16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Short Kit
gjw
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all does anyone have a short kit for a Mec 600jr they want to get rid of?

I'm interested in one to start to reload 2 1/2" 16ga loads.

Thanks so much!

All the best!

Greg
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't buy a short kit for my mec 600 jr. I just cut a piece of 1/4" plywood and put it under the steel frame that holds the shells. I think it was Dave M. that told me about that.

Ben
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Sure a chunk of Alum , Plywood , or plastic that is .250 thick will work very well just lift up the lower plate and place it under the plate and off you go , I will post a pic if you dont understand what the cut out looks like . Let me know .

Regards Charles
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

You can also just shim up your existing plate with some washers in about 3 different places. As long as there's no wiggle in the plate, it should work.
About two 1/4" flat washers in each spot should do it. Wink

cvdawley
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have sizemasters, I assume this will work for this model as well? I am not sure I understand were the washers or plate goes. When I look at my reloader I see a plate that holds the shell for the intial and final crimp. Areyou suggesting that the plate/washers are to go under this thin metal plate? Given a purchased kit is $40 it would be nice to see this work. Any help would be appreciated.
Rockydog
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

CV, If it's like the 600JR just remove the screw that holds the plate on and pry up the large spring on the main post with a screw driver. The crimp shell holder should slide right off. Using a piece of index card trace the pattern either from the base of the loader or the crimp shellholder or a combination of both. Transfer the pattern to a .250 inch thick piece of plastic, aluminum or masonite depending upon your intentions for use. Obviously the more you use it the more durable you'll want it. Cut out the piece. Drill a hole in the appropriate spot for the screw. slide the crimp shellholder on the new piece, pry the spring up again and slide the whole works under the spring. Install a bit longer screw if needed and start crimping 2.5" shells. RD
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:48 am  Reply with quote

Thanks RD, that was helpful.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:48 am  Reply with quote

cvdawley wrote:
I have sizemasters, I assume this will work for this model as well? I am not sure I understand were the washers or plate goes. When I look at my reloader I see a plate that holds the shell for the intial and final crimp. Areyou suggesting that the plate/washers are to go under this thin metal plate? Given a purchased kit is $40 it would be nice to see this work. Any help would be appreciated.

My Mistake, I was thinking of something different. Your base is one solid piece, you can't put washers under the plate.
Go to MEC site:
http://www.mecreloaders.com/productline/AccessoryReloading.asp

Scroll down to the short kit, it shows a picture. Should help explain.
Sorry for the confussion. Confused

Popski
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Guys

The correct amount to shim the loader is NOT 1/4", although that will work, but 3/16". You don't make 2 1/2" loads, you make 2 9/16" (65mm) loads. The difference from 2 3/4" current SAAMI standards is 3/16". Your older American and a lot of European 16's are chambered for 2 9/16" not 2 1/2". That is also the dimension you should be cutting your new hulls down to. I cut mine down to 2.555" + or - 0.005" as the hulls expand 0.005" to 0.008" in length when fired and this is also what the factory does - a touch shorter than the nominal chamber dimension; in this case 2.5625". Why handicap yourself - you can use all the length you can get for components and an excellant crimp.

Having said that, my refurbished MEC 600 Jr. loads short shells (2 9/16", 65mm) without any shimming, there being enough adjustment in the individual stations to accomodate the required activity. This is no big deal.

P

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Popski wrote:
Guys

The correct amount to shim the loader is NOT 1/4", although that will work, but 3/16". You don't make 2 1/2" loads, you make 2 9/16" (65mm) loads. The difference from 2 3/4" current SAAMI standards is 3/16". Your older American and a lot of European 16's are chambered for 2 9/16" not 2 1/2". That is also the dimension you should be cutting your new hulls down to. I cut mine down to 2.555" + or - 0.005" as the hulls expand 0.005" to 0.008" in length when fired and this is also what the factory does - a touch shorter than the nominal chamber dimension; in this case 2.5625". Why handicap yourself - you can use all the length you can get for components and an excellant crimp.

Having said that, my refurbished MEC 600 Jr. loads short shells (2 9/16", 65mm) without any shimming, there being enough adjustment in the individual stations to accomodate the required activity. This is no big deal.

P

You can cut the hull to any length you want, it doesn't have to be 2-9/16" exactly. I trim mine for the load I'm using. Some are 2-5/8", 2-9/16", 2-1/2" or 2-7/16". It just doesn't matter, as long as the load your using will fit.
As for needing the short kit. I would recommend trying your loader first, with out it. They are not all the same. My 16 gauge Sizemaster needs the short kit for my 2-1/2" loads. However, my 20 gauge Sizemaster will load 2-1/2" hulls without the short kit. I'm able to get enough adjustment out of it.

cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Great Info guys. By the way, I was ordering from Precision today and asked about the short kit for sixteen. They can get it on special order (they carry the others) for about $16.00....a whole lot less then their competion. Not as cheap as washers, but maybe a solution for my sizemaster. Charlie
gjw
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks all for all the great ideas!! Sure do appreicate it!!

All the best!

Greg