16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  St.Louis SxS shoot!!
steve007
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:51 am  Reply with quote

We are organizing an informal SxS shoot in the St. Louis area for Saturday June 21st, at the Blackhawk sporting clay range at Old Monroe, Mo. We'll meet at noon, and shoot the standard 100 bird course. A few local L.C. Smith collectors are the organizers, and several shooters will be using classic American SxS's -- but all brands and variations are welcome.

It's an opportunity for local SxS fans to meet each other, ogle each other's guns, and tell exiting adventure stories.

It is worth noting that the famed Flatwater shoot in Syracuse,Ne.(http://www.notssmbbs.com/) started with a couple of guys posting something like this on the now semi-defunct Shooting Sportsman board. So...ya never know.

This is a link to Blackhawk. Top SC facility,imo. $30 for 100 targets. I am not primarily a SxS shooter, but....what the heck. I should shoot my SxSs more often, anyway.

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/1053

It will be helpful to know how many are coming, so a short response on this board or a PM will be appreciated.
Stack16
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Steve,
I shoot there every Weds. evening on their league. I don't see why I can't make it on the 21. As long as you let me shoot a "sweet" or a "citori" I don't own any sxs. Look fwd to meeting more 16 ga people.

Charles, (Nick), can you and Ole Ben make it up for this?

Griff
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Marked this date/event on my calendar - will try to make it.

How are the targets - can they be reached with 3/4 ounce loads and ic/light mod chokes (could shoot ms. elsie)?

also - what are the paths between shooting stands? I'd like to roll around my rugged gear cart with shells, water, and a couple of 16 ga guns if possible.

thanks.

Dr. 16 Gauge
steve007
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 am  Reply with quote

busting clays, I shot the course yesterday to test it out for you.It should be fine for your cart, and you will no doubt have friends if you bring it, as there are no riding carts for rent or loan, though some people bring their own. I, for example, have always admired you greatly, and will happily push half your cart, especially if my ammo and water are aboard. Very Happy

There are 14 stands, and the load/chokes you describe are suitable for almost all shots. On the few (two, I think) where it's a problem, just tell the squadmates you'll skip it and take extra shots at the next stand. It's not a competition; I've recommended no scorecards to the organizer,and don't plan on keeping one myself.

Stack16, the organizer of this (not me!) is an L C Smith guy,and they are known to be snooty. Wink He is limiting this to SxSs. I am loaning a buddy a SxS as he doesn't have one (I only have 3; I'm mostly an O/U guy these days), but have a fine Browning BSS Sporter (ST, SG, BTF, 28", 12g, 14 5/8" LOP) that I can loan you if you want to shoot. Or I can put you in touch with guys who have elderly American guns.
JGH
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:56 am  Reply with quote

I am the snooty L.C. Smith guy trying to get us all together for a fun day of shooting Very Happy Since it is a SxS shoot, that is what is needed to join the shoot. With that said, come on along if you dont' own one. It will be a good chance to see some neat old guns and get to know fellow SxS shooters.

This is an informal shoot and many have expressed an interest in NOT keeping score, which is fine if you want to do that. A head count would help us out as we are bringing some coolers of iced down soft drinks and water and perhaps some snacks for after the shoot.

To answer a question about loads...I shoot a 7/8oz load of 7 1/2s there exclusively with 5000 psi...and have no problems at all (except with my aim at times Embarassed )

There are a few long shots, but if you lead them right, you can knock them down with out any problems. If you don't have a cart, I don't, be prepared to walk. It is not bad, but if it's hot and humid...well...it will be hot and humid with you walking the course! I envy the guys with the gun "strollers" as that would make an easier day of packing the gun, water, and shells.

For those who have not shot this course, it indeed is a pretty fun place to shoot. They have a variety of presentations, with a mix of field shooting and woods. The lake station is among my favorite as it simulates ducks coming in from way up high, hooking down and away from your "dock" and flying into the cattails...very realistic.

