16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Nice shot
cvdawley
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone know if nice shot is available for reloading yet, and if so where? I dont suppose anyone knows where there is any bismuth for reloading?
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Has been for a year or so now. Too bad you missed the introductory price.

http://niceshotinc.com/
cvdawley
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

2.2lbs for 50.00!!!!!
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

cvdawley wrote:
2.2lbs for 50.00!!!!!
It started out a little cheaper than that but was still expensive. That's why I'll be using most of it in my 28 gauge. That will be $1.00 worth of shot per shell at 3/4 oz load. With loaded shells of bismuth and Hevi C/D costing in the $2.50 + range each I figure it will be worth it. The Kent T/M 16 ga shells are going for $2.80-$3.30 each so even at 1 1/16-1 1/8 oz it should still be worth it. At least with this stuff you can practice all year with an identical lead load and be dead on during the season.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

That does make it sound alittle more reasonable. Fortunetly I just picked up several boxes(25 ea) of 28ga bismuth. Charlie
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Here is the Bismuth for your loads , a 3/4 oz will be in the area of .50 this should help a bit.

Regards Charles

http://www.huntersbismuth.com/home.html
PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I sent Nice Shot an email this weekend for an update on supply (the website currently claims #4 and #5 are sold out).

Some basic data:

10.2 g/cc

1oz #4 = 135 pellets
1oz #5 = 180 pellets
1oz #6 = NA

From a 16ga perspective - according to my calc. estimates 1 shell of shot costs - 1 1/8oz = $1.60, 1oz = $1.42. Add your other component cost as necessary.

I would be interested in knowing more about Nice Shot. For example: pattern %, penetration and energy performance at 30 and 40 yards.
LiverTick
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:10 am  Reply with quote

I'm also very interested in Niceshot -- especially as RST appears to be loading it. What is its relative hardness compared to lead, bismuth, TM, Hevi-shot, etc.?
shootnfowl
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

LiverTick wrote:
I'm also very interested in Niceshot -- especially as RST appears to be loading it. What is its relative hardness compared to lead, bismuth, TM, Hevi-shot, etc.?

I have used Nice Shot, loaded in 12ga 1 1/8oz low pressure and it seems to work very well on ducks. It is softer than Hevi-shot for sure. Have not compared the rest. I can squeeze a pellet with a pair of pliers no problem. Probably comparable to the softness of lead.

I have also loaded in low pressure 2 7/8" 10ga 1 1/8oz for geese with great results.

Kurt
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

where did you get the data for 2 7/8" 10ga load? I am looking for a good duck load for my 10's. Doesn't have to be low pressure, just hard to find non-toxic loads in the short 10.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:27 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Hootch"]where did you get the data for 2 7/8" 10ga load? I am looking for a good duck load for my 10's. Doesn't have to be low pressure, just hard to find non-toxic loads in the short 10.[/quote]

sorry to barge in here, but.....I know for certain that BP's "The Mighty 10 Gauge" Rev. 5 copyrighted 1996 is chock full of lead recipes for the 10 including some tasty cut back 2 7/8" beauties. You may want to ask BP if the new "TM10G" has retained the old lead loads that may be pertinant again with the advent of Niceshot reportedly being able to be loaded 1:1 for lead. Good luck, Mike

RWG
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Guys, keep it simple. From a pressure and velocity standpoint, it matters not what type of shot you load, but how much by weight. 1 oz is 1 oz. Bismuth, lead, nice shot, and tungsten matrix. So take your favorite recipes and have at it. If you decide to buffer your loads, especially bismuth, then you can expect pressures to rise. Its more than the extra ejecta, but I don't know why buffering the load adds to the pressures the base recipe produces.

If you need 2 7/8" 10 ga. recipes, look to Sherman Bell's finding out for myself articles in DGJ. Everything you'll need is there for lead/bismuth. Just substitute an equal weight of Nice shot.