16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  2 1/2 Cheddite's from Graf
Augustus McRae
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

After reading several of the archived posts regarding Cheddite hulls I am wondering if the hulls sold by Graf's are of the "better" variety. Some of what I've read says that all Cheddites aren't created equal. I've also thought of Fiocchi's but I understand the primers are larger than the US made 209's. I'm looking to load 1 oz. of shot around 1200-1250 fps in an A-5. I recently join the Low Pressure Group and will use that data, but I'm just not sure which hull to go with. Is there any way to buy new Federal hulls? Tijeras Slim, thanks for the info you sent! How have you progressed on your experiments?

Regards, Augustus
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:42 am  Reply with quote

If your going to load 1 oz. in the 2-1/2" hull, you should use the Ballistic Products, Z-16 trap commander wad. It's kinda hard to fit 1 oz. in this hull with the SG-16 wad, unless you roll crimp. Just my opinion. Oh, I buy these hulls by the 1000. I think they are a very good hull. Not an STS, but about as good as we are going to get. Wink

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Grafs sells two Gualandi wads the 1621 which is also sold as the SG16 and the 1618 which was known as he Active G28. They are pretty close to the same dimensions except that the 1621 has "fingers" that cause it to sit higher on the powder charge and therefore works best as a 1 ounce wad without filler in a standard 2 3/4 inch case. The 1618 is designed as a 1 1/8th ounce wad and will allow you to load 1 ounce of shot with a folded crimp with the 2 1/2 hull.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Grafs sells two Gualandi wads the 1621 which is also sold as the SG16 and the 1618 which was known as he Active G28. They are pretty close to the same dimensions except that the 1621 has "fingers" that cause it to sit higher on the powder charge and therefore works best as a 1 ounce wad without filler in a standard 2 3/4 inch case. The 1618 is designed as a 1 1/8th ounce wad and will allow you to load 1 ounce of shot with a folded crimp with the 2 1/2 hull.

Do you know if Graf's 1618/Active G28, is the same as BP's Trap Commander. I emailed Graf about this, but never got an answer.
Thanks, Dave

birddog
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
The trap commander from Ballistic Products is actually the B&P out of Italy. Hell I can't say teh name let alone spell it. I cheated and looked in teh cartridge section, it is Baschieri & Pellagri.
Charlie
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Birddog,

Boy, I don't know.
It looks allot like the Gualandi wad 1621 which is also sold as the SG16 wad, except it doesn't have the prongs in the bottom of the cup, next to the powder. Therefore, it sits lower in the hull, allowing you to load 1 oz. in the 2-1/2" hull. I just loaded two different loads, and sent them to Tom for testing.

Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have used a ton of Cheddites purchase from Graf's in making lowpressure 7/8oz loads for the old doubles. Work great in the M12 also Smile Some of the hulls are on their 10th reload. The Gualandi 1621's give me a factory crimp with no filler with 7/8oz #8's
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

This is the Trap Commander wad:

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=020Z16

It is distinctly different from the Gualandi 1618 which has a crush section identical to the SG16/Gualandi 1621.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
This is the Trap Commander wad:

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=020Z16

It is distinctly different from the Gualandi 1618 which has a crush section identical to the SG16/Gualandi 1621.

I know what the Trap Commander looks like.
I have not been able to find a picture of the Gualandi 1618.
Graf's does not show them.
Thanks for the help.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

Dave there is a very good photo which shows the base of both wads on the 16 Gauge Loaders Group site. It is posted in the photo section. The only difference between the two wads is that the 1621 has multiple small round "fingers" protruding from the base and the 1618 has fewer larger protrusions that remind me of cleats on a baseball shoe. The cleats allow the wad to sit deeper on the powder charge allowing more space in the hull for the additional shot.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel,

I got it figured out. I don't want the Gulandi wad.
The wad I want is the Baschieri & Pellagri Z-16, which is the Ballistic Prod. Trap Commander. I just don't want to pay Ball. Prod. price.

Any idea where I can buy these wads besides Ballistic Prod.
This is the same wad that RST and Polywad use.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:48 am  Reply with quote

I'm not much help.

Midway sells them for $8.00/250 plus shipping but they are out of stock.

If it will help here is a link to B&Ps US Distributers: http://www.bandpusa.com/distributors.html
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Dave

Precision Reloading www.precisionreloading.com has a 16 ga. wad made by B&P. $7.95 for 250 but their shipping rates looks to be as bad as BP's.

Rick

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Augustus McRae
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

So I guess the only way to get Federal hulls is to scrounge them or buy loaded ammo?

Regards, Augustus
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Augustus McRae wrote:
So I guess the only way to get Federal hulls is to scrounge them or buy loaded ammo?

Regards, Augustus

You can always watch the obituaries looking to find some widow who's dearly departed had a stash in the garage or basement.