16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wonder of Wonders....New 16 gage ammo from Fiocchi
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Received a 2008 Fiocchi catalog and about fell off the couch while reading it. On page 35 it lists a NEW 16VIP load with 1 ounce of shot at 1300 fps with "5% Magnum Lead Shot". Shot sizes 7.5/8.

I wish the velocity were 1200-1250 fps but I was surprised to see a new 16 anything!

BTW, for those who still shoot 12s Fiocchi is also listing three new 1 1/16 ounce 12 gage target loads.

clay
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Isn't the 16 bore more popular in Europe than the US? Perhaps Fiocchi is catering to those 16 owners on the continent? Then we get what's left over.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Too bad its not a 3/4 or 7/8 ounce load for fun shooting. Screw the VIP stuff shirts. What about us Joe Bluejeans types. We are the ammo companies' bread and butter.
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:50 am  Reply with quote

I was just as surprised to see any new 16 gauge ammo at all. I was looking on the internet and came up with an advertisement from Brenneke. "New" classic magnum 16 ga shotgun slug, one ounce at 1580 fps. Check it out at www.brennekeusa.com. Maybe the 16 is making a come back. The first step is more guns and the next is more ammunition.
dunk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Wow...that might make a very interesting "first" shot for pheasants.

I shoot mostly relaods. However, do use B&P F2 classics (#6's) as well. Great shell IMO.

I don't shoot 7.5 as a rule...don't find them 'snotty' enough for most conditions I hunt pheasants. However...at 1300 fps I might try them.

The only trouble is that I've never been thrilled by Fioochi shells. I've purchased their new hulls from BP by the thousands. One day I gave in to an urge to buy a box of Fioochi's 'Golden Pheasant' 16 ga. shells.

They patterned OK...but the recoil seems very light for the velocity they touted. Pheasants didn't seem to fall nearly as solid and the dog worked a bit of overtime. I went back to my 'reglar' shells and all was again right. I gave the rest of the box to a buddy who is also a 16 fan. He shot several shells and also gave them the boot. The remainder of this box now gathers dust in his basement...has for about 4 seasons.

We'll see.
Scolari
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:31 am  Reply with quote

clayflingythingy wrote:
Received a 2008 Fiocchi catalog and about fell off the couch while reading it. On page 35 it lists a NEW 16VIP load with 1 ounce of shot at 1300 fps with "5% Magnum Lead Shot". Shot sizes 7.5/8.

I wish the velocity were 1200-1250 fps but I was surprised to see a new 16 anything!

BTW, for those who still shoot 12s Fiocchi is also listing three new 1 1/16 ounce 12 gage target loads.

clay

You mentioned getting a new Fiocchi catalog in the mail. How did you get one. I had a 2006 and threw it away thinking I would get a 2008 but can't see how to get one. I'm not sure how I got the 2006 one.I looked at their web site at the 2008 on line version but didn't see the 16 ga load you mentioned. I also did not see a way to request a catalog by mail. I use their shooting dynamics pistol ammo and find the catalog handy. I ususally order from Graffs. Let meknow how you got hard copy of their catalog.
old16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:54 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Scolari"]I was just as surprised to see any new 16 gauge ammo at all. I was looking on the internet and came up with an advertisement from Brenneke. "New" classic magnum 16 ga shotgun slug, one ounce at 1580 fps. Check it out at www.brennekeusa.com. Maybe the 16 is making a come back. The first step is more guns and the next is more ammunition.[/quote

I still have several 5 packs of 16ga slugs from Brenneke from about 30 yrs ago. Bill

cvdawley
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Dunk: I am surprised to hear your feedback regarding 16ga golden pheasants. I used them in North Dakoata last year and found them to be very effectice pheasant medicine,
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:53 am  Reply with quote

http://www.fiocchiusa.com/Contacts.html

In the past I have called or e-mailed sales for paper catalog IIRC. I like Fiochhi centerfire ammo too. I am a big fan of their handgun ammo line. I have shot very litlle of their shotgun stuff.
steve voss
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:39 am  Reply with quote

Count me amongst those who have junked a box or two of Golden Pheasants in 16 ga. I just can't get them to pattern well enough to have any confidence in them. Hincker's "Dolph"* load on the other hand.......

sv

* Listed on the loading spreadsheet under Fiocchi hulls as "Scott's Pheasant Slayer"
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:42 am  Reply with quote

sv

* Listed on the loading spreadsheet under Fiocchi hulls as "Scott's Pheasant Slayer"[/quote]

Steve - I am new to this website. Where might I find the loading spreadsheet? I use Fiocchi hulls for my reloading and am looking for a pheasant load in 16 ga.

Keith Rich
steve voss
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Keith,

I am referencing the data provided by the low pressure reloading group. Contact Russ Gray (RWG) for membership details. It's worth it.

sv
robp
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:02 am  Reply with quote

dunk
Sounds like we hunt the same birds If you don't like the golden phesants what do you like? what is your pet 16 gauge reload?