16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Doubles in the Desert Announcement
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

INVITATION IS EXTENDED by the Arizona Regiment of ‘Roosevelt’s Rough Shooters’ to join us for the First Doubles in the Desert Classic Side-by-Side Shoot, for the benefit of The Theodore Roosevelt Association, Sat. March 1, 2008, hosted by the Tucson Trap & Skeet Club.

The shoot program and directions to the club may be viewed at
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=18602086

The Tucson Trap & Skeet Club is an excellent venue with more than 250 RV hookups, a full service restaurant serving breakfast and lunch, and experience hosting major event including the Spring Grand with almost 1500 participants. Participants will purchase targets, as few or many as they wish, at $7 per 25, and head to the disciplines they wish to shoot. The club opens at 8:30 and shooting begins at 9:00.
Please check the club website for information regarding the facilities, or call the club manager, Laura, on Weds, Sat. or Sun. mornings at 520-883-6426 with questions.
http://www.tucsontrapandskeet.com/

This is a FUN SHOOT without a registration fee, prizes, or awards. Recognition will be made of the High Shooter in each event ONLY to those using SxS guns, but anyone, using any gun, is most welcome to join us.

TARGETS AWARDED (for each round in each event):
1 target for using pre-WW II SxS or SBT guns manufactured by American makers (Parker, L.C. Smith, Ithaca, Baker, Lefever, etc.)
1 target for using a SxS with Damascus barrels (pre-WW I)
1 target for period appropriate (pre-WW II) American hunting
or shooting attire (picture courtesy of Chris Lien)

Lady shooters are most welcome and will be awarded 2 targets for period appropriate dress.

No targets awarded for the Theodore Roosevelt Fox – Ithaca – LC Smith Challenge. High gun for 50 targets of ‘Hunter’s Skeet’ using one of TR’s SxSs.

We want this to be a time of fun and doublegun fellowship, and in order to reserve an adequate number of fields, it is important that we have an idea of the number of participants. Thanks to all who have already notified me of their intention to join us, and to those who have volunteered to help host the event. If you have not already done so, PLEASE PM or e-mail me at revdoc2@cox.net this week and indicate your plan to come, and the number of new shooters who will accompany you

It is our hope that this shoot will honor the spirit and vision of Theodore Roosevelt, and donations will be accepted for the benefit of The Theodore Roosevelt Association http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/index.htm
Checks should be written to The Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Cash donations will be appreciated to cover shoot expenses and lunch for the pullers.
As a service to all those making donations, I’ll have a chamber length gauge and a 12/16 micrometer bore and choke gauge available, for clean barrels and chambers only.

Looking forward to meeting lots of ‘imaginary internet friends’ and may each of us finish the day with a big TR smile!

carpe dm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be there, if health and weather permit! Very Happy

MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Pheasant season and shell/gun buying have left me short on both vacation days and cash, but I wish you guys a great day. Smile
XVI'er
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite! Sounds like fun. I hope I can make it, but I have to save my coin for the Flatwater in April.

I once played a TR doppleganger, Teddy Brewster, in my highschool play- Arsenic and Old Lace. It might be great fun to dress in period clothes.

Baden Powell, this ought to be right up your alley! Wink Laughing Laughing

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:45 am  Reply with quote

I've seen this SEP picture a number of times and, the fellow with the dog has always looked darned familiar to me. I just realized he's the spitting image of actor Sam Eliott.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:03 am  Reply with quote

With short hair-maybe.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Hope to meet lots of 'imaginary internet friends' next Sat. at the shoot in Tucson Laughing We've had excellent rains in the desert this winter, so it's fixin' to be an incredible wild flower spring. The desert is green, the cottonwoods along the Agua Fria are budding, and the brittle bush are just starting to show their yellow flowers Cool
Not spring yet up north at 4,500 feet where I took the brain damaged setter dog for some work this am

and too hazy to see the snow on the peaks toward Camp Verde

Still plenty of bird scent around

About 50 so carried the squirt bottle

The grass is just starting to green up- and that's one happy bird dog Cool

Please feel free to e-mail revdoc2@cox.net with any questions about the shoot and hope to see you there!

gfreire
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

I'm hoping that the spring rains cooperate with the bird production, I hope to hunt down there this year. Smile
b.randzin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:56 am  Reply with quote

I cant make it but will pursue TR membership and check out the club. My other home so to speak is Rural Catalina just north of Tucson where i have lived, worked and played. Spent a month there this past year and have friends and relatives there year round. I also have read numerous books written by TR and admire the man.

Bruce
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

MANY heartfelt thanks are in order for a great shoot:
1. First to The Diety for the beautiful day we had in Southern Arizona (it would however be official Paradise Season Wink )
2. To the Tucson Trap & Skeet Club, and members Lon Berg, Greg Franklin, and Jerry Haack, for hosting the event and their gracious welcome.
3. To Jim Z. for volunteering to supervise the 2 Man Pheasant Pflush.
4. To Bill Hardy for his generous contribution to the Theodore Roosevelt Association, and the donations by the participants to off-set the shoot expenses.
5. To David Moore of William Larkin Moore for donating THREE CASES of 2 1/2" low pressure loads.
We may need to name next year's get together 'The 16g LC Smith Memorial Doubles in the Desert' shoot, since we had 3 in attendance Cool Phil Carr had a neat No. 3 LC Smith trap gun with vent. rib, HOT, and BTFE choked .045 in both barrels and an 11g Parker hammer lifter, Ross Berck brought a son, a J grade Fox SBT, and a Lefever from Neb., and Jerry Lape had lots of stuff including his Parker and a knockout piece of walnut Shocked
And especially, thanks to all the participants. Pics of a few are up on the PictureTrail album
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=18602086
TR would have enjoyed himself, and I hope to see even more of you next year!

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

Great looking group. Thanks for organizing and posting Drew. I will try to increase the elsie and sterly contingent next year.

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:25 am  Reply with quote

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All,
Is there are proposed date for next year? I have a nice Baker Paragon Grade with Single Trigger and Ejectors, I have equipped it with 20 gauge Briley tubes, Would this be an acceptable shotgun to use? Or Should I bring a Trap Grade L. C. Smith with factory 26 inch barrels and ivory beads? How about a 16 gauge, J. C. Higgins AYA, Model 100?
What all kinds of guns were used?

Thanks, Mike
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:20 am  Reply with quote

You'd fit right in Mike Very Happy and the older the better.
Should be about the same time next year. We want to catch the Snow Bird, Spring Training, and Paradise Golf crowd that visits Phoenix and Tucson in Feb. and March.