16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hey Folks, I need some advice please!
gcollins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Seems most of you folks are in the no, I live in PO DUNK Nowhere, and I need some input for you all. I don't know if I told you guys about the Super High Grade Baker that needed some fixing, and I couldn't raise the money in time( HEART BREAKER). sO wHAT i WANTED TO ASK WAS, i HAVE THIS kNICKERBOCKER THAT i PAID $60.00 FOR THAT WAS MISSING ALOT OF PARTS. But between my little Atlas lathe and picking a part here and there, and making a but stock, the gun has real nice side plates, no scrolling, no pitting, lots of room to work with. And I was hopeing maybe if you could tell me, if these people with the new lazer engravers could engrave some nice scroll work? There is a man in town that has one, about 5 years old, but before I blew my back out, I was building custome display cases, and wanted him to engrave on brass, and he didn't want to, said the bilb was to high price to burn it up on brass plates!
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I will be great full for any and all help!
Thanks Greg
TheSilverSlayer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:28 am  Reply with quote

Im not exactly sure what you're asking... But I'll give it a shot.

Yes there are machines our there that can lazer engrave metal. I used to work for a company that did it. You simply scanned or uploaded the image into the computer and adjusted the intesity depending on the type of material. It was cheap, easy and quick for us to do, but my company had to charge an arm and a leg for that type of job because the machine was so expensive. One thing to remember is if you have it lazer ingraved, you will likely have to reblue the gun. Good luck with your project.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Take a look at the Savage/Stevens (Bikal) side plated doubles and you'll see about what you'll end up with for laser engraving. As far as nice scroll work, you're probably not going to get it from a laser, at least not at an affordable price.As far as Knickerbockers go: I saw one at the flea market about 7or8 yrs. ago that had been re case colored by a gunsmithing student and was impressed by the way it looked, even though it had plain side plates. You might think about going that route. Cheesey engraving is about like poorly done checkering, you're better off with out it. That's just the way I look at it. In any case, I'd look around a little more before settling on the laser. Espescially after all the work you have into the gun already. The old Atlas is a nice machine for gun sized parts isn't it?

Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Jim Downing, The Gun Engraver does very nice work. He is in Springfield, Mo.
417-865-5953

http://www.thegunengraver.com
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

$300 for side plates on a $60 gun? Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.