16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunting Vest
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:37 am  Reply with quote

It is hunting season for us Downunder and a couple of trips out with my old vest has told me I need something new. I haven't found any recent posts on vests so I hope I can get some advice from the board.

What has become clear with some online research is that folks in different parts of the States (let alone in different countries!) require different things from their upland gear. My needs are quite specific for a low volume, warm weather vest.

I don't carry much gear - one box of shells, water for me and the dog, something for us both to munch on and maybe a light windfleece strapped on the back if the weather looks changeable. I'm hunting quail and normally wouldn't be carrying any more than 6 (and that would be on my way back to the car!).

I'm chasing quail in warm winter weather - for me that is 55-odd degrees - often through heavy cover that is pretty hard on clothes, often up steep gullies that gets you puffing!

In summary I want something fairly small, something that is not hot to wear and that will stand up to a bit of abuse. What I've seen so far online that I like are:
1. Quilomene San Carlos vest
2. Orvis waxed cotton cloth strap vest
3. The Wingworks vest

If any of you have suggestions or comments they would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Ross
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:49 am  Reply with quote

Kiwi, You might want to check Filson strap vest also. Fred

Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Hi Ross

I have the WingsWorks vest and am very satisfied with it. It really puts the bulk of the weight you carry on your hips. Also the optional sternum strap really helps keep the shoulder straps where they should be since most of the weight is riding on your hips and not your shoulders. I've only had mine one season but it seems to be made of heavy duty material and expect to wear mine for a long time.

Rick

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
henrybelton
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Filson...
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Ross: I'll second Fred's suggestion of a Filson Strap Vest (which will look really cool with his new 28g DHE Parker Cool the thought of which has flared my covets something terrible despite it being the Lord's day and all Wink )
Anyway-the nice thing about strap vests is that they are light weight, cool, can carry most of what's needed in the field, and they'll fit over about anything you're wearing-rain gear or heavier clothing if needed.

Please let us know what you decide, and how it works out.

sprocket
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

I have one of these I'm gonna break in this year - solidly built vest that is more af a carry system than clothing proper.

Good luck and enjoy you season

OK - here's the link:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=patridge-strap-vest-ii&categoryId=46732&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4280&cat4=2104&shop_method=pp&feat=4280-tn&np=Y
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Another vote for the Filson strap vest in cover cloth. They make a tin cloth model, but that one has a metal buckle. I've had my Filson well over 10 years now, and there are no holes or tears. Dirty, yes. In the same period of time I could wear out two synthetic material vests.

I heard they're now making the same vest in shelter cloth (?). That's a slightly heavier material. I might go with that when/if this one dies.

But cover cloth is the lightest weight material in their line.

Sam

Chicago
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I have used the same Filson vests for over 25 years. The strap vest is very handy, but I also like the Original Hunting Vest. Both are made from "tin cloth" and I don't find the metal buckle too much of a problem, but that may be because I carry the gun broke over my shoulder until the dog starts to show game.

If you put too much in the back pocket of the strap vests they tend to pull down in back. I hunt grouse so having too much in the back pocket is a problem I would like to have more often.

Very Happy
Gobius
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

How about one of these:
http://www.mothertech.net/products_hunting.html
I haven't tried one, but I met the owner of the company. He seems pretty serious about his gear, and the stuff looks like it will stand up to some use. It's also primarily geared toward "active" hunting.

Can't go wrong with Filson or Orvis stuff either.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Sprocket:

That patridge vest looks pretty cool, but what does the back look like????

Dr. 16 Gauge
ALMODUX
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Sierra Trading Post has the Mother on sale:
$69.95

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4361,48817_Mother-Technical-Bird-Hunting-Pack-Hydration-Compatible.html
robp
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:06 am  Reply with quote

I have a filson pro guide strap vest I love it -it has a nice waist belt that distibutes the load off your shoulders and onto your legs like a backpack. Last season I halled 16 pheasants 2 miles back to the truck with it- among other features it has plastic buckels that will not damage you gun totally worth the 165.00 imo
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Bustin' - it has an orange band at the top where the shoulder material is and the pouch is typical scalloping at the sides and a dumpy-butt looking bottom.

The pockets have enough room for lose shells but loops are there too - the rear pouch is roomy and it's all waxed cotton.

I'm on the road right now but will try to get a pic posted somehow when I get home.

Cheers
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have the Filson Pro-Guide and the Quilomene. Both are outstanding vests and do exactly what they were designed to do. I tend to use the Quilomene more than the Filson, mainly due to the weather I hunt in, the integral water bladder (Not for me, for my dog. He hates hunting in warm weather and it allows me to hose him down and give him a drink), and the lighter weight. Cold weather, the Filson is hard to beat. I doubt the Quilomene will last as long as the Filson, which will probably still be hanging somewhere 100 years from now. Their stuff is virtually indestructible! I have the original Filson, but hate metal buckles scratching my guns (there is enough other stuff doing that already....), so switched to the Pro-Guide that has no metal exposed.
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a Filson Guy,

I use the Filson Vest (Old model 30 or is it 32), and I use the strap vest. Both in tin cloth. They last forever and I can really control my temps with vests, jackets, shirts, thermal choices.

As to the metal buckle, I've never had a problem, And for 10yrs I hunted with a grade III superlight Browning OU, Glossy Stock and White receiver. I don't think I can find a ding associated with my buckle. But my guns are tools not collectors, "handling" marks, and usage marks are badges of honor. Maybe that is why I like hunting with my old Fox Sterlingworth. A yoemans gun for a common guy.

I've tried other vests, jackets, strap vests, etc. I keep going back to the filson. I wish they made the vest (or somebody did) in a non waxed cloth. Just an honest buttoned hunting vest. built to work, w/o shell loops! Any suggestions to me (About the vest!) would be appreciated. Good luck in your vest hunt.

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902