16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Your Take On High Velocity Loads
gjw
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, I know that this subject has been covered on several different forums, but lets look at this from a 16ga perspective.

What is your take on the effectivness of H.V. loads (1250fps and over)?

I myself see no need for such "Hot" loads when it comes to upland hunting (and yes I do mean pheasants). I think that several others are correct in stating that down range the hot loads are no more effective than standard loads, especially when lager shot is added in. I personally think that 1 oz of #5 shot will do the trick on birds out to 40yds. The retained energy of the larger shot should have enough "power" to take a bird out if the hit is a solid one. As some have said the 1 oz load is the square load for a 16, this I think is correct.

So what say you? Am I full of.....well you know what? Lets here your opinions. BTW, I do use GP 1 1/8oz @ 1310fps, but they do have a stout recoil.

All the best and thanks!!

Greg
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hi gjw,
I once made the same statement about the square load and many fine math teachers and academic types pointed out my error. This was on another board where nits are picked regularly. Reguardless of square it is a fine load. I load everything at or about 1250fps. When I do my part birds fall pretty dead. The TM and Bizmuth loads I have purchased and used are 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz. and they hit hard on both ends. My 16s' are Berettas and they weight about 6.5 lbs. They are modern enough and the wood is strong enough that I get away with the heavier hunting loads. The only thing I have noticed on the pattern board is an oz. of #5 shot through a skt barrel at 40yd. is sparse on shot density. It seems a tighter choke shuch as Mod+ or - a little does better with less holes. I guess the high speed will not be loaded my me in the near future.
Best,
Ron
steve voss
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:36 am  Reply with quote

I too stick to loads around 1200-1220. I don't notice any difference in killing power from the faster loads except on the back (recoil) end. You can get much more retained energy downrange by going up a size in shot than you can by adding 100 fps to your shell.

sv
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 am  Reply with quote

High shotshell velocities are today's current "hype". 1250fps will do anything you want to do period... But then, the mind is a funny thing!!

One should remember, shot is about one notch more aerodynamic that a feather...... And if it were possible to "launch" a feather from your pillow even at 4000fps it would be lucky to reach your bedroom door!

Slidehammer
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

A 2 1/2 dram equivalent (1135/1165 fps) has been adequate for everything I shoot for over half a century now.
Ron
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

woodcock wrote:
A 2 1/2 dram equivalent (1135/1165 fps) has been adequate for everything I shoot for over half a century now.
Ron

I couldn't agree more. Just about everything I reload is in the 1150 FPS range.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All :

Now Greg you must have known I would have to jump in here !

16GA. 3/4 OZ 7 1/2 Shot @ 1410 FPS bagged the birds shown , I for one will continue to use these loads , the pictures kinda lend credibility tward's the effectiveness of these loads , wouldn't you think ????

Come go hunting with me sometime all are welcome .

Regards Charles

gjw
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Charles, wonderful photo gallery!! If it works for you as they say stick with it!! Again, wonderful pics!!!

All the best!!

Greg
Dads A-5
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

I like the 1150 to 1200 FPS loads foe tragets and game.

I have only been loading and shooting for 25 years though. Confused
HIGH$TRAP
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:23 am  Reply with quote

FWIW, But also my observation. Mash the link below to learn what a square load is.

http://www.sidebysideshotgun.com/articles/balance_loads_article.html

Not saying heavy loads don't have their place, but most of us don't need em for most bird hunting. And if we really do, why not just step up a gauge for less strain on the gun and shoulder? Just my 2c. Bob
powderburn
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:29 am  Reply with quote

I have only found one reason that I can see where they are beneficial when shooting my shotguns at my usual targets. My 12 ga. 1100 is really designed to shoot 1 1/8 oz target loads. I find that the lighter 7/8 & 1 oz loads cycle just fine when they are loaded at a snappy 1250 fps while some of the slower loads don't seem to give as positive results. Other than this at the short range of most shotgun targets then 1150fps will do the trick as far as dropping birds like dove ,quail and sm game. Just my .02

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:41 am  Reply with quote

H $ T

Great artical perhaps folks are starting to be placed on a learning curve after all.

Regards Charles
booneh
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

1165 - 1200 for targets and small or lightly built birds. 1220 - 1250 for larger or tougher birds. too many cripples with low velocity on pheasants,chuckers or sage grouse.

booneh
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Charles: Your success is hard to argue with! However, I like to shoot older SXS's and don't want to fight the high pressure 1300 fps loads generate. Therefore, 1150 - 1200 fps works for me!

Matt
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Ah no problem Matt soon I will have a load that has 1350-1400 fps and a pressure of 7000-8000 psi just for those old guns .

Regards Charles