16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Light Loads
TheSilverSlayer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

Can anybody recomend some good light factory loads for teaching new shooters? I'm teaching my girlfriend to shoot my 16 and she is a little recoil shy.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

I would recommend any new shooter to get introduced with one shot via a semiauto due to the reduced recoil. While a fixed breached gun will have the same recoil as an auto, the recoil duration with an auto is spread out over a longer period than a fixed breached gun. I would probably start a new shooter out with a Beretta 390 or 391 auto in a 20 gauge. Shooting some 1140 fps at 7/8oz load will be nicer than an higher velocity with a larger payload. Check out on the Internet for formulas on recoil to come up with a decent shooting combination. If your female friend has shorter arms, you may look into getting a youth/woman stock fitted for that gun. That's why the Beretta autos are a good choice because of the availability of those stocks. If you make it fun, it'll give them a reason to come out and go shooting with you.

Good luck...
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Join our Low Pressure group. There's plenty of 'girly' loads. Razz

LiverTick
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 am  Reply with quote

I'd look at RST 1oz or 7/8oz. They are a little spendy, but recoil is very manageable with these loads. The Winchester SuperX 1oz loads have very manageable recoil, too.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

Reload or beg someone else to reload for you , 3/4 OZ in the ball park of 1150-1200 FPS and you will have a shooting partner , shoot heavier and you might as well flip a coin as to whether she will shoot with you or not in the future.

I loaded the 3/4 OZ for my girlfriend and she loves to shoot , I give her the 7/8 OZ and she gave me an ultimatum ( If I have to shoot these I just wont shoot , they hurt me , the other shells doesn't hurt and they are fun to shoot )

This is what she killed her Pheasants with this past fall in the Dakota's , and looking forward to going this fall as well.

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Light weight, low recoil loads put the "fun" back in shooting for fun. They are also ideal for serious practice as well. They do less damage to our central nervous systems and to our shooting performance over the long term.

Having been a long term competative trap shooter, I can varify that continued exposure to recoil has an accumulative effect. It results in an involuntary reaction called flinching. Nobody, even the biggest, toughest folks we know are immune. They too can and will eventually develop a flinch if they continue to shoot the heavier recoiling loads without doing something to mitigate and limit the effects.

Recoil pads, padded cheek pieces, and recoil reducers are common to most serious target shooters' guns today. Others use release triggers or triggers with heavier pull weights to try to control an acquired flinch. Still others have been forced out of competative shooting due to an uncontrollable flinch.

Some of the older trap shooters I used to shoot with liked to refer to light weight, light kicking loads as "ammo for women." they'd laugh at the guys who had gone to light loads and call them "girly men."

Almost invariably, these self-proclaimed tough guys claimed that only sissies developed a flinch but not them. Oh No!! However, occasionally, one of these "heros" would have a failure to fire and nearly fall off their shooting station from the flinch they didn't have. Being the curmudgeon I am, I'd just have to say something like "nice job of not flinching." The rest of the line would usually convulse in laughter, and we'd then get on with the business of finishing that line.

This Tom foolery happened at least a couple of times each season, and it was always a hoot. It also always proved to the wiser folks among us, that recoil is something to limit or avoid. Nobody is immune.

Shooting is a game of skill and finesse, not a test of strength or toughness. The proof of this is the number of women and adolecent competators who can regularly kick 99% of the men's butts on the line on any given day. Use the lightest loads you can get away with for your practice and your fun shooting. You will be much better off in the long run.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:38 am  Reply with quote

16GG certainly hit the nail on the head , no one could have said it any better .

LOWER RECOIL = BETTER SHOOTING .

The only pellets in a pattern that matter are the ones that hit the target !!!!!!!!

LESS RECOIL = MORE PELLETS ON TARGET.

Regards Charles
ckirk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:03 am  Reply with quote

16gg,

I agree with your view that light loads are not just for women and children conveyed in the previous post. I do have a question regarding a statement you made. You said (relative to light loads)...

Quote:
They do less damage to our central nervous systems and to our shooting performance over the long term.

I may be reading to much into your comment; however, you touched on a particular area of interest for me. Are you saying that the cumulative effects shotgun recoil results in the brain and/or spinal cord damage? If so, do you have any evidence to support such statements. I am not trying to pick a fight. On the contary, I am an academic that teaches biomechanics and the neurology of human motor control. I would find such information of great interest and a possible area of research (similiar to the effects of boxing and cumulative traumatic brain injury). In terms of evidence, I am looking for either journal articles or documented cases of diagnosed brain and/or spinal cord injury related to shooting recoil.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by ckirk on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

nutcase
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:14 am  Reply with quote

Look for some Winchester Super X low brass at Sportsmans Warehouse. May not have them at every store. 16ga selection is limited to begin with, so buying that perfect load off the shelf will be difficult.

