16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Substituting Cheddite Primers
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:03 am  Reply with quote

Help me out gang. Is there any primer that a cheddite should not be substituted for????I am trying to simplfy and save money, and am considering using Cheddites in more of my loads.
I load Unique, GreenDot, Longshot and Univ. Clays, using Win 209's,
Cheds(they come in the BP pre-primed hulls) CCIM209, Fed 209A and some Rem STS209's, in BP hulls, Federal purples and Win Polyforms(the crap hull of all time.)
I just shoot target.

A rainy sunday here in Maine, hopefully spring will arrive by July.
Thanks, Rizzy

Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Dave Miles posted some loads that he had tested, some of the loads had quite higher pressure when the cheddidite 209 was use in place of the win 209. This was with the cheddidite paper hull and sr7625 powder and the sg16 wad and 6 point crimp. I just dug out my coppies. The difference was 2300 psi. He posted it on here, you might be able to find the post.
Ben
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Holy Moley...2300 psi increase!!

That scares me about the very, very few times I have ever independently substituted a component over the past 37 years without using a tested load or direct advice from the powder manufacturer.

Perhaps the etched in stone warnings from the companies to never substitute at all is more than just cover your a** liability insurance over statement and is justifiably never to be violated.

I shoot a very late model 12 (which I know is a strong gun) and realize that 2000 psi will not boost certain low pressure loads over the edge anyway in a modern gun, but why risk it? This post sure has me thinking that I'm not doing any component substituting without checking with an authority first.
birddog
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Rizzy,
The cheapest and safest way through this is to load the shell of choice with Cheddite 209's and send them to Tom Armburst for final test in pressure barrel. You'll need at least 3 shells per load and cost is somewhere around $5 per shell. Correct me here if I'm wrong guys, it's been a long night.
Charlie Wink
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Substituting primers can have an insignificant effect or a major effect on pressure. Depending on the gun and the tested pressure of the load I or may not make the substitution without testing.

For example, my favorite 1 ounce 12 gauge load tests at 6,500 psi - I'm shooting this out of a modern 3" magnum shotgun - I substitute primers without testing. As the pressure of a load increases I'm more inclined to not substitute and when it is within about 1500 - 2000 psi of maximum I don't substitute anymore.

My 16 bore was built between 1865 and 1870 and has replacement damascus barrels from the late 1870's or 1880's. I make ABSOLUTELY NO component substitutions in loads for this gun. In fact, Dave Miles gave me his favorite low pressure load which uses Winchester 209's and I have almost 8K Fiocchi 616's in stock - I sent samples loaded with the Fiocchi 616 to Tom Armbrust for testing. The results turned out great and I now have one sweet shooting load for my old 16 bore Joseph Lang.

Just a note that I did send an earlier load that I thought would work fine with a primer substitution to Tom Armbrust - I'm glad I sent it to him because the load turned out at higher pressure than I expected and much higher pressure than I want to shoot in my Lang. If my 16 was a modern gun the load would have been just fine because it was within SAAMI specs but it was above the service pressure for which my Lang is proofed.
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Continuing on this string, you know the BP pre-primed 16g hull is primed with a cheddite primer, who makes the hull as well. So Far, so good. But in "The 16g Manual" all recipes for the BP hull call for the Win209..this must be after you shoot the ched out of it and deprime. Ah, the mystery deepens.