16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hevi-shot classic doubles
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:28 am  Reply with quote

I saw in the new cabelas catolog Hevi-shot classic double is listing a 1 oz nontoxic load for 16 gauge which is nice to see. Now the bad part 1100 fps is the published velocity which is usually optimistic. This loads sounds a little to tame for ducks and geese to me. What are your thoughts?
NV Guide
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 am  Reply with quote

If they are using shot with the same density as original Hevi-shot 1100fps will be plenty. If they subbed something about the same as Hevi-steel then forget it. We will have to see what they are doing. They are being tight lipped about the details.
gsilber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 am  Reply with quote

Found this review on it doing a Google search .... for what its worth.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/hevi-shot_classic_doubles_test.htm

PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see some testing on the 16ga load before forming an opinion but I'm not even sure I would shoot at Pheasants with that load. I was hoping for something better from Hevi-shot - especially if they're going to ask $3-4 per shell.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I just checked out the Hevi-shot home page and it has the 16ga at 1250/1oz/ #5.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:15 am  Reply with quote

I can live with that kind of load if the data is accurate.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:25 am  Reply with quote

The Classic just showed up in Cabelas Sooting catalog at $29.99 a box of ten. So the new year begins.. Cool
Ron
PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

At the National Pheasant Ferever Fest 2008 Hevi-shot had a booth with the 2008 brochure. The guy at the both was not very informed about the Classic Doubles loads. Unlike the website it now looks like the 16ga comes in two options - #4 and #6 - both 1oz loads with only 1150 fps. The Classic Doubles don't have Hevi-shot material but "something closer to Bismith" was all the guy could tell me. The price was $26.99. They are also offering .410 and 28ga shells.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:49 am  Reply with quote

The shot would have to be something less hard than steel or tungsten. Bismouth is one solution. Epoxy/powderd tungsten matrix or tungsten/polymer matrix is are a couple more. I'm certain the ammo companies are looking for more and cheaper alternatives.

I've not recommend shooting even well contained steel or tungsten pellets through an older double gun. I've seen modern steel barrel bores scarred up from a few pellets that got outside the wad of steel factory ammo. Tungsten pellets are even harder and would do a real number on a good old double gun. Just my opinion.

By the way, I think the price of lead is about to crash along with this overheated stock market. The price of metals and other commodities have been driven up by speculation and organized manipulation to ridiculous levels, just like the tech stocks were in 2000-2001. However, it has been a global phenomenon. Now the chickens are flying in to roost and the coup is gonna cave in. these are some damned heavy chickens coming home. Look out below. Wink
smashdn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:51 am  Reply with quote

It was tested in a 12 gauge loading in a past issue of Wildfowl by their ballistics guy L.P. Brezny. He stated that the pellet was brittle and actually poofed into a little cloud of dust when he pinched the pellet in some pliers.

I too was disappointed with the low velocity that was published. I looked forward to using the load not in a classic double but in a modern over under as an alternative to using Remington's slowish steel load of number 2's.

Now knowing what I do I can only hope that since they now are loading into a a 16 ga hull with 16 ga components they will offer a line with the regular hevi-shot pellet at a peppier muzzle velocity for me to whack ducks and geese with.