16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunting Vest
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Ash Goodwin wrote:
I wish they made the vest (or somebody did) in a non waxed cloth.

Ash,

All you need do is wash the heck out of your waxed vest (maybe a few times) with strong laundry detergent. The reason Filson says not to wash the vest in a machine is that machine washing takes the paraffin out.

You can even get a kit to rewax it, should you see the need.

Sam

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

The Filson is a poor vest. Too much weight on the shoulders and not on the hips. The straps move too much and they become uncomfortable when filled with birds and shells.

I have a quilomene but I feel it is also not the greatest vest. It is better than the Filson but the shoulder straps are not in a "H" pattern which doesn't keep the strap from rubbing the back.

So far the best I have seen is the Mother. It feels like a back pack designed for carring heavy loads. It is a must have for chukar hunters
http://www.mothertech.net./products_hunting.html
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have used this Filson vest for about 17 yrs and expect it to go another 10 yrs.

Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 am  Reply with quote

Wow - thanks for all your responses! I was hoping one or two members might throw in their 2 cents worth. With so much enthusiastic feedback I feel I owe it to you all to buy 3 or 4 Filsons plus a Quilomene and a Mother! Shocked

Seriously though the help is much appreciated. I'll go check out these othere vest and let you know how I get on.

Ross
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Brian.....
I agree with you on the original Filson's, but have you tried the Pro-Guide with the waist belt? It distributes the load pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is the heat factor. I use it much more back in the midwest in cold weather than I do in California. Haven't tried the Mother yet.
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

I agree the Filson is better in the pro guide than the original but neither hold a candle to the Mother in my opinion. The ability to carry water comfortably up a chukar mountain is so important. As you know those Pudelpointers need lots of water when the temps get high. THere is no standing water in the Mojave so I need to pack it in.

I purchased the Mother a few seasons ago and it is still going strong. I bought my own water bladder for it, it's the same one I used for mountain biking. The hydration bladder I use is the Deuter.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I go through at least two bladders just for the dog. Main reason I'm retiring to cooler climes....I hate it as much as Jaeger does!
Chris Preston
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:38 am  Reply with quote

You should look at Buck's Bags Chukar vest made here in Boise. Great vest, indestructable, carries more than you need - great in hot weather

Chris Preston

I think web site is www.bucksbags.com
robp
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:04 am  Reply with quote

That bucks bag looks pretty sweet looks like the waist belt is closed by velcro?
is that correct. All these new fangled strap vest remind me of military web packs Have you tried one of these buck packs?
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:34 am  Reply with quote

You guys may be interested in this vest from this website: http://www.wingworks.biz/

grousehunter 61
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

here's a second vote for the Bucks Bag, I have had mine for 5 years, works great. Its adjustable for warn weather to very cold and lots of clothing.
sbs470
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:03 am  Reply with quote

I have a Filson in Shelter Cloth, model 631.I use it for clays and hunting.We do not have to have orange on our gear and this vest dosent have any.
I found Filson great people to deal with, especially when you are on the other side of the world.
good shooting

sbs470
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 am  Reply with quote

I have to vote for Filson. I have been using the plain, all-brown (I hate blaze orange on my own clothes) Filson strap vest for 12 years. It has always worked well. Strong, light, and cool. The only "complaint" is there's really only room for about 1 box of shells each in the front pockets.

I also have a cover cloth vest that I purchased on eBay this winter and have yet to use it. It's of the obvious sturdy, tough Filson construction and will last forever.

Another great piece of Filson equipement I use almost all the time is their widest-brim Tin cloth hat. It has an extra wide brim that keeps the sun out of the eyes. The only place it won't work is in the grouse thickets, where it'll get knocked off all the time by the brush. 8mmFan
caplock
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:41 am  Reply with quote

This Filson has served me well for the last 12 years or so. I like modifying my equipment to fit my needs so I put an extra pocket in the back for the water bag. I also sewed up the pockets to make 4 smaller pockets instead of 2 large & a few other mods that you can see in the pic. This has been a good 4 hour vest but this season I am looking to supplement it with a day pack type for the trips that will last from daylight till dark.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Nice going, Caplock. That's exactly the vest I have, minus the mods. I like the modifications, too. 8mmFan