16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bald Eagles and Rural King (big shell purchase)
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Went to shoot skeet at Town and Country in Maryville IL this morning with plans to drive up the Mississippi River in the afternoon to look for the Bald Eagles that congregate in this area between Jan. and March.

Arrived at the gun club in 5 degree Shocked weather and found a couple of shooters in the clubhouse - after drinking several cups of coffee by consensus we adjourned to warmer clines (for me the home office).

The Boss got home from hair appointment and shopping about 10:30 and we ate lunch and headed up the river. Just outside of Alton IL we spotted 2 eagles and by the time we arrived at the Visitors Center at Pere Marquette we had seen 6 eagles and more geese and mallards than we could count. After a pit stop we headed over to Litchfield IL to the Rural King for the 20% bag sale (fill a paper grocery sack and everything inside is 20% off).

In Rural King I found that they had remington game loads in 16 gauge (1 oz 8s) for $5.99 and Estate 20 gauge 7/8 oz 7.5s for $4.99. I FILLED my sack and with the 20% off I got 2 cases of the RGL 16s for $47.92/case each and 2.5 cases of the Estate 20s for $39.99/case - sweet Very Happy

a good time was had by all Exclamation

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet Bill-but what did the Boss get to put in the bag? Wink
Did we get a report about your second Russell trip?
BTW: finally got your empties about ready to mail Rolling Eyes

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

revdocDrew:

The Boss got 4 extra boxes in the bag - I'm not smart enough at rubick's cubes Exclamation

No Russell report yet, but a fantastic second trip. Lots of work deadlines at the moment - should be able to get one out late this week.

I'm still trying to convince the Boss to go to Tucson with me for the sxs shoot. I have a room at the mom-in-laws Shocked for me if I do come, but I am traveling about 6 times between now and May 10th and am not sure I can swing the Tucson trip. If I come, I will fill up some more reloads for you Exclamation How are you liking them Question

Some progress on the sterlyworth project - stay tuned for details.

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

What's not to like? Laughing
Keep an eye on this Forum-I'm going to post the Doubles in the Desert announcement tomorrow. Oh well-I'll just go ahead and put it up Cool

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

BC--You didn't shoot and the temp was still above 0?Where's the dedication to the sport Twisted Evil Wind chill be damned too Shocked It was much warmer at the gunshow today-temp here was 4 degrees when we left.Plan on shooting during the heatwave tommorow afternoon-high of 21.Then it's off to North Carolina
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Good grab on the shells, bc.

It's all of 7 degrees here today and windy, and I couldn't gun. Mad

Called the game farm that I go to after the public season closes and asked if they could take a walk-in. Nope ... they only had a couple hunters on the sked, and they called them off and didn't open at all today. Then I called our skeet club manager, and he said there were all of two guys there, and neither had uncased his gun!

I have a day off, warm clothes, gas in the truck, coffee in the thermos, shells and guns. I want to shoot! (He says, stamping his wittle feets.) Life could be worse, but I wanted to shoot. Crying or Very sad

Somebody hold me! Laughing
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

MGF:

Solved the problem of pulling skeet by myself with one of these:

http://www.claydelay.com/welcome.html

best thing I ever did Very Happy Very Happy .

If no one shows up at the club I get my voice call out and shoot away. Mine has standard skeet, on-report doubles, and up to 3 second delay or some combo of the above.

Tomorrow (MLK) if no one shows up in the morning at the club, I will put mine to use. Wink

Oh, and if any of you buy one of these and mention my name I get a $10 check for referring you. thanks.

Dr. 16 Gauge
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:54 am  Reply with quote

bustingclays, That's a nice little rig, but I'm saving my bucks. Put the Dewings Limited Prestige on the plastic, and I want to have that paid for by the time it actually arrives. Wink

It's a balmy 23 here today. I think guys will show up for our Monday night 5-stand league, so there I'll be...with a 16, of course!