16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal Game shok loads at WalMart
strato-caster
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

This has probably been asked before a hundred times but please bear with me-

Walmart offers a Federal gameshok purple hulled 1 oz of 6s load at sub 1200 fps for around $6.35 a box. Are these junk? Are they dirty burning, low antimony shot, and non reloadable hulls? Or are they worth buying a case for chukar hunting this fall? Rolling Eyes

Just curious because I've had really good luck in some of my guns with the Federal 4 packs (used to be a blue box at $15.88, now a red box for around $21). My 391s love them and don't get fouled up much, and the O/Us don't seem to mind them either. I use them alot for SC and dove hunting and seem to work quite well.

Your honest opinions are greatly appreciated.
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:06 am  Reply with quote

I don't think they are junk. I've used them for many years although the box has changed over the years. I've been trying to get Wally World to handle them in #8's. A salesman told me that wasn't an option. Only #6 shot was listed in their order catalog and indeed it was. Apparently the hull is reloadable. I give my empties to a friend who reloads them. Sometimes I find that shell at Gander Mtn in #8's. It's actually my favorite low brass shell. I've never had a misfire or another problems with the shell unlike some other brands. I recently had two Remington Gun Club shells that wouldn't go off.
chorizo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Strato:

I use Federal Gameshok #6 for chukar and the # 7.5 for quail. They are good rounds and I like the purple hull, easy to find on the ground and do a good job of knocking the birds down.

If I find them on sale, I will buy the #8's for skeet (they were available, as after your post I went out and looked in the ammo safe at what I had and I still have some.) I just checked Federal's website and they still list them for this year.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx

strato-caster
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

That is good news, since one of the local Walmarts keeps them in stock with some regularity. I should start tucking a few cases away. Is it my imagination, but it doesn't seem that these loads have gone through the roof like some of the other brands. I wish that I had some of the AAs in 16 ga. they had in stock until about a year and a half ago- I probably should have hoarded a few cases of them.

Now if I could only find the right 16 ga. to put them through.

Chorizo, I'm looking at an 871 with a decent stick of wood that weighs in at 6 lbs 3 oz, but the price is still a little out of reach. It's been sitting around for a while and is ripe for a price reduction, but it hasn't happened yet. As this economy keeps grinding away, I'm just going to bide my time and cherry pick the right one when it comes along. I've seen a few outstanding deals in the last several weeks, just not on anything I really want or have to have.
strato-caster
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Oh BTW , I forgot to ask, do you guys get them cheaper than $6.35 a box. Generally speaking it's pretty hard to beat places like WalMart, Sam's, and Costco for price on just about anything they sell, but its happened before on occasion.
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

I've never bought the shells you're talking about, but I'd say $6 is a fair price.

I pretty much snap up any 16 gauge shells I can find for that price. Things are just getting crazy when it comes to shotgun shells.
Tulsey
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:25 am  Reply with quote

Lots of loads listed for reloading., The six point crimp sometimes does not look great, but works. Probably one of the highest capacity hulls for 16 ga. Keep an eye on the basewad. They can deteriorate if they get wet. metal on the rim also will rust if it gets wet.
chorizo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:33 am  Reply with quote

I saw them for $5.35 last fall, but haven't been in for a while since I bought 6 flats of #8 and 5 flats of # 7.5 last fall. I usually go over to Ontario, Oregon (35 miles) to buy them when I hunt in the fall because it is only a couple more miles to pop over when I go bird hunting.

No sales tax in Oregon! Just don't buy gas there.

I have switched to NobelSport rounds for most of my hunting. 1 1/16 oz at 1330 fps.

I shoot open choke guns and the above combo works for me, I get great pattern density and the extra 170 fps or so gives me great knockdown.

I will continue to use the Federals early season quail and for dove, and of course clays for the #8's

Sweet16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:46 am  Reply with quote

Chorizo--

Can you tell me where you buy your NobelSport shells? How much are they?

Thanks!
chorizo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:27 am  Reply with quote

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?action=1045&brand=16-GA

$8.07 a box right now. They every so often have free shipping.

Watch the site for specials

Here is a link to the specs:

http://dkgtrading.com/nobelsport/hunting.html

Gunnut45/454
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

strato-caster
At $6.35 a box you better grab them , my wally world sells them here 6, 7.5 and they are $11.50!!! Shocked They are the only ones that sell 16 ga! I hope they reload well cause thats what going to happen with them!! As many times as I can! Very Happy

Sweet16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Gunnut--

I think the Wally World $11.50 Federal shells are the high base 1 1/8 oz. loads - the $6.35 Federals are the low base 1 oz loads (at least they are at my local stores).
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet16 wrote:
Gunnut--

I think the Wally World $11.50 Federal shells are the high base 1 1/8 oz. loads - the $6.35 Federals are the low base 1 oz loads (at least they are at my local stores).

Same here.

Dennis
Gunnut45/454
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet16
Your right thats what they are. The wife and I went skeet/trap shooting today so I burned up two boxes of them -pretty stiff load for targets! Also got to reload them -I'll maybe get one more reload out of them so I'll be looking for another brand. The skeet range does not stock AA's any more, nor 16 ga shells!! So I'll be searching for some AA's! Very Happy

16crazy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:54 am  Reply with quote

My local Walmart does not stock much in 16 gauge. But for what the local Gander Mt is charging the Wally world $6ish per box would be a bargin.

I am not sure how Gander is still in business. They are selling most 16 gaueg stuff at around $15 per box. The 28 gauge Remington express is $22 !!!!!

Yeah at $6 per box just buy!