16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Over shot card-- Under shot wad
Camoman
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

I am having tougle getting the finshed crimp on my fio hulls to not cave into the shot and collapsing. I have 0 adjustment on the press. Will a under shot wad or over shot card make the difference in pressures? (new fio hulls, 22.5gr longshot, SP 16, 1 1/8oz lead. Any suggestions?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Camoman wrote:
I am having tougle getting the finshed crimp on my fio hulls to not cave into the shot and collapsing. I have 0 adjustment on the press. Will a under shot wad or over shot card make the difference in pressures? (new fio hulls, 22.5gr longshot, SP 16, 1 1/8oz lead. Any suggestions?

You could go to a bulkier powder, that will raise the wad up a little.
Or do either of the things you suggested. I would use a 28 gauge overshot wad, and put it in the bottom of the shot cup of the wad.
Any time you add weight, you raise pressure. However, the OSC is very minimal.

Camoman
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

I am already a the lowest pressures Lyman publishes. I do not belive that this would push pressures even into the high 8000s psi but I thought I would ask the question any way. Unfortunately my only option is to order and wait for UPS. Just another day in the life. Thanks for the help.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

you actually have another option. Try using an R16 one ounce wad. It has the exact same OAL as an SP16 and will perform exactly the same pressurewise. The R16 shotcup is 1/8 inch less deep, so the top of the shot column will be 1/8th inch closer to the crimp folds. If you need more fill than this, I'd look for a bulkier powder or go to one of the Cheddite/Gualandi wads. You can also use 1 28 gauge 1/8" thick card wad in the bottom of the SP16 cup if you can't get some R16 wads. However, there are a bunch available now. some of the folks here might sell you some if you ask.
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 am  Reply with quote

One thing you could try while you are waiting for the wads is to put a pinto bean in the bottom of the shotcup. That is what I do to get better crimps with light loads. The other thing I use is puffed wheat on top of the shot, it works pretty well also.
Camoman
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Until I get the wads I am trying heavy card stock dots that I can punch and count the number needed. I also ordered BPs spreader Xs to see how much space they take up. The 28 ga nitro card is a good idea but the shipping is almost twice the cost of the cards themselves so having a larger order and another option, I thought, was a good idea.
Thanks for the tips. I knew this project would take away the winter bordom.
Rockydog
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

Camo, You might try punching filler cards from the foam meat trays that you get raw meat on at the store. Just discard the absorbsion pad before rinsing the tray for storage. Other wise beware of the wrath of the queen of the house. Spoiling meat odors from the reloading room while you are out of town on business do not a happy wife make. RD
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Yup, wash them first. Also, good substitute for a 28 ga card wad is the same 1/8 inch thick nitro card in .50 caliber. If you have a shop that caters to black powder shooters, you can buy a few hundred Circle Fly BP wads for far less money than 28 ga card wads. Don't ask me why. However, you can also order them in 5K bulk packs direct from Circle Fly very cheaply including very cheap shipping. Contact Circle fly. They are on the web. They are far, far cheaper to deal with than any other outlet--especially the two shotgun reloading specialty houses. Those folks buy from Circle Fly and charge you a huge mark up.
Buckeyechuck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

I have been using a single cherrios cereal under with success, also on top as a spreader. However, they usually crush somewhat into the shot so they don't stay perfectly intact. Works fine for me for about a yr.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

I use BPI's overshot cards which produce perfect crimps for my loads.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:20 am  Reply with quote

I forgot to address your main concern about pressures. Any wad that adds to the extrernal demensions of the wad column will add resistance, however slight the addition is. However, that slight change is almost never enough to significantly change pressures overall. Adding significant weight to the mass of the ejecta definately will add resistance and will increase pressures. An external card wad or a few grains of cereal will not add significant weight though.

Card wads fitted into the bottom of a shot cup will not affect pressures at all if the wad simply adjusts shot column height and does not change the basic density of the load. In the case of the Sp16 wad, you will not see any difference. This is true because you are not significantly changiing the external dimensions of the wad column or adding significant weight. Putting a card wad into the bottom of the shot cup is the least intrusive way of adjusting the column height for better crimps. It is technique I generally prefer.
Camoman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you all very much. I knew that a little common sense would prevail in the end. In the time since I last posted I have tried several of these options and one that I came up with. All with good results. Now I have to wait for the snow to melt so I can get out and pattern a few. It is snowing again today adding to the 5 feet I already have in the yard. Spring is coming!!!! Thanks to all.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:51 am  Reply with quote

[quote= Spring is coming!!!! [/quote]

NOT FAST ENOUGH !! Wink

rizzini 16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 am  Reply with quote

We 've had about 90 inches of snow this year, upstate twice that I hear.
However, every Sunday morning you will hear "Pull" at our local clubs and clays fly. They must be broken. We don't care if it's cold. Held our Club Championship at 5 degrees, with a 30knot wind, just for laughs.
This is the nature of the Maine shotgunner.
"Honey, please don't buy another gun...."
Rizzy

Camoman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Just to let it bee known how I solved the problem. I found a used 1/2" arch punch and punched heavy card stock buttons. Three in the bottom of the wad works great and weighe less than 3 grains. P.S. 4" new snow Sat and Sun, -1 deg this AM Sad