16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New to forum-quick question
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

I was guessing a basewad obstruction but all of them that I have seen were down in front of the forcing cone. I own a parker with a barrel that was bulged if front of the cone and it was not until about 3 shot later that I noticed it....the rib and underlug were coming loose and I felt the forend wiggle. It was a loose wad from the "new improved" AA shells.

I have seen a barrel split from a plastic wad in the bore, live...right next to me on a skeet field and it was not that dramatic. A hollow sound of the shot and a 6" split in the side of the barrel.

This looks more like a HARD obstruction that was way down the bore.

Whatever it was I'm glad it was out in front of his hand....

Did he ever get the smell out of his waders?

Jeff
ckirk
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Did he ever get the smell out of his waders?

Laughing ...maybe that is why he looks so perturbed Shocked

I think my neighbor said he was shooting 3 inch Federals in #2 steel when the barrel blew. He claims to have fired at incoming ducks, missing with the first shot. He racked another shell for a follow up shot and KABLAM! I believe the wad from his first shot never cleared the barrel and created the obstruction.

Silverslayer,

I didn't intend to hijack your thread. Sorry if I have offended. This event is so fresh in my head that I just wanted to share it and for me the event has truly reinforced OSL's statement...
Quote:
Just proves again...you can't be too careful!

Wishing you safe shooting,

Chris

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Jeff due to the linear form the rupture took , it had to be a very hard obstruction .

I witnessed a new Beretta take the end off , in the same manner this one did , the guy fell in the mud and didnt check the barrel , shot the gun with the mud obstruction and walaa the barrel peeled back like a banana .

This very guy said that he cleared the barrel and that it could not have been the mud , I seen this take place at about 200 yards and never seen this guy check the barrel once .

Some you win, some you dont , he lost it with Beretta like I told him he would , they could tell it was operator error , He learned a valuable lesson.

Just my take on what I know about metal.

Regards Charles
Square Load
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

Silverslayer,

Your new gun looks exactly like my '52 vintage with the same length barrel, choke and wood. I have shot mine a bunch and have had no problems. Never had it checked by a gunsmith either.

How much does your 870 weigh? Mine weighs 6# 9oz.

Dennis
TheSilverSlayer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:14 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys, I figured you guys would say take it to a smith.
Scolari
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Silver Slayer, You should probably save your money and take a good look at tha gun yourself. The 870 and 1100 series are so easy to take apart. Just write to Remington and get the little booklet that would normally come with the gun. Once you have it all apart and cleaned, it's easy to see if anything is worn to a point it dangerous. The 870 is a work horse of a gun and I would bet their is nothing wrong with it. As far as gunsmiths go, I've had some bad luck with a lot of them. It's hard to find a good honest one. Last year my friend took one to an authorized Remington repair facility to have a spring replaced and cleaned. As the problem continued , my friend showed the gun to me. It was obvious nothing had been done to the gun,not even cleaned. It still cost my friend $40. I cleaned and fixed it for nothing. So just because you take it to a "gunsmith" doesn't mean much.
TheSilverSlayer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:10 am  Reply with quote

I have stripped the gun down completely. The bore looks exceptional for a gun of its age. No rust, just a shinny tube. The bolt and reviever do apear a little worn, but nothing too serious. The gun latches up tighter then your average pawn shop gun.

However, this is only my second gun, so I don't really know how much wear would be excessive. I have a strong background in mechanics and consider myself to be very mechanically inclined. Based on my observations, the thing seems to be in decent shape.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Oil it, put it together and use it. It's not a model that is prone to problems at all. We have a Mossberg barrel that has the exact same type rupture as the one pictured,that we use for Hunter Safety demo. The owner said that it happened from a mud obstruction.