Make sure your girlfriend is mounting the gun properly and the gun fits reasonably well.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:52 am  Reply with quote

ckirk wrote:
16gg,

I agree with your view that light loads are not just for women and children conveyed in the previous post. I do have a question regarding a statement you made. You said (relative to light loads)...

Quote:
They do less damage to our central nervous systems and to our shooting performance over the long term.

I may be reading to much into your comment; however, you touched on a particular area of interest for me. Are you saying that the cumulative effects shotgun recoil results in the brain and/or spinal cord damage? If so, do you have any evidence to support such statements. I am not trying to pick a fight. On the contary, I am an academic that teaches biomechanics and the neurology of human motor control. I would find such information of great interest and a possible area of research (similiar to the effects of boxing and cumulative traumatic brain injury). In terms of evidence, I am looking for either journal articles or documented cases of diagnosed brain and/or spinal cord injury related to shooting recoil.

Regards,

Chris

Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear. I do not know of any evidence to support that shotgunning causes actual physical trauma to our brains and upper spinal cords. I'd very much doubt any claims to this being the case either. The forces of recoil we can reasonably subject ourselves to would be limited by the size and weight of a shotgun strong enough to withstand firing loads with enough recoil to cause any actual brain trauma. You undoubtedly would know more than I about just how much force is required to cause such trauma. However, I doubt I could actually lift and shoulder a shotgun big enough to do so.

I've heard of gun headache caused by repeatedly firing very heavy dangerous game rifles. However, the recoil of these very powerful class rifles is higher than that of even a 10 gauge shotgun. Perhaps there is some brain trauma being caused in this case. I do not know. I've never touched off one of these cannons. The heaviest rounds I've ever fird is a full house 375 H&H round and a couple of .458 Lotts. The firstrt one was manageable for a 1/2 dozen or so. The second was no fun at all right from the first. But even here, I'd have to guess it would take a lot of shooting with either of these two rounds to possibly cause any measurable brain trauma. I'm sure I've done more damage with good whiskey. Laughing

What I am saying is flinching is a conditioned response to the unpleasant affects of recoil. Just like the Pavlov experiments, we will eventually condition ourselve to react to the unpleasant effects of the recoil from heavy and even moderate target loads. The auto response systems of our brains and nervous system will simply take over.

Once we become conditioned to flinch, the response or flinch will be more or less permenant. We can learn to minimize and partially control the reponse, but we will always be subject to it. So it is better to avoid or delay the condition as long as possible. Use the lightest loads you can do with. It's the smart thing.
ckirk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 am  Reply with quote

16gg,

I understand your point about the conditioned flinch response due to recoil and I whole-heartedly agree that lighter is better.

I was probably reading too much into your original statement. My colleague and friend studies traumatic brain/spinal cord injury resulting from numerous activities (football/hockey collisions, heading a soccerball, and boxing to name a few). We are always on the look out for verifiable instances of traumatic brain injury for case studies. The "publish or perish" world of academe makes one go on fishing expenditions from time to time. Sometimes these fishing expeditions prove useful; otherwise, "The average graduate thesis is nothing but a transference of bones from one graveyard to another" (J. Frank Dobie).

Thanks for the reply.

Chris

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Chris 16GG is right on that though , look at me I ( KNOCK KNOCK ON WOOD ) I am building a 16 ga wad mold , see what shooting can do to you !!!!!

To put the jokes aside , when I was shooting so much , I had severe Cervical problems associated with the recoil as did some others at the time , if you went to the US Shooting Team and inquired a bit I think you would turn this up as a past problem .

If you recall back years ago , it was Bob Brister that went to Ballistic's Products to solicit the birth of a light load of small shot at HIGH VELOCITY'S for game and clay's called ultimatly the KILLER BEE'S , for a detached Retina , This was the approximatly along the same time I was involved with my UPPER CERVICAL region problems .

This is why I am a HUGE BELIEVER IN LIGHT LOADS . For instance Mike Jordan of Winchester cannot hardly even pull a trigger today from the recoil of just MILD TRAPLOADS due to the EXCESSIVE FLINCH developed over the years from shooting .

Trust me folks you think that light loads are SISSEY ?? Well these loads are your FUTURE , IF YOU LOVE TO SHOOT . I

If shooting is not a HUGE PART OF YOUR LIFE it makes little difference then .

But if you want to shoot as long as you live then I suggest that you LIGHTEN THE LOADS UP !!!!!!

Regards Charles
brdetr
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Chris,

Look in this months Shooting Sportsman magazine. There is a nice article in there about recoil and the effects on shooting.

Brian