16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  What if.....?
Equismith
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

...you took a fired 20ga wad collected from the range and cut the wad's base off, invert the base in the shotcup of the 16ga SP16, and then reload with 3/4 or 7/8 oz of shot? This rather than the puffed rice, other ideas of fillers. Or even 28ga?

Anyone done this?

Miss Libby
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not a psychologist, but I think it would mean you need to get a job! Very Happy

Too much time on your hands!

Matt
Equismith
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Not really. Several hundred wads can be picked up in a matter of minutes at the right range. A razor knife makes quick work of the wads. It's no different than using a wad cutter to get felt wads for spacers.

Next...

Miss Libby
DDawg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I have done that for about 40 years. I cut all kinds of wads up to make the load work. Back in the early '60's when plastic wads were few and far between, and I was a young teenager with a mom that would pinch a penny until the president screamed; I even picked up the WAA wads to reload. Washed them before they were used again, of course. They worked well for a thirteen year old kid. Matter of fact I think I will try doing that again just for the fun of it. Good luck.
Equismith
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I found out the base of a 28ga HS wad will work perfectly. Fits nicely in the shotcup of the SP16 with no room for shot to get by. Makes a great crimp for a 3/4oz 16ga load with the SP16, flat side of wad base on top. The cup part upwards might make the SP16 work well for a 7/8oz load.

Ready made adjustable fillers. Sounds like a winner to me.

Miss Libby
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

The main concerns with the filler are
1.Shot migration.
2.Not plugging up the drop tube.
3.Not taking too much time to use.
4.Economy--Are you saving $---Some precut fillers are expensive. Evil or Very Mad
You may be onto something here that I may try Wink Yes I have heard of some guys reusing complete wads but I am doubtful to that practice.What about gas seal and no more cushioning effect of the leg section of the wad?I use fillers to save shot for times when a light load will get me by and wholeheartedly endorse them.With the 16 about the lightest I have gone-successfully-is 3/4 oz Wink
Rockydog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:51 pm  Reply with quote

It's really too bad that nobody makes the old Lage Uniwad in 16 gauge. It was a very simple wad made in 12 and 20 gauge that consisted of a shot cup and an internal filler that was built like a 7 legged stool with the legs connected by a ring of plastic at the bottom. By adjusting wad pressure the legs of the stool collapsed in kind of a spiral form to allow for different loads. In 12 guage you could load 1 to 1 1/4 oz. with no need for fillers etc. The shot column actually extended above the wad but upon firing the filler wad collapsed and allowed the shot to set back into the cup. These wads had very pronounced ribbing on the outside and consequently had low drag and pressure. I used these for my first loads and still have a couple of bags of 12s hidden away for building 1 1/4 pheasant loads. I don't even know if you can get them anymore in any guage. RD
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting idea. I might give it a try. There are enough 28 ga shooters at some fields to possibly make it not too labor intensive to scarf up the wads. You'd still get the proper gas seal of the parent SP16 (or R16?) and the weight of the 28 ga. base may not pose pressure issues as it probably doesn't weigh much more than a couple of spacer cards.

I am shooting a 3/4 oz. load exclusively for recreational skeet in my 16 and it crushes every bird I deserve. I'm using two card spacers in an R16. Your idea would save that extra expense. I'd feel better though if this load was tested. Another point, the 28 ga. salvaged cup requires only one extra step inserting it into the "carrier" wad as opposed to two steps when I must insert two cards. It seems that possibly the 28 base takes up so much space that it would be too tall for the R16. I don't use SP16's and don't plan on starting to unless this proposed trick works as well as the R16 with cards. I'll try some on skeet and report the results.
Equismith
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:40 am  Reply with quote

grouse gunner,

I believe that could be the advantage of using the 28ga base. Cutting it from the rest of the wad, you have a cupped side and a flat side. I found the flat side up will give good crimps with my 3/4oz test load. If I decided to go with a heavier load, I'd simply have to flip the base cup side up. Instant diversity.

When I first started reloading the 28, I did pick up all the used 28ga HS wads I could. In less than 10 minutes I'd have a White Flyer box full of them. The 28ga is very popular where I shoot. Then into a mesh bag and into the washing machine they went. I reloaded some in Cheddite type hulls (RIOS) without issue. You can get a good 1oz 28ga hunting load from doing this. When Claybuster came out with the HS clone. There was no need to continue this practice. But the wads are still out there.

There was a kind user on this site that sent me 100 SP16 wads. I wanted to set up my 600 for a 3/4oz load. This 'psycho' idea has allowed me to adjust my press in loading up just four shells. The last three having great crimps. The first, after totally disassembling the press and cleaining every single piece individually after a used press purchase, was slightly dished and with a hole.

So yes, call me crazy. But filler is filler, whether you buy cards, cut your own with a punch, get into pinto beans, or recycle used 28ga wad bases.

I'm taking these to the range today to see how they do. I'll report back.

I may be a tad light with the Unique though.

Best to all,

Bud

Update...

After going to the range and shooting six of these, with six breaks from station 7 and 8 in skeet, I found the Unique WAS a tad light. I have moved it to 16gr and move the load to 7/8oz.

We'll see how these go.

Miss Libby
pumpgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a fine idea, problem is up here, all the wads are under the snow Sad
Right now, I'm using puffed rice; just drop a pinch in before pre-crimping. I'm playing around with a 5/8 oz. load using RGL hulls, and Clays. Gotta get out and see if I can actually hit stuff with it...