16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  What (re)loaders for new hulls?
510wells
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

Given what loaded shells and once fired hulls I've been able to find I can see most probably a lot of My 16ga. shells will be loaded in new hulls so I figured I'd ask the "experts" here Very Happy about a little problem I have come across.

I have a MEC 9000GN that does a pretty good job on previously loaded hulls but does a less than steller job with new. The same is true of My PW 800+ and 375 loaders.

I talked to Jean at PW this morning and she confirmed PW loaders are designed as "reloaders" of previously fired hulls and not for new ones Shocked Who would have thought? And I always thought it was me that caused the problem Embarassed

So to the question, what is a good reloader, or loaders, that you guys have found that create good crimps and shells using new hulls?

TIA

Roi

Last edited by 510wells on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

I have another opinion(ya know everyone has one). Wink My 375 PW in 16ga has been crimping the new hulls just fine. I finished up a couple hundred old Rem. 57 primer type with 1 1/4 oz. Shocked nickle shot and they look like a factory job. I also put up a few hundred of the old Alcan/S&W hulls which look like Fiochis. The only thing I can think of is I reset the crimp starter lower. I also use the metal crimp starter from the old sets. Before I set the crimp starter lower the hulls had a small opening in the middle of the crimp.
Best,
Ron
steve voss
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Ron is correct, you must use the metal crimp starter. My 375 doesn't care what you put in it, new or fired they come out great.

sv
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:18 am  Reply with quote

So to the question, what is a good reloader, or loaders, that you guys have found that create good crimps and shells using new hulls?

TIA

Roi[/quote]

TIA, Have you considered roll crimping? I have found it works equally well with both new and used hulls. Depending on how much you shoot, the only drawback I can see with RC'ing is it is a bit slower than fold crimping, but not by much once you get .....rolling. Sorry. Rolling Eyes Take care, Mike

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I have to agree with Ron and Steve. I just finished loading a whole bunch of new old stock Active hulls using 8 point crimps on my PW 375 without a hitch and did it with the newer plastic crimp starter.
510wells
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the 16ga. tooling set from PW for My 375. Everyone here said it will work with the metal crimp starter and as it turns out that's all that PW has for the 16.

But they are currently out of stock and might be able to ship in a month Confused

Again, thanks.

Roi
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Roi,
Sorry to hear that you've got to wait a month on your tooling set. I've used both metal and plastic 12ga crimp starters on new and fired 16ga hulls with no appreciable difference. Some claim that using the metal starter on new never before crimped hulls helps to give an initial sharper crease. The PW's, and other reloaders too I'm sure, respond to fine tuning, and minor changes in settings can make a big difference in results.
One of the reasons I've got 4 800's, lol, once set they produce a wonderfull shell, but it can be a bitch getting everything just right.
Cheers,
R*2
pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

510wells wrote:

I have a MEC 9000GN that does a pretty good job on previously loaded hulls but does a less than steller job with new. The same is true of My PW 800+ and 375 loaders.

Roi

You can get a brass crimp starter for the MEC; I've had the same issue, but this resolved it:
http://www.grafs.com/shotshell/425
Stolz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:19 am  Reply with quote

That is the problem of all reloading presses. The guy in Italy told me to make the following:

Buy a rollcrimp tool and run it by 700 to 900 tpm using some case lube.

It need only a few seconds, the plastic is heated up a bit and therefor it remains then in that possition. The factory loads are finish by the same tool to assure that the crimp remains strong over years.

(When you use to much force the crimp is being lowered what increase pressure - Italian loading receipts are usually made useing such a crimp which is 1mm - american laoding receips are for 0.8mm without this procedure - therefore pressure is increased a bit by this but the loads become much more uniform)

I still search for a loading press where this is intigrated so that this sealing could be made in the press and not out side. Very time consuming to run all cartridges through a driller.