16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  shot hardness
powderburn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

One hears alot about the soft shot used in promotional loads such as the RGL. I was wondering if anyone here actually has a hardness tester and have actually compared the hardness of the shot compared to say a premium STS or AA Trap load?

David
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

If you have the new Lyman's book on shotshell reloading they give you a good example of the different types of lead. They also recommended to use hard or extra hard over soft.
woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:26 am  Reply with quote

Shooting Sportsman had an article several years ago describing the construction and use of a reliable shot hardness tester. It is easy to fabricate and the article provided the conversion tables necessary to determine the % of antimony contained in the sample.
If you are interested I can look up the date of the magazine issue and post it here. You'll need a reliable micrometer.
Ron
powderburn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reference offer but that really isn't necessary. It's not like I could get manufacturers to change their mind and use different shot anyway so ignorance is bliss. Actually I am perfectly satisfied with RGL and most of the other loads in that price range. I was really just interested to see if we had anyone that had actually verified the shot was really that much softer as there seems to be quite a lot of discussion about it in the gun press and on boards such as this.

woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

My personal experience suggests that promotional loads contain significantly 'softer' shot than do premium loads. In the case of Magnum shot (Lawrence) I have tested their smaller sized shot at 6% antimony.
Pattern board testing also appears to show improved patterns with harder shot if you consider tighter patterns as improved.
Ron
dunk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Working within the engineering field I do...I have access to instrumentation to test the surface "hardness" of various materials.

Simply put...there is a difference...even between lead shot claiming to be "magnum" shot.

Even some of the copper plated shot (some of it) is still fairly soft. I primarily hunt pheasant and load up nickel plated shot. I cannot say enough about it. While patterns are aided...I love the fact that the pellets I pull from the birds are still very round and pull far fewer feathers into the flesh.

Is this issue 'overdone'...yup. I'd still kill 99% of the birds I flush with 'normal' shot. But I'm inclined to give the good shot a couple of birds a season.