-2.410. Uncut shells measure anywhere from 2.652-2.710.
I know you know the shells are 20 ga. but the principal is the same no matter what shell you use.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:58 am  Reply with quote

David,

Since you are cutting down 20 gauge hulls, I assume you are loading some short 20's. Care to share your load data? Are they low pressure?
I have 2 Damascus 20 gauges, with 2-1/2" chambers. Parkers of course. Wink

lovemylabs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:49 am  Reply with quote

very nice. Very Happy

David
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Dave M, I got the load from you using Unique 13.4 grs. 7/8 oz shot, Rem 209 primer, Rem RXP 20 wad 1,050 fps @7525 psi.
Hull used Remington Gun Club, same as their STS Premier.
Also that is the only one listed under Alliant Powder on their site
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

David wrote:
Dave M, I got the load from you using Unique 13.4 grs. 7/8 oz shot, Rem 209 primer, Rem RXP 20 wad 1,050 fps @7525 psi.
Hull used Remington Gun Club, same as their STS Premier.
Also that is the only one listed under Alliant Powder on their site

David,
I've been loadng this load in a 2-3/4" hull.
How does it load in the shorter hull. I never tried it.
Are you roll crimping the load, or fold crimping it?
Thanks, Dave

David
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, I haven't tried reloading any yet. I just finished trimming the shells, and I just got my 20 ga. roll crimper and overshot cards from Grafs.
I am going to roll crimp the shells, because I thinkl that what I cut off is still enough to be able to roll crimp with.
Also waiting for a new charge bar for my machine. I have a Mec 650 set up in 20 ga., and the bar was for 1 oz shot. Even though I won't be using all the stages, it will get me to where I can take them off and put the OS cards in and go from there.
I will load a few by hand and measure powder and shot and see how they turn out and will post a few pictures for you.
David
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, went to the basement and loaded two, used two machines but at least I know the powder and shot was right. Just used the 650 for the deprime and wad setting. Used about 30-35lbs wad pressure. I believe that is standard. The close ups of the shot in the shell where blurry, so I discarded them. Had close to 3/16" of hull exposed after shot card was put in. I use a dowel of the same size to get the OS card even in the hull, and then roll crimped them. I only used one OS card, and for the next ones I will use two.
The roll crimp didn't come out bad, it still needs to be broken in. I quess the inside gets smoother and gets to burnish the shells better.
Only thing now is to go shoot them, I don't see why they would be any different.

I also noticed that near the mouth of the cut hull it was slightly beveled in. (the begining of the 6 crimp) Makes putting the OS card in hard. I quess I will use the old plumb bob in the chuck to roll open the mouth a little.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

David,

From the looks of your drill press and your hull holder, you must be a machinist. Are you using the BP roll crimper? The STS hulls didn't roll crimp that nice. I much prefer a Lyman roll crimper if you can find one. They have about 6 notches in the tool for rolling the hull. I have them in 10,12, and 16 gauge, but not 20 gauge. And your correct about trying to get the O.S. card in. I ended up using a 28 gauge card. (I cheated) Wink
I'll keep playing with this load, if I find any new tricks, I'll let you know.
Dave Miles

David
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I am using the BP roll crimper. I did work as a machinist when I was younger, and a mill wright until I retired 5 1/2 years ago. (early retirement at 55). Do mostly wood working and have a 3 drill presses but this one has the largest capacity.
I keep on looking on ebay for roll crimpers and have only seen one Lyman and I believe a 12 ga.
I also roll crimp new Cheddite 16 ga. shells and they come out nice also.
I think when I get the mouth of the shell opened the 20 ga OS cards will go in better.
Yes keep me posted on your results. I might try some 2 1/2" 20's on some tame pheasants this Saturday. I will let you know how they work.