16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  THE WAD
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to Charles, I got my sample wad yesterday. I immediately tried it for fit in my present 3/4 ounce load using a Remingtom GL16 case and 16 check weighed grains of Green Dot. It's a perfect fit. The shot cup fully contains all of the 3/4 ounces of shot. the wad base is a very snug squeeze going in as it should be. However, once the base is past the case mouth and guide fingers, it seats home on the powder perfectly. This will be no problem. The MEC wad guide is a tough one. I've seated the tighter fitting Gualandi wads in the GL16 hull without a hitch. The new wad went in far easier and did not bulge the case walls like the Gualandi wads do. The long compression legs worked to perfection as well and kept everything lined up dead on without a hint of any cocking or buckling.

I measured the diameter of the shot cup base at about .638-.642". The wad base tapers from about .655 at the skirt up to about .645 diameter. The skirt has enough flair and the base bottom is nicely domed. It will definately spread out under compression and seal in any flake or courser ball powder well in any hull including the roomiest ones available. Perhaps there might be a bit of migration possible with a very fine grained ball like 296 in a very roomy hull. This should not be a problem. I can't think of any 16 ga load I'd use 296/H110 for--certainly not a 3/4 through one ounce load. So for all practical uses, the wad is about perfect IMO.

I did not crimp my hull closed as I want to save the wad as a keepsake. However, I did measure the space above the shot to the case rim. it will crimp perfectly without a doubt (better in fact than my present recipe which crimps a bit dished in with two 1/8 " thick card wads and 3/4 ounce of shot). This info also tells me the wad will probably do best with 7/8 ounce of shot in a Cheddite or Fiocchi hull. That is very good. I can load my rounds as needed and not have to do a lot of segregating for identity sake. The hull type used will do the job for me.

I'Ve not the least doubt in my mind that Charle's creation will be one of the single most useful 16 ga wads on the market. I can easily think of a number of uses for it right off. 3/4 ounce skeet and hunting loads, 7/8 ounce trap and hunting loads, and faster opening one ounce intermediate range loads should all be possible with carefullly selected componants. Folks, we have a winner. I can't wait to get some. Charles, please hurry up with the production line. Thanks. Very Happy
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Charles - I received my wad too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool

While my analysis was not a thorough as 16gg's, I also checked it out with my current supply of hulls (cheddite plastic, winchester/cheddite, cheddite paper, winAA, rgl, and nobel sport) and I see a good fit in all.

I also poured 3/4 ounce of 7.5s in the cup and none spilled out and the cup was full Exclamation

The wad resides on my honor shelf with old shells, patches and old 16 gauge shell boxes.

THANKS Exclamation

Dr. 16 Gauge
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:52 am  Reply with quote

It'll be so nice to load 7/8 without the hassel of fillers.

I tried some 7/8 oz loads w 18.5 GreenDot in Federals-using the G/BP standard 16 wad and puffed rice on the top with excellent results
on any clays inside 30 yds. So nice on the shoulder too.

Sure makes sense with the price of lead-thanks China.

Rizzy