16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 oz. load using IMR 700x
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Got a new Mec. loader comming. Want to practice using up a can of 700x. Would also be using some WGL's. What would be a decent combo for a load to give me about 1165 fps and 7000psi or a little less. Dont have any primers or wads yet. Got a Stevens 335. Be using it for clays, 5 stand and such. It likes the RST's lite 7/8 loads. Also waiting for the new 3/4 wads.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I don't recommend 700X but 16.0 grains of Unique with a Gualandi 1621 wad and Winchester 209 primer will give you just what you want.

You can get the wads from Grafs. Unique powder and Winchester 209 primers are available most places
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the wad. I'm going to use Unique for all my loads. I was just wondering if I could use up this can of 700x. It can sit on my shelf like its been doing for 5 years. A fella just gave it to me some time ago. thanks again

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 am  Reply with quote

you could save it for 3/4 ounce loads. 14.5 grains will be fine. Another possible use would be to wait for the new 3/4 ounce wads to be released. If you add one 28 ga card wad filler to the bottom of the shot cup, you will be able to make a 5/8 ounce load using 14 to 15 grains of 700X.

I've cobbled up some 5/8 ounce loads of #8.5 or #9 shot using three such filler wads in an R16 wad. These little stingers are a ball to use on pests like starlings. they also make great recreation "no pain" skeet loads in the lightest weight, hardest kicking 16 ga doubles you have. They also pattern superbly and hit like the fist of God on stocked quail and close in woodcock. Try a few if you have any doubts. They are shockingly effective.