16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Post Remington H&R NEF and Bailkal
pezman1963
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

All have dropped thier 16 gauge offering after Remington took them over.
Its sad.

Sad

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

I think if you were to take a good look at the gun market you would find that people that buy 16 gauge guns tend to buy guns that are of better quality than single shot NEF and H&R single shot guns or the Bakil. The reason Remington dropped the 870 and 1100 are that they had morphed into just plain pigs from what had been a pretty good gun. But don't be too upset there are plenty of good if not better guns out there on the used market in the same price range.

Last edited by Twice Barrel on Mon May 12, 2008 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I agree. I suspect these guns were dropped because of poor sales. If I'm going to own a 16 gauge, I want a good one. All the guns you mentioned were all built on 12 ga frames and offered none of the smooth handling qualities of a light 16 ga. If you are going to buy a gun on a 12 ga frame, it might as well be a 12 gauge.
pezman1963
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Scolari wrote:
I agree. I suspect these guns were dropped because of poor sales. If I'm going to own a 16 gauge, I want a good one. All the guns you mentioned were all built on 12 ga frames and offered none of the smooth handling qualities of a light 16 ga. If you are going to buy a gun on a 12 ga frame, it might as well be a 12 gauge.

The H&R/NEF are nice handling guns.
I have one.

popplecop
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:08 am  Reply with quote

My son has a Bikal 16 O/U he bought about 5-6 years ago to use as a canoe gun. Probabably has 1000 rds thru it, mostly pasture clays. Just starting to loosen up. Yes it is on a 12 ga. frame, ugly and all that, but they do serve a purpose for some uses. Besides I rather see him shoot steel thru it than some of the older 16s I have given him. Besides all that my youngest grandson (13) shot his first turkey with it, 23 lbs., 10.5" beard. Now that's not to shabby for a so called worthless shotgun.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:46 am  Reply with quote

16 gauge was dropped from the 2008 H&R catalog prior to the announcement of the sale to Remington.

And Remington did catalog the 16 gage Baikals for a year or two IIRC.

I do not have any market data, but I suspect overall sales of 16 gage anything is a very tiny % of the market.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

There is a lot to be said for a affordable,decent quality 16,whether Baikel or H-R Wink I appreciate a fine shotgun but also know there is a purpose for a less refined shotgun Wink Bad weather,long trips,etc.I feel no shame shooting my Ruskie 16 at a sporting clays event while owning a much higher priced Browning that stayed home that day due to bad weather--It's the score that counts not the dollar amount of the gun---I have no regrets on my purchase of the Baikel Cool maybe even looking to by a SxS version if I can find one Wink
pezman1963
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

I have one those too a pre Remington model.
A little clunky but SxS isn't bad.
I shoot skeet with mine