16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hulls
cvdawley
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Is there a difference between an STS Premier and what they call a Remingtion unibody in the loading manuels? Same hull or different, reguiring different data?
dunk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:09 am  Reply with quote

In the past great pains were taken throughout various literature to be sure the reloader DID NOT use data that wasn't specific to the Remington unibody hull. Hell...even Ballistic Products warns of this substitution. Considering that most on this site believe BP data to be the devil's work...that's pretty strong testimony.

Pressures ran about 30%+ higher in the unibody compaired to other 'premium' target hulls.

I don't see that as much anymore...but I'd still stick to that...and I've never been one to take substitutions too seriously.

I'd not do it....perhaps with lighter, target offerings the substitution might not realize "bad" things...but with hevier, hunting loads I'm staying clear.

Last edited by dunk on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
David
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Just went over this topic about B&P hulls. In Lyman's 5 th Edition the Remington STS, Premier, Nitro Gold, and even their Game Loads are all compatable to load with the same data given. The STS, Premier, and Nitro are made the way the old Winchester AA were made, compression formed. now the AA is really a 2 pc. hull.
As far as what will work with the R12L now, I don't know, but like stated sometimes you could build up a lot of excess pressure. I would also contact the powder manufacture and ask them.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. As I mentioned in a prior thread I am getting back into reloading after a # of years and am having to relearn. I probably should have asked " what is a unibody?" hull. I am reloading for 16,20 and 28ga.
Bill Layman
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

I would take some of Alliant's data with a grain of salt. They have been printing the same data for the "Remington-Peters Unibody SP Plastic Shells" since at least 1992. These are the same people who are still publishing 16 gauge loads in their current reloading data utilizing WAA16 wads and 16 gauge Winchester CF cases. I would tend to believe Hodgdon, Accurate, and Lyman regarding the interchangability of the current 12 gauge Remington/Peters STS, Nitro 27, Gun Club, Sport Load, and even the black Game Load compression formed hulls. I just compared the capacity of a variety of hulls (STS - Gun Club - Black) and they were all within 3 grains of water.

Bill Layman
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Forum members on shotgunworld.com have no doubt loaded untold thousands of game load and gun club hulls with STS data.

If you are still in doubt e-mail Alliant.

Be warned that some shotgunworld.com forum members and I believe 16gaguy here have ran across some Remington Game Load hulls that were either Cheddite or a Cheddite clone. These would require different data.