16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Browning BSS Sidelock
kb
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:33 am  Reply with quote

I know this is a 16ga forum, but Cabelas in Dundee, Michigan has one or two Browning BSS Sidelocks in 12ga that appear in really nice condition!

These Brownings were designed after the "British Game Gun" philosophy. As such they have double triggers, splinter fore-end, English straight hand stock, checkered butt, and a rose & scroll engraving pattern on a subdued silver receiver -- plus the weight is quite reasonable for a 12 bore -- 6 3/4 lbs or less. Plus, these are sidelocks! Browning did not market these fine shotguns correctly back in 1983-87 and they were eventually dropped -- not for a lack of quality mind you! The late Don Zutz wrote well about the guns and a few years back THE DOUBLE GUN JOURNAL had an article extrolling their virtues and history.

I feel they are far superior to a Citori and it was after they were discontinued that upland shooters discovered their sterling qualities. I believe the January issue of FIELD & STREAM just recently had an article about some of the best guns made and the Browning BSS Sidelock was listed among them (along with the writer's regret of not having purchased a 12 and a 20 gauge pair).
It is a shame they were never offered in 16 gauge.....
kb
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

You're right, this is a 16 ga. forum.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

I owned one of these BSS sidelocks and have also owned the regular BSS and I can tell you, there is no comparison---the sidelock is a gem in 12 ga. IC/M. Excellently balanced, double triggers, straight grip, tight wood to metal fit, fine workmanship....but they've tripled in price, and more, since the mid-80's when they first came out. I foolishly let mine get away....This may be a 16 ga. forum, but I'd rather have that sidelock in 12 or 20 gauge than about 90% of the 16 gauges ever made; it's a sweet gun.