We plan to start around noon, so be early so we can decide how we are going to go through the course. There is also a 5 stand range and a Skeet Field that can be shot. The 5 stand is fun...and after the Sporting Clays shoot...if some want to stick around and shoot that or Skeet...sounds great to me.

Hope all those in the general area can attend as it should be alot of fun and we hope that if there is enough interest, to start a regular shoot among our new found friends.

It is also my goal to organize a very large SxS shooting event for next year. I have been visiting the various larger facilities looking for a host that is eager to put on such an event. I will post more news about this as it progresses, but if it all comes together right...next year there will be a large shooting event for SxS's (all brands) hopefully attended by some big name dealers, vender's, etc...

Regards,

Jason
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Damn! I wish I could go. Taking my Son and Dad to WY that week!

That being said, next year looks like fun. I have a Grand-Mother in Law in East Alton, the next time I have (errr, I mean "get") to go for a visit, I will post and maybe a few of us could hook up and I could get out of the house!

Hope it goes well!

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

You know what , I might be persuaded to come , but all I have to shoot in a sxs , is a couple of dang ole Darne's not sure that they will go bang ( according to Ash ) .

I might be able to talk ole Ben into coming as well , I think my Girlfriend Amie is off that weekend as well but I know she will NOT SHOOT THE DARNE she cant hit a thing with em .

So if you will allow her to shoot her Marlin 90 in 16ga then she just might come along, she can hold the barrels horizontal if that is a problem about that type of barrel arrangement ??????

Yep we would be shooting 3/4 OZ load and I seriously doubt that any targets would be thrown out of range of our loads , just ask some of the guys at the Flatwater shoot just how far the puny loads will break targets.

Let us know something about the Marlin coming to St . Louis and shooting against the horizontal barrels for I know Amie will not shoot the Darne's .

Regards Charles
Stack16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry Guys, I read too much into " but all brands and variations are welcome". I had to re read the original post again to make sure. I stand corrected.

Griff
JGH
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

The way I see it, if there is a couple, and one is shooting a SxS...what ever it takes to get the other there is fine. After all, this is just an informal shoot where we hope that a core group of devoted SxS shooters will get to know each other and try and shoot on a somewhat regular basis.

Sounds like we might have a fair number of shooters. Hope so...
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Jason for organizing and the info and you too steve007. You will have to get another cart though if I make it as I will bring at least one more sxs of a different gauge (maybe 410 or 28 ga) for some of the closer shots. You never know Wink

Dates on my calendar and hoping weather and crisis cooperate.

I'm in for the "major" sxs shoot next year. I missed the vintage skeet this year at Northbrook Sports Club Sad as Hal moved it to Georgia and I could not get away for that long. What clubs are you considering?

Dr. 16 Gauge
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Charles-

I KNOW the damn darnes go "Bang," Its just that that is all they do! They don't bust clays (your ninety will do that), They are like a "lady finger", bang, bang! I prefer guns that go bang and bust clays. Like my Uggie, and Fox. The barrels are properly aligned, and when I shoot a clay the pieces go off like fireworks on the 4th of July! (And when I hit one like that my shooting buddies go Oooh and Ahhh, 'cause they haven't seen me do it all that much)

No wonder the French have such a difficult time with war! Their guns are designed to make noise, not to guide shot or bullet to targets!! You lay a Model 37, Model 12, an 870, and a Darne in front of a terrorist and they will only grab the Darne if a baseball bat is unavailable! I'm sure the french countryside is overrun with wild game birds, unless the Germans left a few Merkels, Suhls, etc!

BTW did I tell you I don't much care for your Darne?

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
postoak
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Charles, if you tire of that little French SxS – with the Pecan Sheller action, just send it down my way. Laughing
steve voss
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Ash,

What did you find out about your forearm latch pin?

sv
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Voss-

I've got to send it in to LCS, they want the whole shibang. They test fire them after they fix them. No charge to me other than shipping.

They were very nice on the phone, pleased with the service.

Thanks for asking,

Ash

steve voss
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Nice.

sv